View Full Version : ISI Delta edges question

Skittl1321
06-13-2006, 08:29 AM
I’m looking at the ISI skills on sk8stuff.com and have a quick question about the Delta level.

It says Forward edges (4 semicircles each) FO, FI.

Does that mean to test this level I need to be able to hold an edge for 2 passes around a circle (4 semicircles)? Or does it just mean that I need to show a semi-circle 4 times?

I’ll be moving to the ISI system after my move and am trying to figure out where I am (I am doing Basic 5 right now- but if I don’t pass it, it looks like I will be in Beta with some Gamma and Delta skills under my belt).

Thanks for the explanation.

quarkiki2
06-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi, Jessi -

These are usually done on a line. For example, your FO edges. If you start on your left foot, start standing on the line with the lenght of the line to your left side. Push off on to your LFO edge and hold for a semi-circle to get back to the line. When you cross the line, push onto your RFO edge for a semi-circle back to the line. Lather, rinse, repeat!

It should form a it should look like two sideways S's if you do L, R, L, R.

Now, if you were to take a MIF class, you may end up working on holding edges around one of the hockey circles -- with one push allowed, nonetheless.

jenlyon60
06-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Without having an ISI book handy, my guess is that they want something like

RFO (held for half a circle), LFO (hold for half a circle), repeat at least once more.

Then the same thing on the FI edges, e.g. RFI for half a circle, LFI for half a circle, RFI for half a circle, and LFI for half a circle.

You want to try and get the FO half-circles (and also the FI half-circles) about the same size. They don't need to be real big, but they shouldn't be really small either. They don't have to be perfect half-circles, but they should have enough shape that it's obvious that the intent is that they are supposed to be half-circles.

Good places to practice these skills are any of the lines running horizontally across the rink.

Skittl1321
06-13-2006, 08:42 AM
That makes much more sense!

I can totally do that.

I can currently hold all my edges for about 3/4 of a hockey circle, so I'm good.

Sorry for all the questions lately- I'm bored at work, and have skating on my mind.

quarkiki2
06-13-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm not bored at work, but not terribly busy...

I warm up my edges every time I skate. I hate the BO edges, but really like BI. These and the pivot (from the other thread) are in ISI Freestyle 1.

For the pivot, make sure that you've got all of your weight on your supporting leg and that you can see both of your hands if you're looking straight ahead. A lot of people pre-rotate their upper body, so make sure your hips are in line with your shoulders. Hope that helps!

Skittl1321
06-13-2006, 09:01 AM
I haven't done any backward edges yet (not on purpose at least- did a ton of them when I was trying to learn backward glides) but am hoping that my next class we will delve into them. It sounded like we were going to work on Adult 3 skills.

I'm hoping I will be able to start in the Gamma class, but I'm not sure if I will have my backward crossovers yet. Those and mohawks are in the Adult 3 skill list.

It's very confusing to have started lessons in the Basic curriculum, move to the Adult, and then switch to ISI.

But at this point, whatever the rink offers is good for me. And since I'm pretty new, I'm okay with reviewing skills rather than moving ahead if there isn't a class available.

newskaker5
06-13-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm in the ISI program and most people in the Beta class had pretty shaky BXO but passed to Gamma - you just need to show balance in the position and hold the right edges, they dont need to be super "pretty" yet - so you should be OK. And the forward edges is correct - you do them down a hockey line and switch feet when you get back to the line after each semicircle - you do the same thing for the backward edges as well. Good luck! From what you have posted before on some of your skills I would think you should definatley be in Gamma, if not Delta.

Isk8NYC
06-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Since my books are right on hand ... ISI Delta Test Requirements For Forward Edges

There are two edge maneuvers in this test - one set of outside, the other set of inside edges. (Both in forward directions)

A series of at least four semi-circles on the same edge (inside or outside).
The skater must alternate feet within the series.
The diameter of the semi-circles must be at least equal to the skater's height, but no bigger than 3 times their height.
The semi-circles must be lined up on a noticeable axis.

Each push must be made from a clean inside edge; no toe pick pushes.

The Skater's and Coaches Handbook (the "test" book) states that "In ISI competitions, two semi-circles must be performed on each skating edge consecutively, with no steps or turns between."

The Competitor's Handbook further states that "In Delta, edges must be performed consecutively. In a competition program two edges (one left, one right of both kinds) are sufficient in any order or pattern as long as an axis is maintained."

dbny
06-13-2006, 04:33 PM
As Isk8NYC's quotation from the rulebook shows, the edges have to be deeper than those you are accustomed to doing on the hockey circles. When doing them on a line, it's helpful in judging the distances to line up the start/finish of each lobe with one of the big red dots and with the center blue dot. That way you will have four lobes of equal size. On each lobe, do not aim for your end point when you start; instead aim for the top of the lobe, and then for the end point when you have reached the top. Using a washable marker can help with this.

Skittl1321
06-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the clarification and tips- I'll make sure to add them to my practice time.