View Full Version : 2006 Peach Open announcement - now online

rlichtefeld
06-15-2006, 12:46 PM
The Regional Vice Chair for Sanctions has just given me the go ahead for publishing the announcement.

If you have skated in the event in years past, and we have your current address, you will be getting an announcement mailed to you.

However, for everyone else, you can download it here:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachopen

We've incorporated all the changes from this year's Governing Council. (We Hope.)

Rob

flo
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Rob,
When did master's interp go to 2:10?
Nice to have the extra time.

rlichtefeld
06-15-2006, 01:06 PM
It has been that way at the Peach for the last few years.

It is not the same as the AN rules, but we have several Masters skaters that asked us to lengthen it, and so we did. That's the neat thing with non-qualifying comps!

Rob

lovepairs
06-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Rob,

Does Peach have an adult pairs competition? I wasn't able to open the announcement. The entry form PDF opened, but not the announcement--I received a Dot Easy can't locate page.

rlichtefeld
06-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Yep. Here's the events offered:

Pairs: Masters, Gold, Silver and Bronze
Freeskate: Masters, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Pre-Bronze, No-Test
Interp: Masters (with a longer time), Adults and Pairs (mixed and same sex)
Dance: Championship/Gold, Silver, Pre-Silver, Bronze, Pre-Bronze
Original Dance: Championship, Gold, Pre-Gold
Solo Dance: Gold, Pre-Gold, Silver, Pre-Silver, Pre-Bronze, Preliminary
MIF: Junior/Senior, Novice, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Pre-Bronze
Spins: Gold/Masters, Silver, Bronze, Pre-Bronze
Comp. Moves: Gold/Masters, Silver, Bronze, Pre-Bronze, No-Test
Jumps: Gold/Masters, Silver, Bronze, Pre-Bronze
Team: Gold, Bronze

The Peach Classic announcement for the all adult competition is located here:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic

I know that flo posted a question about about the Classic in this thread, but this thread is about our youth competition, the Open. The Classic thread is here:
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=20936

Rob

Rob,

Does Peach have an adult pairs competition? I wasn't able to open the announcement. The entry form PDF opened, but not the announcement--I received a Dot Easy can't locate page.

gt20001
06-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I have a question why did they limit the pre bronze to 3 jump elements and 2 spins when the governing council didnt change the well balanced requirements for pre bronze this year and previously it was the number of single and half jumps is not limited and a minimum of 2 spins and a maximum of 3 spins. The changes will really mess me up with the current pre bronze or no test program that i have been doing. I thought the freeskate rules pretty much went with the well balanced program rules.

WhisperSung
06-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Ah, pooh. I was hoping it might be in late September, early October. MN state championships are the week before in late August, so I doubt I can manage (and afford!) both competitions.

I was planning to come down to visit some law schools in the area about a month after the event.

Hey, question to the GA natives. . .is the Marietta Ice Center what used to be called Parkaire Olympic Ice? If not, did Parkaire get shut down? Just curious. I left GA in 1996 and haven't gone back since. I miss the warm weather!

rlichtefeld
06-18-2006, 03:28 PM
This was to make it inline with the Bronze WBP.

Since Pre-Bronze isn't done at Adult Nationals, the USFS won't be setting what the WBP requirements are. Also, since we are trying to be fair to the Bronze skaters, (and so we don't have many sandbaggers), we implemented our version of what a WBP ought to be for Pre-Bronze given the WBP for Bronze.

Rob

I have a question why did they limit the pre bronze to 3 jump elements and 2 spins when the governing council didnt change the well balanced requirements for pre bronze this year and previously it was the number of single and half jumps is not limited and a minimum of 2 spins and a maximum of 3 spins. The changes will really mess me up with the current pre bronze or no test program that i have been doing. I thought the freeskate rules pretty much went with the well balanced program rules.

rlichtefeld
06-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Sorry, the competition has been right at Labor Day weekend for 10 years now.

And, yes, the MIC is the old Parkaire. Same location, same size (smaller than NHL). They've been through several owners since 1996.

Rob

Ah, pooh. I was hoping it might be in late September, early October. MN state championships are the week before in late August, so I doubt I can manage (and afford!) both competitions.

I was planning to come down to visit some law schools in the area about a month after the event.

Hey, question to the GA natives. . .is the Marietta Ice Center what used to be called Parkaire Olympic Ice? If not, did Parkaire get shut down? Just curious. I left GA in 1996 and haven't gone back since. I miss the warm weather!

WhisperSung
06-18-2006, 04:10 PM
It's alright. I'd always heard of the competition but never knew when it was being held. Close but no cigar. If I go to law school down there, though, I won't have any excuses!

So Parkaire's rink is smaller than the normal regulation size? I never noticed it when I was there, but I was 12, so maybe being small meant the rink seemed bigger.

I remember when that was the only rink in the near vicinity of where I lived (before Ice Forum Kennesaw was built). The drive was a good hour from where I lived. Yuck! And Atlanta FSC was the only club. GAFSC started up the year before I moved away.

Ahhh. . .memories :)

Sorry, the competition has been right at Labor Day weekend for 10 years now.

And, yes, the MIC is the old Parkaire. Same location, same size (smaller than NHL). They've been through several owners since 1996.

Rob

Debbie S
06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Since Pre-Bronze isn't done at Adult Nationals, the USFS won't be setting what the WBP requirements are. Also, since we are trying to be fair to the Bronze skaters, (and so we don't have many sandbaggers), we implemented our version of what a WBP ought to be for Pre-Bronze given the WBP for Bronze.Except that the USFSA did set WBP requirements for Pre-Bronze, last year - it's in the rulebook with the rest of the adult WBP. It's true that the WBP for Pre-Bronze did not change this year like the WBP for the other levels, but the rules are as gt20001 said. I thought all comps sanctioned by the USFSA had to follow the rulebook? Whether you are using the current season's rules or next season's rules, Pre-Bronzers are still allowed more than 3 jump elements and up to 3 spins (remember the debate in the GC thread about a month ago? :) ).

I'm not planning to compete at Peach (got to save money for AN, if I go) but I've read these comments with interest as I am a Pre-Bronze skater, and I know that if I were going to do this comp, I'd have to compete in Bronze unless I wanted to re-choreograph my entire program. I'm not sure what you mean by being fair to the Bronze skaters, b/c it seems like these restrictions are more helpful to beginner Pre-Bronze (or No-Test) skaters that won't have to compete against the Pre-Bronzers that have all jumps up to a flip and camel combo spins.

But just b/c a Pre-Bronze skater has 4 or 5 jump elements and 3 spins in their program doesn't mean they are sandbagging. My first program, when I competed at 2004 NYI, had 6 jumping passes and 3 spins (2 half flips, waltz-toe, sal, toe loop out of a mazurka, half lutz, sal-toe - and a backspin that was really a FI double 3-turn:oops: , a sit spin that didn't really sit, and a forward scratch) - and some spirals but no footwork. I hadn't even passed the Pre-Bronze tests and even if I had and could have competed in Bronze, that program sure wouldn't have been competitive. Heck, I skated a program yesterday in a Bronze comp that followed the Bronze WBP and I wasn't competitive (see Frozen/Melting thread).

Terri C
06-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Ya know, people I was wondering the same thing myself!
As I was working on my new freeskate a few months back, I warned both coaches to enjoy what they had loaded the program up with, because I had a hunch that we'd have to change some things.
When you think about it, aren't the WBP requirements for Pre Bronze the same as Bronze from last year, minus the fact that the lutz and flying spins are not allowed?
If that is the case, then one should not be surprised that competitions such as Peach would impose this on the Pre Bronze skaters, because, we as Pre Bronze skaters may have those same new WBP requirements soon, in addition to the ban on full lutzes and flying spins that is already there.
Now, will this be implemented at Halloween Classic? I'd like to know now, since that would mean changing my program!

Debbie S
06-18-2006, 05:29 PM
When you think about it, aren't the WBP requirements for Pre Bronze the same as Bronze from last year, minus the fact that the lutz and flying spins are not allowed?.....Now, will this be implemented at Halloween Classic? I'd like to know now, since that would mean changing my program!Last year (or the current year that ends on June 30), the WBP for Pre-Bronze and Bronze (and Silver) were basically the same except that Pre-Bronze skaters were expressly limited to 3 spins and there was no limit in Bronze - there was a minimum of 2, but no max. Also Bronze skaters' spins had to be "of a different nature." Jumpwise, the only difference was the ban on lutzes in Pre-Bronze. The difference now is that instead of minimum spin requirements, there are now maximums.

I would think (and hope) that HC would defer to the rulebook and use the WBP for all levels, which in Pre-Bronze means the exact same requirements from last year, since they did not change, so your program should be fine. :)

gt20001
06-18-2006, 07:01 PM
That is exactly what i thought i thought that the competitions had to go by the well balanced rules as set by the usfsa and until they do change them officially how can a competiton make up their own rules it just seems stupid it will start to get like the compulsories where you have to change your program for each different competiton which isnt right i do know that clubs can impose their own requirements for spins, jumps, and compulsory programs but i didnt think that they could do it with the freeskate. The buckeye open is another all adult competition and their forms are already up they didnt do this i can use my current program with them but not with the peach classic. In my opinion doing this type of thing is going to chase people away and have less pre bronze and no test people competing. I am seriously reconsidering now becuase i dont know if it is worth it to change my program and travel becuase this club wants to impose rules that they think should be rules. I didnt realize that the GAFSC was the governing council and made the rules. Sorry about the rant but i was looking forward to coming to this competition and now i really dont know if i want to or not it may just be too much of a hassle.

jazzpants
06-18-2006, 11:26 PM
This was to make it inline with the Bronze WBP.

Since Pre-Bronze isn't done at Adult Nationals, the USFS won't be setting what the WBP requirements are. Also, since we are trying to be fair to the Bronze skaters, (and so we don't have many sandbaggers), we implemented our version of what a WBP ought to be for Pre-Bronze given the WBP for Bronze.Pre-Bronze FS already had their WBP implemented the year before this one and it wasn't changed this year. I could see the reason behind the choice to implement the Bronze FS WBP spins limit on Pre-Bronze. However, this may cause trouble for those Pre-Bronze skaters that has already have their Pre-Bronze skaters set up for and forces them to have to prepare for two different choreography b/c maybe another future competition may decide to follow the current Pre-Bronze WBP that's in place!

I don't know. I don't feel easy about this. It's already bad enough that Pre-Bronze skaters are not discouraged to skate up to Bronze b/c of the differences of the spins, but this one... eh... Then again, this is a local comp and from my experience, the local comps always follow their own set of WBP requirements. (For instance, Skate SF allows Pre-Bronze FS to have up to and including a lutz, but the current Pre-Bronze WBP rules allows Pre-Bronze FS skaters to have up to and including a FLIP!) :roll:

My answer to Terri would be... if you really want to know what HC is setting up for WBP requirements for Pre-Bronze FS, you're better off asking the organizers for that competition! It's their comp!

THANK GOD I'm not competing this year!!! I got better things to do than to fix my program depending on which comp I'm doing... and I have two Bronze tests that I would like to pass sometime this century??? :frus:

singerskates
06-21-2006, 11:15 PM
The Regional Vice Chair for Sanctions has just given me the go ahead for publishing the announcement.

If you have skated in the event in years past, and we have your current address, you will be getting an announcement mailed to you.

However, for everyone else, you can download it here:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachopen

We've incorporated all the changes from this year's Governing Council. (We Hope.)

Rob

Rob, Peach? What about those of us who perfer Nectarines? LOL

No really, I'm not skating all summer do to the fact that my asthma doesn't like going from the humid heat to the damp cold and back and forth. So I won't be ready and won't be going.

Have fun and keep those videos of your comp events online!

Brigitte

manleywoman
06-22-2006, 09:39 AM
I breezed through the application but couldn't find this info: is the NJS goign to be used, or 6.0?

rlichtefeld
06-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Scoring will be the 6.0 system. It should be on the bottom right of the first page.

Rob

I breezed through the application but couldn't find this info: is the NJS goign to be used, or 6.0?