View Full Version : Hello and Practice Dress

Emberchyld
06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi,

I'm new to these forums and new (too!) to the whole world of skating.

I've finally progressed to the point in classes where I've learned enough to not feel truly stupid (or like I'm playing dress-up) on the ice in a skirt or skating dress. So, I'm on the hunt for the perfect first practice dress.

What I would love would be a copy of the black and red turtleneck dress that Moira Kelly wore in one of the practice scenes in "The Cutting Edge" (I know, I know, cheesy, but I've loved that outfit since '94!). Does anybody know of anywhere that sells a similar dress, or one that I can have changed to match (or even where I can get one customed)? Online is probably my best bet unless there are any brick-and-mortar places in NJ/southern upstate NY/Philadelphia region that you can suggest.

Any help or guidance would be great.

Debbie S
06-13-2006, 03:36 PM
You may want to check out the following page on the Skateweb site, which has links to just about every skating dress company out there: http://frogsonice.com/skateweb/business.shtml

SkateBuys (linked on the site) has store locations in NJ and in DE near southern PA (like 10 minutes from Ice Works in Aston). They have a nice selection of dresses, mostly GK and Jerry's brands but some others too (I went to their DE store last summer on my way to watch the Liberty comp). The GK outlet (dbny posted a link in some thread here recently) in Reading, PA has some pretty good deals on their dresses.

Why don't you ask around at your rink and see where the kids/skating parents go to buy their practice clothes? Sometimes, local dance shops will sell skating outfits if there is a rink nearby.

doubletoe
06-13-2006, 03:45 PM
I have no idea what that dress looks like, but Twizzle makes some turtleneck practice dresses.
http://www.skatebuys.com/dresses1.html

dbny
06-13-2006, 04:35 PM
What size do you wear? I don't recall what the dress looks like, but I have quite a few practice dresses either lightly used or new, that I (my daugher, I should say) no longer need.

Skate@Delaware
06-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Ok, I had to go check it out. Thank goodness for fast-forward! Here is a link to a document that I made with some shots of the dress:

http://tkahline.sk8rland.com/

Cutting Edge Practice Dress document

i also put notes in it.

Believe it or not, I have one of these on my design board, but in pants design. Just haven't gotten around to doing anything yet.....been sort of lazy....

ETA: You could take this to a seamstress and get a quote, see how much it would cost if you really really had to have the dress...

doubletoe
06-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Here's something kind of close, but it's black with white stripes, not black with red stripes. For a little extra money, they might agree to do a custom order with red stripes instead of white.

http://www.skatebuys.com/granskatdres.html

dbny
06-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I have something similar in Adult Small: Capezio Dress (http://members.aol.com/dbny9/redblackdress.jpg). It's not entirely clear from the pic, but the red is only on the tops of the sleeves and across the top front and back.

AndreaUK
06-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I decided to cut down on the cost and purchased a leotard and a practice skirt from a dance shop. They seem to be half the price of skate dresses.

Andrea xx

Emberchyld
06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
All of you are so great-- not even 24 hours and already a ton of replies!

Skate@Delaware, thanks for the pics and the notes-- I think I may take this (and my old VHS copy of "TCE") to a seamstress and see if my bank account can handle it.

Do any of you think that I'd be able to get just a plain black turtleneck dress modified to have the stripes, or would that just be more work than going from scratch?

I hate to sound like a total newbie, but since all of the dresses I've seen were wide-necked pull-ons, I'm guessing that the panty on the turtleneck dress is separate for a turtleneck-- how does the dress keep from riding up?

And thanks for all of the other suggestions-- I know where to go if getting an "exact" replica falls through (now, if only I could have Moira Kelly's figure and even half of the skating ability of, well... everyone else, I'd be set!)

Skittl1321
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
I hate to sound like a total newbie, but since all of the dresses I've seen were wide-necked pull-ons, I'm guessing that the panty on the turtleneck dress is separate for a turtleneck-- how does the dress keep from riding up?

I am also a newbie- so this is a guess based on many many years of dancing.

We had a costume that had this same construction, long sleeve mock turtle neck, small skirt and attached panty, and it had a very discrete back zipper.

I would do everything you can to make sure you have an attached panty with this kind of material/contstruction and a zipper seems easy enough.

Skate@Delaware
06-14-2006, 12:56 PM
I am also a newbie- so this is a guess based on many many years of dancing.

We had a costume that had this same construction, long sleeve mock turtle neck, small skirt and attached panty, and it had a very discrete back zipper.

I would do everything you can to make sure you have an attached panty with this kind of material/contstruction and a zipper seems easy enough.
If I were to make this (I'm not so please don't ask) I would put in an invisible zipper in the back for ease of getting in and out.

I'm not sure how I would handle the skirt, there are two ways of doing it, either serge the two layers together and attach...not sure I like that way, or stitch and turn then attach.

I believe the panty was attached to the top, as it looked that way to me. Hence, the zipper would be required! No big deal at all to a seamstress. I think the red underskirt and panty is made from shimmer lycra, as it was shiny. Nice touch also.

It would be easier to make it from scratch instead of adapting an existing dress....trust me on this! I've done some "adaptations" and they are a pain!

This is a really interesting dress, the outfit i have in the design stage is red from the neck down the sleeve and a red stripe down the side of the pants. Now I might have to add the stripe under the arms as well....oh, and my hubby has a matching pant and shirt also. Of course, we don't look or skate nearly as well......8O

If I ever get them done, I will put up pictures....i'm a little behind on my jobs...lazy summer....