View Full Version : Here's a New Concept!

lovepairs
06-15-2006, 09:50 AM
I have to get off the ice, and get off these threads to go earn a living now, so that I can get back on the ice and get back on these threads:

I'm a PA licensed Realtor with Coldwell Banker:

www.cbhomesale.com/Andrea.Cooper

What do you do for a living in order to feed your ice addiction?

Skittl1321
06-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Right now I am a textbook editor and work on math books for grades K-12.

However, I'm moving next month and really need to find a job near Iowa City. Anyone know of anybody hiring?

Debbie S
06-15-2006, 10:25 AM
However, I'm moving next month and really need to find a job near Iowa City. Anyone know of anybody hiring?Can you work remotely for your current company? A lot of publishing companies have editors that work remote - logistically, it's pretty easy for them and you to manage.

I work in marketing at a technology company.

Skittl1321
06-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Can you work remotely for your current company? A lot of publishing companies have editors that work remote - logistically, it's pretty easy for them and you to manage.

Definetly thought about that, and I can't. I can go to freelance work though, and I have told them I'm interested, as well as put out feelers at other publishers for work. Problem is, it's good pay, but not steady- and since I'll be the primary income for the family, I need steady :(

Isk8NYC
06-15-2006, 10:59 AM
For benefits and a steady paycheck, I am an operations/IT manager for a university admissions department. For the love of skating and teaching, I've coached skating since 1994.

flying~camel
06-15-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm the web developer for a foreign exchange trading company. :)

ETA: I LOVE my job and it's exactly what I wanted to do with my degree.

I'd like to get some freelance work on the side, but have no idea how to promote myself (besides, I'm not a very good designer :-/).

icedancer2
06-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm a small animal veterinarian and have managed to plan my appointment schedule around ice time and lessons and judging and other skating-related business (going to competitions, etc...):)

newskaker5
06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Im a dietitian :)

sceptique
06-15-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm a management consultant for Accenture. It's a punishment for not thinking well enough when I was 23 what I really want to be in 10 years.... God knows how I manage to cram skating and a few other hobbies into my week - not living at home 5 days a week surely hepls: less cleaning, less cooking.

lovepairs
06-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Skittl,

Where are you moving from? Do you have a real estate need in Iowa City that I can help you with, such as buying, or renting? I'd be happy to refer you to a Coldwell Banker in your new location. Good luck with you move! How exciting.

Also, IceDancer2, "Pet Sensitivity" for small animals is one of my specialties as a realtor. In other words, when showing homes I take extra special care with the home owners cats and dogs. Also, on the relocation end I recommend reputable veterinarian to help my buyers pets experience a smooth transaction during the move. After all "pets are people, too!"

Would be happy to work with you cooperatively sometime in the future if it ever comes up. I'm in Pennsylvania. Do you have a website for your small animal practice? Here is my contact info: www.cbhomesale.com/Andrea.Cooper

Maineskate
06-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Freelance writer and editor here. Plus full time mom of 3.

Julie

phoenix
06-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Freelance graphic artist/web designer, stubbornly refuse to get a full time job so I can have the flexible schedule that allows me to skate 6 days a week! I work 10 hours a week at a university which gets me health insurance, & I coach enough to more or less cover my skating expenses. When I'm done with my own training (will I EVER be done???) I want to step up the coaching hours because I love it!

www.communiquegraphics.com

Rob Dean
06-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I have a real job, but that money goes to support the family. To pay for the skating, I'm a freelance proofreader...

Rob Dean

Rusty Blades
06-15-2006, 12:44 PM
I am a designer in the communications engineering department of a major Canadian electrical utility. I used to do microelectronic design but now my job is to get the bits and bytes between centres (through 214,000 square miles, from farm land to wilderness) - backbone circuits for I.T. networks.

Looking forward to retirement in 2 years and making skating a full time (non-paying) job :roll:

flo
06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Research Scientist - Oncology.

jazzpants
06-15-2006, 01:09 PM
For the love of skating and teaching, I've coached skating since 1994.And from what I've seen last Saturday, she's a decent skating coach too... :P

I'm a Software Quality Assurance Geek.

samba
06-15-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm a management consultant for Accenture. It's a punishment for not thinking well enough when I was 23 what I really want to be in 10 years.... God knows how I manage to cram skating and a few other hobbies into my week - not living at home 5 days a week surely hepls: less cleaning, less cooking.

Bet you wish you lived near me, Accenture is just at the back of our local ice rink.

samba
06-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Brain surgeon.

Just kidding, I guess I just feel inadequate listening to you all.:cry:

lovepairs
06-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Flo,

Do you do your research under the umbrella of a University, or are you in the private sector?

doubletoe
06-15-2006, 01:28 PM
I work for a brand licensing agency. Basically, we have a client who is either a person (like George Foreman) or owns a brand name (like Maxim magazine). We license the brand name & logo out to either a manufacturer or a retailer for a percentage of sales, and we get a percentage of our client's percentage. I nestled into the contract management and market research job so that I wouldn't have to travel and miss skating! :)

pairman2
06-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi
I'm part owner of a construction company and manage the business end of things.
Website [still under construction]
http://www.indecocorp.com/

pairman2

Terri C
06-15-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm a unit secretary on a medical-surgical unit for one of our local hospitals.

badaxel
06-15-2006, 04:05 PM
I am a Fourth Grade Teacher--
In a NYC Public School!

lovepairs
06-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Wow, nice new website, Pairsman2. When will it be done?

Casey
06-15-2006, 04:39 PM
I help run http://seattleserver.com - doing website/email/server hosting and sometimes development. That's fun and lets me skate all I want but at the moment doesn't generate as much income as I'd like (I'm not a salesperson!), so I'm also working at Cingular currently, as a lab analyst. Salespeople welcome to apply - work from anywhere! ;)

phoenix
06-15-2006, 04:55 PM
I help run http://seattleserver.com - doing website/email/server hosting and sometimes development. That's fun and lets me skate all I want but at the moment doesn't generate as much income as I'd like (I'm not a salesperson!)

I hear you on the "not a salesman" thing!!! That's my worst part of my work, & I'm horrible at it. In fact, probably 99% of my business comes from referrals so I don't have to do cold calling!! I'm great at what I do, just have to learn how to let people know about me.....:giveup:

If I could get a few more clients, I'd actually be making a semi-comfortable living! (& could truly afford those lessons that I justify to myself by saying they are an "investment"... :roll: )

lizzz
06-15-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm an ER RN.
Sure comes in handy for those skating aches, pains and injuries!:roll:

lovepairs
06-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm good at sales--as you can all tell, I don't mind talking to people! LOL!!! I started this thread so that we all might be able to network with one another, exchange services, barter our goods, and refer clients to one another, all with the good intentions of raising more $$$ for you know what! Maybe, we can all help one another out from time-to-time to satifsy our ice additction: like when I fall, I call that one whose an RN, you need a home you call me, someone says they need a website developed, we call that other person, you need graphics, I call you, need drywall put up, well, you know who to call...so on and so forth...:P

Skate@Delaware
06-15-2006, 05:55 PM
I work for the government...I'm a unit clerk for an Air Force Reserve Unit. I work part-time (32 hours a week) and get to flex my hours during skating season. My boss is best friends with the skating director's wife....so when I need to skate he is very understanding! As long as my work is done without him asking...I get to!

Evelina
06-15-2006, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=sceptique]I'm a management consultant for Accenture. It's a punishment for not thinking well enough when I was 23 what I really want to be in 10 years.... QUOTE]

I was a management consultant for them until last march. I hated my job, gave it up, and am not happy and unemployed while I search for my true calling. At least I get to skate 5 days a week, if I was working there it would only be weekends.

lovepairs
06-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Evelina,

What do you think your true calling is?

froggy
06-15-2006, 07:29 PM
i work as a pediatric occupational therapist in a specialized school (the PTs there are quite helpful for all my bruises and such). I also do some contract work..homecare visits and working at an outpatient clinic to feed my costly and addictive hobby of skating. :o)

Raye
06-15-2006, 07:47 PM
I am a Certified Financial Planner, which affords me a flexible enough schedule that I can work around skating and skating related travel.

icemomma
06-15-2006, 08:09 PM
I teach fourth grade and do lots of summer inservices to fund my daughter's skating. I just get to do group lessons for myself.

mintypoppet
06-16-2006, 02:32 AM
I'm a proofreader/copy-editor for a small consultancy. Trying to find a position where I can combine my job and my degree (chemistry), but no joy yet.

lovepairs
06-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Mintypoppet,

I love your handle name! Do you know about the Chemical Heritage Foundation? Here is their link:

http://www.chemheritage.org/

I've seen them post employment opportunities for proof readers all of the time. If you were in Philly, this would be the place for you.

skateflo
06-16-2006, 05:30 AM
I've been a gas passer for 33 years----Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist in a large city hospital. It hasn't help me deal with injuries......

VegasGirl
06-16-2006, 06:16 AM
I'm a PA licensed Realtor with Coldwell Banker:

www.cbhomesale.com/Andrea.Cooper

What do you do for a living in order to feed your ice addiction?

I'm a stay-at-home Mom. :)

VegasGirl
06-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Brain surgeon.

Just kidding, I guess I just feel inadequate listening to you all.:cry:

There's no such thing... everyone is adequate in their own right!

Isk8NYC
06-16-2006, 06:41 AM
I am a Fourth Grade Teacher--
In a NYC Public School!God bless you and IceMomma too! Teachers are wonderful people.

sceptique
06-16-2006, 06:51 AM
Bet you wish you lived near me, Accenture is just at the back of our local ice rink.

In fact, it doesn't matter. In the past 2 years I have only spent maybe 10 days in total in the office, most of the time I'm working at client offices. And anyway, 12-hour days and skating do not go well together... I just keep it to weekends.

sceptique
06-16-2006, 07:03 AM
I was a management consultant for them until last march. I hated my job, gave it up, and am not happy and unemployed while I search for my true calling.

That's the very reason that makes me keep the job - I strongly believe that the search for a true calling goes better when the bills are paid. Yet I understand you - it's a demanding job that is tough enough even if you like it; if you hate it - it just destroys you. I try to think of it as a character-building experience... :lol: and of course there's always a hope that some day something else will come up.

Evelina
06-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Evelina,

What do you think your true calling is?

No idea what my true calling is, but it's the summer, and I get to skate monday to friday, so searching for it at the moment is not a bad way to live! :)

pedonskates
06-16-2006, 08:35 AM
I am a pediatric hematologist/oncologist in a university hospital. If I skate early enough in the day most people are still sleeping and let me skate. Otherwise my beeper goes off way too often!!!

Mrs Redboots
06-16-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm unemployed. The husband works for EDS.

NickiT
06-16-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm a full-time mum and proud of it! My skating is my reward for everything I do thanklessly for my family :)

Nicki

PattyP
06-16-2006, 11:01 AM
I manage an Electrical Engineering department in the Commercial Aircraft division of Boeing. I have no kids at home, but I have 22 who work for me...;)

Emberchyld
06-16-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm a mechanical engineer-- and I currently design the implants and instruments used in spinal surgery.

In an earlier consulting job, I worked a bit on hips, knees, shoulders... I like to think that I'm contributing to what I'll probably need to replace if I keep up this active lifestyle!

montanarose
06-16-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm a neuropharmacologist by training, formerly a Director for a pharmaceutical research & manufacturing company. Took early retirement (yay!) and now keep busy as a community volunteer, Golden Retriever mom and would-be skater :frus:

Ellen

Hannah
06-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I'm still a student (MBA degree next two years). Fortunately, the rink has enough skating times scattered across the week that regardless of my schedule I can find SOME time to skate.

And since I recently wrote two term papers in the span of one week (A's on both!!), I feel I can justify procrastinating on school work by skating... 8-)

samba
06-16-2006, 12:18 PM
There's no such thing... everyone is adequate in their own right!

Thanks!! something for me to remember.

oz01
06-16-2006, 03:15 PM
mother of 2 with a full time job(research scientist in a university)
I haven't skated for 25 months since I found out I was pregnant with the second baby.
Really envy all of you who can skate.
My butt is getting bigger and bigger and my goal of a clean axel seems further and further away from me:cry:

Careygram
06-16-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm a Registered Dietitian and I have just celebrated my 15 year anniversary with Johnson & Johnson. In my spare time I "manage" a very active, VERY verbose 5 year old. Oh, and the husband. Oh yeah, and the dog....

doubletoe
06-16-2006, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=Evelina][QUOTE=sceptique]I'm a management consultant for Accenture. It's a punishment for not thinking well enough when I was 23 what I really want to be in 10 years.... QUOTE]

Hey, that sounds like me! Unfortunately, after years of searching for my "true calling," I discovered that I'd already found it; it just didn't pay anything, LOL! It was figure skating. So I have stopped looking for my true calling and am instead working at a job that I don't mind too much, that pays enough for me to keep skating, and that hardly ever requires travel. I am green with envy over those whose true calling actually pays good money, LOL!

renatele
06-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Right now I'm a stay-at-home mom, as of Septermber going to be a full-time college student.

I'm a mechanical engineer-- and I currently design the implants and instruments used in spinal surgery.

In an earlier consulting job, I worked a bit on hips, knees, shoulders... I like to think that I'm contributing to what I'll probably need to replace if I keep up this active lifestyle!

Sounds like I know you in person... LMK if I do :)

mintypoppet
06-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Mintypoppet,

I love your handle name! Do you know about the Chemical Heritage Foundation? Here is their link:

http://www.chemheritage.org/

I've seen them post employment opportunities for proof readers all of the time. If you were in Philly, this would be the place for you.

I skate in order to compensate for the Mint Poppets (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/acatalog/Mint_Cream_Poppets.html) addiction :lol:

Thanks for the link - I hadn't heard of that company. I'll keep them in mind for when I get bored of Oxford!

Evelina
06-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey, that sounds like me! Unfortunately, after years of searching for my "true calling," I discovered that I'd already found it; it just didn't pay anything, LOL! It was figure skating. So I have stopped looking for my true calling and am instead working at a job that I don't mind too much, that pays enough for me to keep skating, and that hardly ever requires travel. I am green with envy over those whose true calling actually pays good money, LOL!

Well I am increasingly worried I might have to do that. If skating was my calling then I cleary missed the opportunity window to make a career out of it as having started skating at 3 I was forced to stop at 8 and have only recently picked it up again. My problem is I am not even sure what I wouldn't mind doing! I am currently seeing some career consultants to help me figure that out.

WhisperSung
06-18-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm just out a college (hard to believe it's been a year already) and work as a legal assistant for a law firm that deals with probates and trusts.

I love the job, and I create my own schedule so when I don't skate it's (usually) my own fault for being lazy.

Next year I'm applying to law schools and will hopefully have some time to skate during my 3 years of study. If I get into a part-time program instead of full-time, I'll definitely be skating and trying to get back into teaching and coaching.

NCSkater02
06-18-2006, 04:29 PM

Which company do you work for? In my prior job, I scrubbed/assisted a lot of those cases. I enjoyed them and was good at them. The docs trusted me to not take a break or leave while they were in the implant phase of the operation.

I am an operating room Registered Nurse. At my current job, I only circulate, but at my prior job, I got to scrub. I'm looking for another job--I really don't like where I am now.

manleywoman
06-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Freelance graphic artist/web designer, stubbornly refuse to get a full time job so I can have the flexible schedule that allows me to skate 6 days a week![/url]
Similarly, I do print and web design/marketing as well. But I'm able to keep flexible hours for skating because I'm the boss!:twisted:

http://www.rogue-element.com

I skate crazy early morning, and am in work by 10:00 am and work until 7:00 pm, and weekens if necessary. But the flexible schedule is key to my skating.

starskate6.0
06-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Airline Pilot
At least for now. " My last audition for chippendales was a bust " :lol: :lol:

Skate@Delaware
06-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Airline Pilot
Aw, man! Just when I was going to book my party!

mikawendy
06-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Airline Pilot

I went to uni with a fellow who was a chippendale in the summertime. He was a math major on full scholarship. He loved his summertime work though, because he was a very people person--said it was much better (for him) than an office job!

Evelina
06-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Airline Pilot

How much skating do you mange to fit in as an airline pilot? This is something I am thinking of going into but I thought that with flying all over the place it would be hard to fit anything like skating in.

VegasGirl
06-19-2006, 07:20 AM
I'm a full-time mum and proud of it! My skating is my reward for everything I do thanklessly for my family :)

Nicki

Ditto!!! :)

VegasGirl
06-19-2006, 07:26 AM
How much skating do you mange to fit in as an airline pilot? This is something I am thinking of going into but I thought that with flying all over the place it would be hard to fit anything like skating in.

I'm sure in the beginning it's really tough to find the time to skate but with time as seniority builds up and a regular route is attained it should be easier. We have quit a few friends who fly for the airlines and the once that have been at it for a while seem to have a pretty easy schedule (especially the ones that fly for FedEx) with a lot of off-days.

How are you planning on getting into flying commercially?

NickiT
06-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Ditto!!! :)

Yay! I was starting to feel a bit lonely here ;)

Nicki

Evelina
06-19-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm sure in the beginning it's really tough to find the time to skate but with time as seniority builds up and a regular route is attained it should be easier. We have quit a few friends who fly for the airlines and the once that have been at it for a while seem to have a pretty easy schedule (especially the ones that fly for FedEx) with a lot of off-days.

How are you planning on getting into flying commercially?

I looked into a couple of flight schools in the UK so far, and I know easyjet take on and train people. It is something I am looking into at the moment but as it is rather expensive here at the moment it is something I am only thinking about at this stage.

starskate6.0
06-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I looked into a couple of flight schools in the UK so far, and I know easyjet take on and train people. It is something I am looking into at the moment but as it is rather expensive here at the moment it is something I am only thinking about at this stage.

What does it take to be a pilot " $50K in training, 2 marrages,1bankruptcy, and ten years of hardship before you crack $30K a year":lol: :cry: Funny yes, sad yes, truthful YES. :??
I don't want to discourage you but this is a tough buisness, Airlines are parking planes, Gas is to expencive, tickets are cheap and a plane that flys less than 85% full in this country is loosing money, over booking is the norm to make sure the seats are full.
I am out of work at the moment. My last application received 14,000 applicants in a year for 250 jobs..Great work if you can get it. Im still looking for a job anywhere in the World right now . Im applying for jobs in Asia.. still trying though. :D I must be mad..

Emberchyld
06-19-2006, 02:15 PM

You do! *lol* The internet is a small world, isn't it?:D If I don't kill myself trying to figure out how to skate in my new skates (I was so used to balancing towards the front of my old boats that I spent all Saturday catching the toepicks in my 3 sizes smaller skates!), I'll hopefully be in the next ice show with you, too!

NCSkater02-- I work for Stryker (if nothing else, you've probably seen our beds!). I have so much respect for the OR nurses-- you know and understand the systems sometimes better than the surgeons and keep the OR going-- and how you manage to do that with some of the 5+ hour cases and some of the "sweet" dispositioned surgeons is amazing.

VegasGirl
06-19-2006, 03:52 PM
What does it take to be a pilot " $50K in training, 2 marrages,1bankruptcy, and ten years of hardship before you crack $30K a year":lol: :cry:

Or a BA in an avionics or engineering field followed by a military commission, a bit of luck and great grades to get picked for pilot training... rack up the hours... get out and apply to the airlines. :)
Btw, am married to a pilot, his first marriage, so far we have 16 years (actually 18 if you count the 2 years of living together before getting married :halo: ) and still happily counting. 8-)
Yes, it wasn't always easy... a war, countless seperations, 12 moves in 18 years etc put a toll on you but we've made it through all of it!!!

starskate6.0
06-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Or a BA in an avionics or engineering field followed by a military commission, a bit of luck and great grades to get picked for pilot training... rack up the hours... get out and apply to the airlines. :)
Btw, am married to a pilot, his first marriage, so far we have 16 years (actually 18 if you count the 2 years of living together before getting married :halo: ) and still happily counting. 8-)
Yes, it wasn't always easy... a war, countless seperations, 12 moves in 18 years etc put a toll on you but we've made it through all of it!!!

Congratulation. :D I understand exactly what you are going through. I moved every year for my airline career too. Im still lookinng for my next job but I may have to concider another career if I can't find a job in about a month..:giveup: I don't know if I can do this anymore..
Good to hear from you.. keep skating its good for the sole.:D

Skate@Delaware
06-19-2006, 05:36 PM
I am not sure what the requirements are anymore (age, education etc), as I don't get involved in that side of the Reserve house, but the Air Force Reserves is a good way to make some cash.....and stay current as a pilot...they now have the C-17 cargo plane (it is a really cool plane).

Just my 3 cent's worth. I used to fly as an Air Force crewmember (loadmaster) and it was fun while it lasted....

renatele
06-19-2006, 09:09 PM

You do! *lol* The internet is a small world, isn't it?:D If I don't kill myself trying to figure out how to skate in my new skates (I was so used to balancing towards the front of my old boats that I spent all Saturday catching the toepicks in my 3 sizes smaller skates!), I'll hopefully be in the next ice show with you, too!

Yep, internet IS a small world, and adult skating community is quite tiny comparing to it...

Now that you've found your way here on your own, can I presume that you've been bitten by the figure skating bug pretty seriously? ;) (... and you are talking about skating dresses etc, too!)

BTW you got your skates very fast! I'd love to hear all about your experience at the shop, LOL. I'll pm you.

tidesong
06-20-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm a software development engineer (aka programmer) my first job and just under a year but its funding my meager amount of skating because my parents arent making me pay rent... yet... Although it would cost more, I still wish the rink was open for public or figure skating every evening of the week (hockey just takes up all the time :frus: )

VegasGirl
06-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Im still lookinng for my next job but I may have to concider another career if I can't find a job in about a month..:giveup: I don't know if I can do this anymore...

I feel for you! We have quite a few pilot friends who decided to get out of the service and fly commercially just prior to 9/11 because at that time the demand was high... well, you and me both know what happened after and ever since!
We actually were really close not to renew his commitment back then as well, but just couldn't quite kick the AF habit yet... and a good thing it turned out to be.

Since then hubby's perspective on flying commercially has changed a bit as well... so who knows what the future will bring. 8-)

Hope you find a job soon... hang in there!!!

VegasGirl
06-20-2006, 06:42 AM
I am not sure what the requirements are anymore (age, education etc), as I don't get involved in that side of the Reserve house, but the Air Force Reserves is a good way to make some cash.....and stay current as a pilot...they now have the C-17 cargo plane (it is a really cool plane).

Hm, I don't think they take commercial pilots though... would have to look that one up... but thought you'd have to have prior military flying time to be able to get into the Reserves as a pilot.

Just my 3 cent's worth. I used to fly as an Air Force crewmember (loadmaster) and it was fun while it lasted....

Word of caution (and actually quite a big one) though... there would be a very good chance of deployment down into the Gulf! Not necessarily a fun thing to do or a fun place to be right now...

starskate6.0
06-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Hm, I don't think they take commercial pilots though... would have to look that one up... but thought you'd have to have prior military flying time to be able to get into the Reserves as a pilot.

Word of caution (and actually quite a big one) though... there would be a very good chance of deployment down into the Gulf! Not necessarily a fun thing to do or a fun place to be right now...

:?? I tend to agree and I think Im too old for the military anyway, and being Australian Im not sure they would take me. But I appreciate the help from you all....Your all good eggs...:D

Cactus Bill
06-20-2006, 08:27 AM
I am a civil engineer who is the head of the hydrology department for a small civil engineering firm (not as fancy as it sounds since I'm the only one in this department! :halo: ) But the nice thing is that my office is about 10 minutes from the ice rink so guess where I hang out during lunch!

NCSkater02
06-20-2006, 09:28 AM
NCSkater02-- I work for Stryker (if nothing else, you've probably seen our beds!). I have so much respect for the OR nurses-- you know and understand the systems sometimes better than the surgeons and keep the OR going-- and how you manage to do that with some of the 5+ hour cases and some of the "sweet" dispositioned surgeons is amazing.

My last hospital used another system (or two or three--we know how surgeons like to do things the same way) for spines, but we did use Stryker for other things. I believe some of our arthroscopy stuff was Stryker.

I still miss doing those cases, though. They were definately my favorites.

flo
06-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Starskate - any possibility of federal positions? I would think someone with a pilot's experience would be very useful in homeland security sort of things.

VegasGirl
06-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Flo,

his Australian citizenship could pose a problem with that one as well.

Skate@Delaware
06-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Flo,

his Australian citizenship could pose a problem with that one as well.
I don't think it would pose as large a problem as you think, not when we have British, Philipine and other nationalities serving in the US military.....and since homeland security is not a DOD (department of defense) organization, it shouldn't be as difficult. And Australia has "friendly nation" status.

doubletoe
06-20-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't think it would pose as large a problem as you think, not when we have British, Philipine and other nationalities serving in the US military.....and since homeland security is not a DOD (department of defense) organization, it shouldn't be as difficult. And Australia has "friendly nation" status.

Non-U.S. citizens who are in the U.S. military are in there because they choose to enlist on their own. The U.S. has no authority to require non-U.S. citizens to serve in a military capacity for the U.S.. In order for an Australian pilot to be required to serve in Iraq at the request of the U.S. military, the U.S. would have to request military assistance from Australia and then Australia would have to agree, then request military service from Australian pilots according to their own laws and practices.

doubletoe
06-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Non-U.S. citizens who are in the U.S. military are in there because they choose to enlist on their own. The U.S. has no authority to require non-U.S. citizens to serve in a military capacity for the U.S.. In order for an Australian pilot to be required to serve in Iraq at the request of the U.S. military, the U.S. would have to request military assistance from Australia and then Australia would have to agree, then request military service from Australian pilots according to their own laws and practices.

Never mind. Just got what you were trying to say.

starskate6.0
06-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks Everyone

I appreciate the help, Im still looking but Im afraid the miitary is not realy in the cards. I may have some options around October ...Thanks Everyone:)

jazzpants
06-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks Everyone

I appreciate the help, Im still looking but Im afraid the miitary is not realy in the cards. I may have some options around October ...Thanks Everyone:)Hi, again, Ross!

You thought about maybe teaching flying? It's not a lot of money but it does pays the bills. We have a few flying schools in the Bay Area, that's why I asked...

I am sorry to hear about your bad luck with your career! I hope you'll figure out something you'd be happy with in the end. :cry:

Isk8NYC
06-20-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm sure it wasn't intended, but I think it's funny that this thread was hijacked by a discussion of the military and pilots.

Sorry about that, Lovepairs.

sexyskates
06-20-2006, 09:27 PM
I am a relief veterinarian and schedule my work hours around skating times - I usually work afternoon-evenings so I can enjoy the empty late morning ice. My profession is very busy in the summer. So I work more in the summer which works out perfect with there being less ice.

icedancer2
06-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow -- another veterinarian who skates???

Where are you??? (the vets are going to hijack the thread now!!!).

Actually I knew another vet in New Hampshire who was an ice dancer. Is that you?

lovepairs
06-21-2006, 04:56 AM
I know another veterinarian who skates men's singles in Oriom, PA!

Mrs Redboots
06-21-2006, 05:41 AM
And I know one (only they're called "veterinary surgeons" in the UK) who is just coming out of the learn-to-skate level, and looks as though he'll be a useful addition to the adult skating community in another year or so!

Skate@Delaware
06-21-2006, 08:16 AM
This is really interesting! We have a veterinarian mom that skates occasionally, but her daughters skate and are really good. I wish she skated more as it would be nice, she is a pretty decent skater!

Rusty Blades
06-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Strange . . . the vet I use doesn't skate - she should - she's over 6 feet tall and skinny - she'd be impressive - but she is the President of one of the rural clubs and her daughter is a pretty good skater.

Skittl1321
06-21-2006, 09:55 AM
I don't currently use a vet- but I was suprised at the number of skating editors who posted.

icedancer2
06-21-2006, 10:52 AM
There is actually another vet in my area that used to skate -- I don't see her around much anymore. I suspect her practice has gotten busier...

I was amazed at the numbers of editors and also the numbers of people in the medically-allied fields and research.

This is fun. Maybe we vets that skate should start a club -- it could be called "Veterinarians for Figure Skating" or something (there are similiar groups like "Gay and Lesbian Veterinarians" "Christian Veterinarians" "Allergic Veterinarians", etc. (yup 8O )

And yes, Mrs. Redboots, in England we are called "veterinary surgeons" (which is kind of a misnomer because although we are all trained to do surgery and do some surgery, not all of us do surgery anymore -- I don't enjoy it so I don't do it at all) and also we are not considered "Doctors" in England, at least they don't have the title "Dr. so-and-so" and are called "Mr. So-and-So" (or in my case, Mrs., I guess...)

Hijacking threads!! My new hobby!!:twisted:

jenlyon60
06-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I know of a vet in the Houston area who is an adult competitive ice dancer. She and her partner won Silver Dance at AN's this year.

twinkle
06-21-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm a primary school teacher - now in North London. I start a new job there in September.

Sonic
06-21-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm an editorial assistant at a publishing company...I like my job (mostly!) just wish it paid decently so I could afford more skating lessons lol!:lol:

S xx

sceptique
06-21-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm an editorial assistant at a publishing company...

It was my first job very long ago....

Sonic
06-21-2006, 04:06 PM
It was my first job very long ago....

Cool...are you still in publishing, sceptique?

S xxx

lovepairs
06-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm sure it wasn't intended, but I think it's funny that this thread was hijacked by a discussion of the military and pilots.

Sorry about that, Lovepairs.

I don't mind the thread being hijacked at all just as long it's in good nature...gee, I've hijacked a thread, or two myself! :halo:

I missed my calling: I really wanted to be a veterinarian :cry: I went to art school, instead :cry: big mistake :frus: waste 'o money 8O Oh, well... but, I lucked out with a great pairs partner and several great great coaches, too! :P

How many people deep down inside think skating is more important than their jobs, and why?

sceptique
06-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Cool...are you still in publishing, sceptique?

S xxx

Alas, no! If you scroll up you'll find a bit of rant about my present job.
There was a period in my life when I was so desperate for money I'd do anything short of contract killing... I ended up doing an MBA.

If I were totally free in my choice, I'd rather be a journalist or a writer. In fact, anything "creative" would do. But for now I just want to get my UK papers sorted out before I start making any career moves (only 2 years to go and praying that Home Office doesn't change the rules again!)

kittie067
06-21-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm a student recently graduated from high school.
Cant wait to go to university!!(they have an ice rink i can skate for free!!!)

Im thinking of going into english, and then becoming a journalist, or freelance writer I guess you would call it.

I need advice, does this sound like a good idea?? Seeing how there are several editors, what exactly do you do? I'd like a stay-at-home kind of job, or one that is quiet... I guess you could say.

thanx!

~kittie

Skittl1321
06-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Well, I'm an editor, but not a journalist. I edit math textbooks for grades K-12.

I really like it. What I currently do is not a stay-at-home kind of a job but a 8-5 (or in my case 7-4) office position. I do a lot more writing than the position of "editor" would make you think- so for educational publishing it is important to have some pedagogy knowledge that either an education degree or teaching experience would give you- most of our editors are former teachers, but I'm the exception. I also do actual editing of work that comes in from other writers, format things to go into production, review illustrations and images to make sure they fit the text- and lots of other stuff. I really enjoy the job, but some days it is so busy and deadlines are so tight I go crazy. The starting salary out of college is about the same as what I expected to make as a teacher (which I planned on doing, but I moved out of state)

Now, at least for our company, freelancers- who do not work in the office, but at their homes, get paid at rates WAY higher than what the full time editors are paid- but the work isn't steady- and very hard to get if you don't have experience. I don't know what the pay is like for other companies, but at mine it's good money, if you can get it. We don't use freelancers a lot because it is so expensive for the company, so except for the really experienced ones it would be tough to have it as a dependable income.

But overall the publishing industry is interesting to work in.

sexyskates
06-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi Icedancer2!
I am on Long Island (NY). I know one veterinarian in the area who was a really good competitive skater as a teen and and still does huge double jumps! She does not care to compete anymore though and has moved on to other hobbies. I am a true late start adult skater, so I am very passionate about it. Of course, I am still improving (there is no where to go but up when you start late), and so it's exciting. I LOVE the all adult comps! Where do live Icedancer2?

icedancer2
06-21-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm in Portland, OR

AshBugg44
06-21-2006, 10:19 PM
I work at the ice rink, usually as a shift supervisor, but a camp counselor during the summer with the skating day camp we run. I'm also a skating coach!

Thin-Ice
06-22-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm a TV newswriter/producer. But I've written for radio, newspapers and magazines, too. While I really like writing, if I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I'd do this for a living. The business has changed so much since I started. (My third or fourth job was helping to put Cable News Network (CNN) on-line in 1980.)

It used to be the NEWS business (as in, the most important thing is getting the news and making sure it's accurate). Now it's the news BUSINESS (meaning it's ok to get the story, as long as it doesn't cost too much and we keep all our viewers entertained so maybe we get some more viewers and then we can charge more for our commercials.) I know it's not completely that way.. but it certainly has been leaning more in that direction the past few years.

Yes, it can be exciting.. but frequently, it's not. It also includes working with a lot of people who think they know EVERYTHING about the BEST way to do EVERYTHING because they are on TV or because they talk to people who are on TV, working weird hours and holidays and staying late and coming in early when there's a really big story or disaster and you'd really rather be home with your family and friends during that huge winter storm or whatever that is keeping everyone else home.

(This actually SOUNDS more bitter than I actually feel.. but these are all things that no one tells you until it's way too late!)

I'm a student recently graduated from high school.
Cant wait to go to university!!(they have an ice rink i can skate for free!!!)

Im thinking of going into english, and then becoming a journalist, or freelance writer I guess you would call it.

I need advice, does this sound like a good idea?? Seeing how there are several editors, what exactly do you do? I'd like a stay-at-home kind of job, or one that is quiet... I guess you could say.

thanx!

~kittie

Where are you, Kittie? If you're in the US, English isn't the best major for a future-journalist. Either major in journalism or something you are passionate about. That way you have a jump on everyone else who thinks "anyone can write".. because you have something you are more of an expert on that you CAN write about. I'd suggest economics or health issues or Asian culture or Middle Eastern history or International Relations... all things that come up in a surprising variety of topics in my day-to-day work.

Journalism isn't usually quiet and is not really a stay-at-home kind of job. And unless you're writing something that's completely about you and your life, neither is most freelance writing. You usually have to go to where the story (person/event/place you are writing about) is.. or where you can find out more about the story, whether that's through interviews with people who are experts on what you're writing about.. or the library, where someone else has already written reams about what you're writing about.

But once you've done it for a while, it DOES pay the bills.. including the ones for ice time, coaching fees, competition entries, travel to competitions, etc. and you almost ALWAYS have something to talk to nearly anyone about, since you usually know quite a bit about a lot of different topics!

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2006, 04:56 AM
Talking of vets, isn't Photos on Ice (http://www.photosonice.com/)'s wife a vet, even though she's mostly a photographer and they don't skate competitively any more anyway.

I'm a primary school teacher - now in North London. I start a new job there in September.
Whereabouts in North London? My daughter's living in Crouch End now, lovely and convenient for Alexandra Palace - pity she doesn't want to skate, although she is thinking of holding her wedding reception there. Not in the ice rink, though! Only I do things like that (our Silver wedding party!).

twinkle
06-22-2006, 05:43 AM
School is in Burnt Oak but I don't know where I'm going to live yet. I don't really know the area well so if you could tell me any good places to look or where to avoid that would be excellent. I want it to be between Burnt Oak and Alexandra Palace so that I can carry on skating.

VegasGirl
06-22-2006, 07:55 AM
How many people deep down inside think skating is more important than their jobs, and why?

There is nothing more important than my job, nothing!

Skittl1321
06-22-2006, 08:12 AM
There is nothing more important than my job, nothing!

I had to go back and look at what you said you did. For a second- with that emphasis- I was wondering if you might be crazy.

But based on your job title, i'd say that's about right :)

sceptique
06-22-2006, 08:56 AM

I don't even hide it deep inside. I make it pretty clear that I:
- will not socialize with my colleagues after work, unless I feel I want it;
- will not work at weekends no matter what;
- unlikely to get involved into any extracurriculum ativities at work unless they involve skating (I did offer lessons to my colleagues when I was based close to a skating rink, and some took the offer).

To put it bluntly, I'd do what's required to get the job done, but none beyond that because all my scarce spare time is already commited elsewhere. I guess, for some people this additide is a norm, but for me it's a step change as I used to be an absolute workaholic. I guess I still am, but now I have two jobs, and one is, unfortunately, unpaid.

Isk8NYC
06-22-2006, 09:01 AM
There is nothing more important than my job, nothing!I totally agree, given your job. I miss being at home with my kids, but you have to do what you have to do at times. That's why we're going to relocate; it will give me that opportunity.

Rusty Blades
06-22-2006, 09:02 AM

I enjoy my work, I really do! Howsomever, I work to pay for skating.

If I was filthy rich, I would simply skate. Think of all those uncrowed hours during the day! Heck, if I was rich, I would probably have a bit of private ice everyday (And then club ice to skate with my friends).

I have worked since I was little, just big enough to carry a gallon jug of water to the fields so one day soon I will QUIT and do what I want, when I want.

Isk8NYC
06-22-2006, 11:26 AM
FYI: I have a bunch of alerts running that notify me about jobs related to skating.

As I find interesting ones, I post them in the "Trading Posts" forums.
There's a cool one for ABC sports if you're a journalist/reporter.

Plus, the USFSA is looking for a Graphic Designer (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobseeker/jobsearch/linkoff_basic.html;_ylt=AuAOwx7VnUad1nizjlH7i2f6Q6 IX?lo=http%3A%2F%2Fusngbjobs.teamworkonline.com%2F teamwork%2Fjobs%2Fjobs.cfm%3Fsupcat%3D551%26amp%3B supcat_name%3DInternet%2FNew%2520Media).

lovepairs
06-22-2006, 12:28 PM
If I was filthy rich, I would simply skate. Think of all those uncrowed hours during the day! Heck, if I was rich, I would probably have a bit of private ice everyday (And then club ice to skate with my friends).

I'd just build my own rink and call it a day. In fact, I buy lottery tickets hoping this will happen. If it happens, you can come skate with me! :P

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2006, 01:13 PM
School is in Burnt Oak but I don't know where I'm going to live yet. I don't really know the area well so if you could tell me any good places to look or where to avoid that would be excellent. I want it to be between Burnt Oak and Alexandra Palace so that I can carry on skating.I've no idea, I'm afraid - we're definitely South London types.... one of the Daughter's friends even sent her a sympathy card when she moved to North London!

Ask around at AP, I'm sure people there will know.

sceptique
06-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I'd just build my own rink and call it a day.

You know, the more I think about it (and I've been thinking it over for a while), the more it seems like a good idea. All I need is a viable business plan, an investor and a reliable contractor. I even know a perfect, commercially solid place to build it - unfortunatelly it's 6 time zones away from where I live now and I'm not planning on moving back there just yet. :lol:

This way I could still do things I love - business operations, marketing etc., have my office right next to the rink (meeting room overseeing the ice pad - yummm!), so I could a quick skate before work, get to know skaters, coaches, organize competitions and make some living out of it. If only I can figure out how to make the whole thing profitable and sell the idea to some VCs!

Rusty Blades
06-22-2006, 02:23 PM
I'd just build my own rink and call it a day. In fact, I buy lottery tickets hoping this will happen. If it happens, you can come skate with me! :P

Wanna see my rink plans? ;)

jazzpants
06-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Wanna see my rink plans? ;)I do!!! :twisted:

(Okay, letting my mind go crazy and imagine...)

My plans would be an Olympic size rink and a guest home for coaches to fly in and spend the night (and of course, a private plane so they can fly over anytime!!!) It will have to be an indoor rink though, since I like regulating the temperature of the rink, but it will have a nice window view of the Bay or Ocean!!! As for food, we can either have my chef/butler prepare foods, or go out to San Francisco with my limo/sedan driver and go someplace, since there's TONS of places to eat in San Francisco! But there will be a side small fridge stocked with drinks and cold snacks like fruits, sweets, sushis, etc...

No need for Zamboni drivers... I wil drive the Zamboni myself!!! :twisted: (I always wanted to drive the Zam...) 8-)

VegasGirl
06-22-2006, 02:57 PM
I totally agree, given your job. I miss being at home with my kids, but you have to do what you have to do at times. That's why we're going to relocate; it will give me that opportunity.

That's great and I wish you guys all the best in the endeavour!
And yes, you're right, you have to do what you have to do even if at times it's things you don't like to do!

Like in the beginning when our kids were just born and my husband didn't make the money he's making now... we definitely had to cut back and forgoe unnecessary things (real vacations, expensive hobbies or clothes etc, eating out or going to the movies on a regular basis etc) but it was well worth it being able to stay home with the kids!

Rusty Blades
06-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Ok, 2 full-sized ice surfaces - one practice, one competition - and a couple of smaller teaching patches. The competition rink will have nice seats for spectators and the practice rink will have LOTS of mirrors. Neither will have "boards", just a fancy railing. They will all have nice lighting and sound systems with remote controls. There will be video tape facilities and monitors in each rink for instant playback/review.

The dressing rooms will be nicely furnished (no wooden benches!) with hot and cold running water, individual showers, and lots of lockers. There will be mirrors and makeup tables, sofas, tables and chairs, etc. There will be an office wing with nicely appointed offices for a number of coaches, complete with desks, telephones, and an answering service. There will also be a skater's lounge and a few rooms for over-night guests.

The whole facility will, of course be FIGURE SKATING ONLY! Anybody found in possession of a puck or hockey skates will be drawn and quartered!

VegasGirl
06-22-2006, 03:03 PM
If I was filthy rich, I would simply skate. Think of all those uncrowed hours during the day!

To be totally honest, if I was filthy rich I'd probably still not skate any more than I do now... skating is simply something I do to do something for myself, a means of socializing, nothing more nothing less... no need to change much about it, though what I would do if I was filthy rich is fly my coach in from Vegas twice a week for private lessons. :)
Oh and I'd get myself some horses and a nice riding facility since that is more of a passion to me.

Then again, no real need to do either, so I guess I'm rich enough as is... actually rich beyond belief because you can't put a price on total contendness and happiness... or can you?

VegasGirl
06-22-2006, 03:06 PM
The whole facility will, of course be FIGURE SKATING ONLY! Anybody found in possession of a puck or hockey skates will be drawn and quartered!

Hm, you just burst my bubble... :( in that case I'd have to decline... not just would that exclude my son and some of my good friends but also on occassion me since I still like to lace on a pair of hockey skates of and on myself. 8-)

Skittl1321
06-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Hm, you just burst my bubble... :( in that case I'd have to decline... not just would that exclude my son and some of my good friends but also on occassion me since I still like to lace on a pair of hockey skates of and on myself. 8-)

What if we added another sheet of ice- that had hockey time scheduled on it?

VegasGirl
06-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Ok, that would do... :)

flippet
06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm finding all the 'editor' posts interesting, too. I'm considering a career change, but I have no idea into what. (I'm currently in the para-library field, meaning I've been dinking around with assorted and sundry library jobs since college student work, but don't have a library degree--have a BA in English instead.) I've thought of editing/publishing, but I'm really not a fan of writing. I can do it, I wrote great papers for school, but my strength leans more toward spelling/grammar and phrase-twisting than coming up with creative ideas or topics. And the idea of journalism/newswriting gives me the willies. So, if there were some copyediting job somewhere, that was really mostly just that, it would probably be up my alley. I'm just getting the feeling that a lot of those jobs want more than that, at least a degree or experience with journalism.

Of course, there's always the physical therapy idea floating around as well. Nice, except I just figured out that school would cost me over $100,000. Serious ouch....and maybe not even possible, what with all the school loans I already have and can't pay back because I'm not making enough.

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack.

Oh, and 'allergic vets'.....yikes! I never even thought! 8O How horrible, to have something like that potentially keep you out of your dream career!

Rusty Blades
06-22-2006, 07:52 PM
What if we added another sheet of ice- that had hockey time scheduled on it?

No way! Uh-uh, never, not even in the same COUNTY! 8O Hockey players have a zillion places to skate (at least up here) and are displacing figure skaters at every turn! We need a refuge!

Casey
06-22-2006, 08:23 PM
No way! Uh-uh, never, not even in the same COUNTY! 8O Hockey players have a zillion places to skate (at least up here) and are displacing figure skaters at every turn! We need a refuge!
Indeed!! :bow:

Casey
06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Until a month ago, I spent the last year skating full-time, and working a small bit in the evenings on my own business to support it.

jazzpants
06-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Ok, 2 full-sized ice surfaces - one practice, one competition - and a couple of smaller teaching patches. The competition rink will have nice seats for spectators and the practice rink will have LOTS of mirrors. Neither will have "boards", just a fancy railing. They will all have nice lighting and sound systems with remote controls. There will be video tape facilities and monitors in each rink for instant playback/review.

The dressing rooms will be nicely furnished (no wooden benches!) with hot and cold running water, individual showers, and lots of lockers. There will be mirrors and makeup tables, sofas, tables and chairs, etc. There will be an office wing with nicely appointed offices for a number of coaches, complete with desks, telephones, and an answering service. There will also be a skater's lounge and a few rooms for over-night guests.

The whole facility will, of course be FIGURE SKATING ONLY! Anybody found in possession of a puck or hockey skates will be drawn and quartered!MUST have the good sound system with remote control, mirror and the video cameras!!! (Or if not mirrors, at least reflective plexiglass that doesn't fog up at a moment's notice. C'mon! Not all the skaters are thinking naughty thoughts on the ice, are they... :P :twisted: :lol: )

AMEN!!! I've seen enough rinks where hockey is king! Thankfully, in my neck of the woods, some of the BEST figure skating coaches and skaters are also in my neck of the woods!

sexyskates
06-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey Icedancer2!
My hubby and I love Oregon! He is big into windsurfing and I love hiking, so we will be in Hood River the middle of July for vacation! Have you always lived there?

Evelina
06-23-2006, 07:35 AM
Until a month ago, I spent the last year skating full-time, and working a small bit in the evenings on my own business to support it.

At the moment that's what I am doing - the sakting full time that is. I'm not sure what I want to do so that's why I am having a hard time looking for work, but one thing I know is that it can't interfere with my skating!:)

icedancer2
06-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey Icedancer2!
My hubby and I love Oregon! He is big into windsurfing and I love hiking, so we will be in Hood River the middle of July for vacation! Have you always lived there?

No, I have not always lived here!

You should come to Portland or Vancouver while you are in the area (really, only maybe less than an hour west of where you will be) and we can go for a skate!!!:)

Vets on ice. I love it!!:P

Terri C
06-23-2006, 03:48 PM
I just finished a tiring 51 hour workweek, where it was so busy at work that I cancelled lessons and practice this week. The overtime I'll get, well guess what that will go to? Next season's competitions!

sexyskates
06-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey Icedancer2!
How are your summer sessions? Is the ice clogged with kiddies?

NCSkater02
06-23-2006, 09:30 PM

But what about us figure skaters that are thinking about learning to play hockey?? (Like I need another expensive sport!) Can you add a third rink for us?

Says the skater in Raleigh, home of the 2006 Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes.

lovepairs
06-24-2006, 03:19 PM
How are your summer sessions? Is the ice clogged with kiddies?

The correct terminology is "princesses." Is the ice clogged with little princesses? Is the correct way to say this... :frus:

Okay, here's a new thread:

Why do parents who have 3 year olds who can't skate, barely out of diapers, and are at the most two feet tall, put them out there on the ice on high level sessions with dancers, pair teams, ect... Do these parents have a death wish, or am I missing something here?

Skate@Delaware
06-24-2006, 03:33 PM
The correct terminology is "princesses." Is the ice clogged with little princesses? Is the correct way to say this... :frus:
I thought they were called "targets"??? JUST KIDDING (maybe):twisted:

Actually, i've called them ASTEROIDS because they seem to come out of nowhere and fast!!! 8O

Sk8pdx
06-24-2006, 11:37 PM
I thought they were called "targets"??? JUST KIDDING (maybe):twisted:

Actually, i've called them ASTEROIDS because they seem to come out of nowhere and fast!!! 8O

During public sessions, even worse is one of these little speed bumps ... I mean, "little princesses" using an "easyskater" as a jungle gym aiming directly towards you when you are trying to practice spins. Moms, I implrore you, can you please guide them away from the center of the ice?

Skate@Delaware
06-25-2006, 07:13 AM
During public sessions, even worse is one of these little speed bumps ... I mean, "little princesses" using an "easyskater" as a jungle gym aiming directly towards you when you are trying to practice spins. Moms, I implrore you, can you please guide them away from the center of the ice?
We always have problems with the little hockey player wanna-be's zinging through the center doing "speed drills" (against the rules).....would a leg out be appropriate here? :twisted: Even though they see you doing jumps and spins and crossovers on the circle.

I put my EVIL MOM hat on and chase them off.....usually works! (disclaimer-i only do this at my home rink)