View Full Version : Skating withdrawal

looplover
06-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Wow. I am convinced that skating really is addictive. I've only been off ice one of the prescribed four weeks so far and I feel that I am having cravings to go practice. I just read the waltz jump thread and since I finally got the hang of a good high waltz jump (oh, you jump OUT of the circle!) now I am having an intense waltz jump craving :o

Hope I don't need surgery because I am skating July 8 and that's just that!

Heck if I need surgery I might as well go have a good intense practice the day before and do every jump and spin I know :??

--pouty and watching from the bleachers

Rusty Blades
06-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Well Loop, I have been off the ice only 3 weeks (come Saturday) and I just COULDN'T do it! I am supposed to be "a responsible adult" but I went out and rented a WHOLE RINK - 1 hour tomorrow and 2 hours next Friday 'cause there's no other skating. I refuse to admit what it costs to rent a rink!

It's going to be fun though - looks like there will only be 3 of us tomorrow, maybe 4 next week. I am very much looking forward to not having to stay out of the way of the hot-shot young ladies and worrying about stepping on a little one.

I'd invite you to join me but it would be quite a trip to Manitoba!

It's MY party! I invite who I want :roll:

Chico
06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
I agree, skating is addictive.

Chico

SkatingOnClouds
06-15-2006, 03:27 AM
Yeah, I've been off ice for 3 weeks, and hating every minute of it. What makes it worse is that I still have to take my daughter to skate, so I get to watch everyone else working on things. It is interesting spending time as a skating mum, but it is frustrating.

When I asked my physiotherapist if it would be a bad thing for me to skate "just around and around" he said not for at least another week. How long that means it's going to take for my injury to recover enough to skate properly, who knows. :giveup:

Evelina
06-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Definitelly addictive. I can't stay off the ice for more then a couple of days, and when I'm not skating on ice I am thinking about it!

Skittl1321
06-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Well Loop, I have been off the ice only 3 weeks (come Saturday) and I just COULDN'T do it! I am supposed to be "a responsible adult" but I went out and rented a WHOLE RINK - 1 hour tomorrow and 2 hours next Friday 'cause there's no other skating. I refuse to admit what it costs to rent a rink!

Our rink offers to rent the rink out for an hour at a time, and it was way more affordable than I thought it would be (although this is city resident rates- I'm not sure what non-resident rates- which I pay- would be). Problem is, if you rent in the summer you get a concrete floor. So it doesn't solve my problem at all.
http://www.ketteringoh.org/newweb/departments/recreation/rec_rental_ice.php

But I found an alternate summer rink and am skating 1x per week in a 1 hour group lesson.

As for being forced off ice- because I was forced out of dance for months, on multiple occasions, I know how it feels. Injuries suck. But they need time to heal.

Rusty Blades
06-15-2006, 07:11 AM
That's not bad Skitt! I paid $135/hour (Canadian) for 4:40-5:40 time slot and got a second one "for free" (June special :roll: ) and the 5:40-6:40 slot was $165 - 3 hours for $300

Oh, I said I wasn't going to admit what I paid :lol: Oh well. . .

Skittl1321
06-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Dianne that sounds like a great rate.

And the whole rink to yourself! (well with friends...)

Skate@Delaware
06-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I go to a summer rink, drive about 1.5 hours to get there. With gas at $3 a gallon, and tolls, I'm only going about 2-4 times a month. My rink shut down for the summer in April so it's a pretty long off-ice. It won't re-open until September.

I will have another alternative rink, same drive time but my coach will be there, beginning in August.

I just got new blades (which rock!) and now I want to skate all the time again.......life is soooo unfair sometimes! Well, at least i can kick up my off-ice and jump on my trampoline!

AndreaUK
06-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Hiya

Yeah I understand fully. For me ice skating is more than an addiction it is an obsession. If I could skate all day every day it still wouldnt be enough. At the moment Im only managing 4-6 hours skating per week and its just not nearly enough. I go crazy those days I cant skate. Its getting so rediculous I find im sulking and almost pining to skate.

Andrea

Skate@Delaware
06-15-2006, 09:04 AM
When it gets really really bad, i pop in a skating movie or a competition dvd...sappy I know, but it helps. If I can't skate, i watch it on tv.

Rusty Blades
06-15-2006, 09:16 AM
For me ice skating is more than an addiction it is an obsession.

Ain't that the TRUTH!

There MUST be some reason why I bulldozed my south yard this spring to have a 45 x85 foot rink next fall! 8O (Do "sane" people take a bulldozer to their yard?)

Isk8NYC
06-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Dianne - Thanks for the coffee-splattering laugh this morning!

* Isk8NYC wanders off thinking about someone having room for a seasonal ice rink bigger than her own home's LOT SIZE! *

lovepairs
06-15-2006, 09:34 AM
It's totally addictive. You'll know it when you take a second mortgage on your house, so that you can continue skating. That's when you will have clear evidence that you are an ice addict! :lol:

jammers
06-15-2006, 10:11 AM
it's as addictive as anything else you love. and it's even worse when someone takes it away from you!

skating diva
06-15-2006, 10:14 AM
oh i feel the same exact way i have been of the ice for about 3 weeks i hate it :x

flo
06-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I've actually come to enjoy my breaks from skating. When I was a beginner I had withdrawl if I was away from the ice more than a day, but now it's different. I do like to take a short break right after each nationals (let things heal) and get all the things done that I've pushed aside for skating, as well as do all the other things I enjoy - like working on my house. After a break I go back so much stronger. And I don't really feel I'm 'away" from skating at all. I paint fabric for new dresses, cut music, work on other skaters' costumes, and so on.

I've been on our club board and VP for a few years now. I've loved it, but it does take up an amazing amount of time. This year I declined the board nomination and am volunteering for the local dog rescue and Habitat for Humanity.

I've not skated since Mountain Cup, and my feet are finally healed from the killer boots! Now it's back to the ice to try the old ones again. It's nice having a balance.

Rusty Blades
06-15-2006, 10:49 AM
* Isk8NYC wanders off thinking about someone having room for a seasonal ice rink bigger than her own home's LOT SIZE! *

I have 5 acres, 466 x 466 feet and had to decide how much time I wanted to spend clearing snow. 45x85 is about 1/4 of an NHL rink and that fit in the yard RIGHT outside my back door - put my skates on in the kitchen, step outside and on to the ice :mrgreen: I am going to put 8 50' strings of Christmas lights across the ice and outdoor speakers on the four corner poles. I think it will be GEORGEOUS on a nice winter evening! (And with my luck, we will have the warmest winter on record!!!! 8O )

flo
06-15-2006, 11:09 AM
My backyard rink would be a postage stamp. I live in the city. I did once skate in the parking lot of a former apartment building when it froze over for a week.

TimDavidSkate
06-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Hiya

Yeah I understand fully. For me ice skating is more than an addiction it is an obsession. Andrea

Here here :bow:

TimDavidSkate
06-15-2006, 11:20 AM
I have 5 acres, 466 x 466 feet and had to decide how much time I wanted to spend clearing snow. 45x85 is about 1/4 of an NHL rink and that fit in the yard RIGHT outside my back door - put my skates on in the kitchen, step outside and on to the ice :mrgreen: I am going to put 8 50' strings of Christmas lights across the ice and outdoor speakers on the four corner poles. I think it will be GEORGEOUS on a nice winter evening! (And with my luck, we will have the warmest winter on record!!!! 8O )

http://timdavid.org/dreamrink1.jpg

http://timdavid.org/dreamrink1b.jpg

Skittl1321
06-15-2006, 11:26 AM
You mean something like this? (http://timdavid.org/dreamrink1.jpg)

and this? (http://timdavid.org/dreamrink1b.jpg)

I would love it!!!!

Um, WOW?

I wonder how you dribble the ball for ice basketball :)

Rob Dean
06-15-2006, 11:35 AM
I have to agree on the addictive aspects. Being in the fairly new category myself (at two years and a bit) I hate every day off, but at least try to do something constructive in the exercise line to make it feel like I'm progressing.

As for the home rink, there's a neat little book called Home Ice by Jack Falla that I bought after seeing a recommendation on line. He's a hockey player rather than a figure skater, but there's some good material there--including practical directions and trouble-shooting on building your own rink.

It's one of my "skating lit" books I read when I can't skate, along with _White Boots_, _Hans Brinker_, and Arthur Ransome's _Winter Holiday_.

Rob Dean

lovepairs
06-15-2006, 11:39 AM
You mean something like this? = OHMYGOD!

Isk8NYC
06-15-2006, 12:06 PM
You mean something like this? (http://timdavid.org/dreamrink1.jpg) and this? (http://timdavid.org/dreamrink1b.jpg)I would love it!!!!What IS THAT? actually WHERE IS THAT?

I want one.

TimDavidSkate
06-15-2006, 12:27 PM
http://timdavid.org/dreamrink4.jpg

http://timdavid.org/dreamrink5.jpg

http://timdavid.org/outdoor1.jpg

looplover
06-15-2006, 04:44 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :bow:

That is so fabulous. I need to win a multistate lottery to have my own rink in FL, bcs I need to house it indoors.

I'm buying a ticket this week, that is IT

looplover
06-15-2006, 04:46 PM
You mean something like this? = OHMYGOD!

Exactly!!!!

AndreaUK
06-16-2006, 04:06 AM
Hi

Oh deffinately OMG. I would love absolutley love an outdoor rink but here in the UK we arent getting many sub zero winters and our summers are reaching on average around 24 degrees. I dont think for one minute it would work here. I believe in places like Canada and New England etc that they get a lovely snow fall and a real deep freeze during the winters?

Never mind I will have to start playing the national lottery and hope I win. Oh god just imagine that Id have my own house in its own grounds and my very own undercover ice rink - oh well what are we if we dont have dreams

Andrea xx

Casey
06-16-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm going to buy some cheap, barren land in Montana or something, and make a huuuuuuuuuuge rink!

::wakes up:: Oops, did I say that out loud? Silly dreams... :roll: 8-)

Rusty Blades
06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
FYI - for Winnipeg, the closest city to me that has a weather office:

Daily 24 hour Average (°C), NOT the high temp! / Average overnight lows/Record Lows

Jan -17.8 / -22.8 / -42.2
Feb -13.6 / -18.7 / -45
Mar -6.1 / -11 / -37.8
Apr 4 / -2.4 / -26.3
May 12 / 4.8 / -11.1
Jun 17 / 10.7 / -3.3
Jul 19.5 / 13.3 / 1.1
Aug 18.5 / 11.9 / 0.6
Sep 12.3 / 6/ -7.2
Oct 5.3 / -0.3 / -17.2
Nov -5.3 / -9.6 / -34
Dec -14.4 / -19.1 / -37.8

(Everybody needs something to do Friday afternoon to avoid "work" 8O )

Skate@Delaware
06-16-2006, 04:36 PM
(Everybody needs something to do Friday afternoon to avoid "work" 8O )
What? We are supposed to work on Friday???? Guess that's why today felt like such a waste and I couldn't get motivated..kept thinking about that $100 Million Poweball jackpot for Saturday's drawing.....

aussieskater
06-17-2006, 08:12 PM
What? We are supposed to work on Friday???? Guess that's why today felt like such a waste and I couldn't get motivated..kept thinking about that $100 Million Poweball jackpot for Saturday's drawing.....

That'd be the one which has a winning ticket with my name on it, right?? The one which I'll use to build an Oly-size indoor rink with hot and cold running water in the loos, a cappucino machine, real seats, ice-side mirrors and a large screen attached to a replay camera with dartfish already installed. When it's built, all my skatingforum friends can come down and play (and with $100 million, I can probably afford to shout the plane tickets for you all). :D

Oh, that'd the the lottery for which I haven't bought a ticket. ;)

Skate@Delaware
06-17-2006, 08:40 PM
That'd be the one which has a winning ticket with my name on it, right?? The one which I'll use to build an Oly-size indoor rink with hot and cold running water in the loos, a cappucino machine, real seats, ice-side mirrors and a large screen attached to a replay camera with dartfish already installed. When it's built, all my skatingforum friends can come down and play (and with $100 million, I can probably afford to shout the plane tickets for you all). :D

Oh, that'd the the lottery for which I haven't bought a ticket. ;)
I bought my tickets....I'll let you know if i win! i probably won't build my own rink though, but i will move around and skate here and there!

kayskate
06-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Ain't that the TRUTH!

There MUST be some reason why I bulldozed my south yard this spring to have a 45 x85 foot rink next fall! 8O (Do "sane" people take a bulldozer to their yard?)

I almost did this last fall. Good thing I did not spend the $ b/c it was too warm a winter. I froze my patio a couple of yrs ago. Crappy ice, but I skated on it a couple times before the weather turned and melted my hard work.

Kay

Terri C
06-17-2006, 09:50 PM
The pictures that Tim posted reminded me of the movie "The Cutting Edge" where Kate had her own private rink!! Now, I'd love to have that, actually would have to have that because our winters here in Southern VA do not get cold enough!

jazzpants
06-17-2006, 10:28 PM
I bought my tickets....I'll let you know if i win! i probably won't build my own rink though, but i will move around and skate here and there!That's probably what I do with my winning ticket... travel around the different ice rinks. Of course, I would maintain my home rink at San Francisco and NYC... just rent out the ice for that one hour so I could work with my coaches calmly and privately. :twisted:

stardust skies
06-18-2006, 12:51 AM
I never saw the appeal of winning the lottery. I mean, first of all you have to split the money with everybody else who wins, then pay taxes, and on top of that you don't get a lump sum- you get really small payments over the rest of your lifetime or something. Sure, money is money, but the lottery really isn't as great as people think, IMO. $100,000 divided by 50 years (which is pretty standard payment plan..) is only $2,000 a year, and this is if only you win, and before taxes. If even ONE other person won, you'd only get $1,000 a year before taxes. Crappy.

Just some cheer up material in case none of the people who bought tickets win. :)

jazzpants
06-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Look what the cat dragged back into the forum!!! Welcome back!!! :P

I never saw the appeal of winning the lottery. I mean, first of all you have to split the money with everybody else who wins, then pay taxes, and on top of that you don't get a lump sum- you get really small payments over the rest of your lifetime or something. Last I've checked, the California Lotto allows you the option of one lump sum or 20 payments over 20 years (or something like that...) :P

Sure, money is money, but the lottery really isn't as great as people think, IMO. $100,000 divided by 50 years (which is pretty standard payment plan..) is only $2,000 a year, and this is if only you win, and before taxes. If even ONE other person won, you'd only get $1,000 a year before taxes. Crappy.

Just some cheer up material in case none of the people who bought tickets win. :)Thanks for that...um....perspective! LOL!!! :lol:

stardust skies
06-18-2006, 03:04 AM
Look what the cat dragged back into the forum!!! Welcome back!!! :P

Last I've checked, the California Lotto allows you the option of one lump sum or 20 payments over 20 years (or something like that...) :P

Thanks for that...um....perspective! LOL!!! :lol:

Haha thank you. I lurk on and off. I just felt like making a couple of posts. :twisted: In general though, I've realized I'd rather read other people converse than join in, these days. Who would've thought. ;) On that note..*crawls halfway back into her dark cave*

rf3ray
06-18-2006, 03:40 AM
are those pictures your own rink

http://timdavid.org/dreamrink4.jpg

http://timdavid.org/dreamrink5.jpg

http://timdavid.org/outdoor1.jpg

aussieskater
06-18-2006, 05:06 AM
I never saw the appeal of winning the lottery. I mean, first of all you have to split the money with everybody else who wins, then pay taxes...

Whaddaya mean, I have to *share* the money?? And taxes too??? (*sob*)( :cry: )

Casey
06-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Haha thank you. I lurk on and off. I just felt like making a couple of posts. :twisted: In general though, I've realized I'd rather read other people converse than join in, these days. Who would've thought. ;) On that note..*crawls halfway back into her dark cave*
Hey you!

It's such a noteworthy event to see you post that I don't care that I'm totally hijacking this thread to make a note about it. :D

Every time I visit skatingforums (which is albeit a bit rarer these days than it used to be), I think of you and wonder what you've wondered off and gotten yourself into. I know you're not into the "daily progress reports" but I must ask - how is your skating coming along these days? PM me if you don't want to interrupt this thread further, but hey, it's AWESOME to see you about again!

Good that you're only crawling halfway, to be sure.

Skate@Delaware
06-18-2006, 07:07 AM
I never saw the appeal of winning the lottery. I mean, first of all you have to split the money with everybody else who wins, then pay taxes, and on top of that you don't get a lump sum- you get really small payments over the rest of your lifetime or something. Sure, money is money, but the lottery really isn't as great as people think, IMO. $100,000 divided by 50 years (which is pretty standard payment plan..) is only $2,000 a year, and this is if only you win, and before taxes. If even ONE other person won, you'd only get $1,000 a year before taxes. Crappy.

Just some cheer up material in case none of the people who bought tickets win. :)
the Powerball lets you chose between ALL the jackpot in a yearly annuity or HALF as a lump-sum payment :?? ; however, if you chose the annuity it will roll into your estate if you die (maybe of suspicious circumstances???). I think it's paid out over 20-25 years.....

Anywho....i didn't win, so it's back to work on Monday....(sigh)....:frus: oh well...i only blow a little bit of cash on it anyways. But it's nice to dream now and again!

Rusty Blades
06-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Lotteries ***sigh*** Some people have it, some don't. If I bet on heads, it would come up tails. If I bet on both, the coin would land on it's edge! 8O So I open my pocketbook, put gass in the dozer, and make my own rink.

On the bright side, it virtually ensures a record warm winter :roll: so I'll join 3 different clubs again this year to get enough ice. ;)

Skate@Delaware
06-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, with gas around $3/gallon, it would have been nice to win...darn my luck! So, I'm back to skating every other week (after a nice 1-1.5 hour drive, much shorter since they've finished the construction!).

I just heard from my coach that another rink might get ice in August. No closer but we will get to work together then. I will need all the help I can get, having picked up all sorts of bad habits over the summer....:roll: and to prepare for my pre-bronze tests, an exhibition that is always scheduled during the first week of home ice (duh, when will they give us more than a week to get our act together?) and to tweak everything for Halloween Classic (I do want to go this year, so I am getting all my shots-flu and now the pneumonia)....

AndreaUK
06-18-2006, 11:35 AM

Thankfully in the UK, the lottery win comes in lump sum and is not taxed. Apparently ur not allowed to tax on gifts, so winning it would be grand :twisted:

flo
06-18-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm happy for a scratch off win! It all helps with lessons.

lovepairs
06-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Rusty Blades,

Can I please come and live in your house.

Lovepairs :halo:

Rusty Blades
06-18-2006, 08:07 PM
LOL!!!

The place in the pictures is NOT my place! My humble hovel is no where near so grand!

*** deep in thought ***

Now there's an idea! A condo complex for figure skaters with a rink instead of a swiming pool. That's something that would catch my attention!

Casey
06-18-2006, 08:39 PM
*** deep in thought ***

Now there's an idea! A condo complex for figure skaters with a rink instead of a swiming pool. That's something that would catch my attention!
Laugh as you will, but I've actually considered something similar before in my dreams...

It would have two (or possibly four) Olympic-sized surfaces, with nothing but member's-only figure skating freestyle sessions. No hockey skates allowed here! It would be open 24/7, and have a reasonable hourly rate, plus a great deal flat monthly rate for us serious addicts. Of course, it would also have all of the other amenities you might ever want from an ice rink, like a gym complete with personal trainers, ballet room complete with ballet instructors, and a pro shop complete with fitters of the utmost best quality. :D Not only that, but there'd be a mini-restaurant with a wide variety of food that was actually HEALTHY, unlike the usual hot dog and pizza rinkside food bars.

But, getting back to the subject at hand, the kicker is that you'd simply go upstairs to go to your apartment. If at any time, you found yourself having a skating dream that wakes you up, or a hankering for trying something differently, or just can't sleep, simply wander down to the rink for a midnight skate. :D

icedancer2
06-18-2006, 10:24 PM
It would have two (or possibly four) Olympic-sized surfaces, with nothing but member's-only figure skating freestyle sessions. No hockey skates allowed here!

What? No Ice Dance, Moves, Pairs or Figures?????

:twisted:

Sk8pdx
06-19-2006, 01:16 AM

Hi Stardust,
I'm with you. I have realized I'd rather read posts as well. A lot of times there is someone who says out loud what I was thinking anyway. Not much need to be redundant.

Without your perspective on things, I guess I would have to admit that the forum hasn't been as much fun as in times past. I have missed your controversial style. 8-)

VegasGirl
06-19-2006, 07:03 AM
It's totally addictive.

Only if you let it be!

VegasGirl
06-19-2006, 07:07 AM
My backyard rink would be a postage stamp.

Mine is Lake Oneida... but to tell the truth, I much rather make the treck to the rink since it's waaay too much work to prep the ice on the lake!

TimDavidSkate
06-19-2006, 07:26 AM
are those pictures your own rink

I wish!!!:lol:

AndreaUK
06-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Ive got really bad skating witdrawal today. Im gutted to be honest.

Went up to the rink today to practice, I had only been on the arena for approximately 5 minutes, didnt even have time to warm up before it became absolutley full of teenagers on a school trip. Myself and several other skaters (regulars) who were trying to practice left almost immediately as it was just far too dangerous. It seemed such a wasted journey as it takes me the best part of an hour to get there.

Im finding that Im getting very protective of the rink and I hate seeing leisure skaters come on and mess it all up. Rightly or wrongly i have started to get infuriated. I really think i need some lessons in how to calm down

Andrea xx

Skate@Delaware
06-19-2006, 09:42 AM
AndreaUK, I used to feel the same way. Very put out by "others" who would invade "my" space during my precious skate time! And it never fails to happen more often the closer to a competition! I have developed a sort-of patience. After all, what are you going to do, short of renting the ice for yourself?

Use the time for stroking exercises. Crossovers at speed if that is where you are at. Dodging other skaters is also a good exercise. These used to terrify me years ago, but with practice it does get better. And with crowds, it does seem to thin out after a while, usually towards the end of the session, when they get tired. That's a good time to work on other things.

Terri C
06-19-2006, 08:07 PM
I won't be skating this week....:cry:
One of my colleagues is out, having had emergency surgery this morning. With the staff either gone, on vacation, or medical leave, it looks like I'll be working overtime this week, so I've e-mailed both coaches and cancelled lessons. I'll skate again next week!

Sk8pdx
06-19-2006, 10:15 PM
One of my colleagues is out, having had emergency surgery this morning. With the staff either gone, on vacation, or medical leave, it looks like I'll be working overtime this week, so I've e-mailed both coaches and cancelled lessons. I'll skate again next week!

Terri C,
Oh no! :cry: My heart goes out to you! First, I hope your fellow coworker is doing ok!, Second, not being able to skate for a week is tragedy! I will send "5-step mohawk vibes" your way when I practice them tomorrow if that will help :)

TreSk8sAZ
06-20-2006, 12:01 AM
I feel you guys not being able to skate. I'm going absolutely crazy right now! First I had 3 weeks off with an injury, now I'm off for another month with mono (and not normal mono, rather a strain that had me in the hospital for a week). I finally can go back to work, but I've actually gone down and just sat in the bleachers and watched at the rink so that I can be there. No way I physically could skate, but so annoying that I can't. Hope everyone else is feeling better, or gets their schedules worked out so we can all be back on the ice soon!

jazzpants
06-20-2006, 12:38 AM
One of my colleagues is out, having had emergency surgery this morning. With the staff either gone, on vacation, or medical leave, it looks like I'll be working overtime this week, so I've e-mailed both coaches and cancelled lessons. I'll skate again next week!I second the "feeling bad for 'ya" part. I agree... not skating for a week is REALLY BAD for me. The only good part though is that you'll have plenty of overtime pay, which you can put towards "future competitions." ;)

I'm finally out of my projects, so I can get back to my lessons this week!!! Oh, dear! What a painful project I had to deal with... but at least now my departing coworker can finally go on to his new job knowing that he's done with this project!!! :) (He's been kind enough to extend his stay so he can do half time for a week to finish this project!!!)