View Full Version : Difference in boot strenght of girls/ladies boots?

Skittl1321
06-12-2006, 08:54 AM
I was fitted for Jackson Freestyle and Competitor boots at a pro-shop, but was unable to purchase the skates when I was fitted (they didn't have any blades in the shop that would fit the boot, and without a sale price on the blades it was too expensive).

Anyhow- I am thinking I want to order online and the Freestyle is what I think I'm going to go with because it's more in my price range (and skill range- I'm only a Basic 5) than the Competitor.

But now I'm wondering- my foot is a size 3. Which means I have to get girls skates, not ladies. Is there a difference in the strength of the boot? Would I be better off waiting and not yet getting the Freestyle because the girls boot is not as strong as the ladies?

(I weigh 120 pounds and am not yet jumping, but plan to be while still in these skates).

Thanks for the advice.

Debbie S
06-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't know specifically about Jackson, but I know Riedell girls' skates have a a shorter ankle (3 hooks and not 4) and lower heel than the ladies' skates. What that means is that you won't get as much support. Assuming you are an adult, I would recommend not getting girls' skates b/c even though the size may fit, you won't get the support needed for someone of your height and weight.

I have small feet, too (U.S. size 5 1/2) and I can't wear anything Riedell b/c there is a 2-size difference between skates and shoes (most skate brands, it's 1 1/2) and the smallest adult skate size Riedell makes is 4. Of course, Riedell (I've since learned) isn't a good fit for the shape of my foot anyway, so no worries from me.

I would seek out a boot that comes in your size in an adult version; if not, you can have adjustments made to a child's size but I would not buy a strictly child's skate.

As far as whether the skates you are buying will accomodate jumps, what did the pro shop say? Or if they don't know, e-mail Jackson and ask which boot would be better. I guess the decision is up to you as to whether you want to save money but get a skate that might not take you through the skills you plan to get through while still wearing them, or spend more for more skate. However, you don't want to get a skate that's way beyond your current skating level just to have it last longer, b/c an over-stiff boot will only cause problems - trust me, I've been there, done that.

I recommend you ask a lot more questions and do some more investigating before purchasing. Make sure the people you are asking are knowledgable and not just trying to make a quick sale. If you do order online, make sure that you'll be able to return them if the skates don't work out.

jenlyon60
06-12-2006, 10:12 AM
(Warning.. I do dance)

I have 4 hooks on my boots but I've only ever used 3 hooks on this pair. My previous 2 pairs I had made to specifically only have 3 pairs of hooks, and I had them cut lower.

Note... My boots are Custom Klingbeils...I've been a Klingbeil person for 20 years. But I suspect if I were in stock boots, that I'd only be using 3 pairs of hooks.

Skittl1321
06-12-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't know specifically about Jackson, but I know Riedell girls' skates have a a shorter ankle (3 hooks and not 4) and lower heel than the ladies' skates. What that means is that you won't get as much support. Assuming you are an adult, I would recommend not getting girls' skates b/c even though the size may fit, you won't get the support needed for someone of your height and weight.

I have small feet, too (U.S. size 5 1/2) and I can't wear anything Riedell b/c there is a 2-size difference between skates and shoes (most skate brands, it's 1 1/2) and the smallest adult skate size Riedell makes is 4. Of course, Riedell (I've since learned) isn't a good fit for the shape of my foot anyway, so no worries from me.

This is what I needed to know. (I wear a half size smaller shoe than you). The pro shop I worked with seemed knowledgeable and the Jackson Freestyle is recommended up to an axel, so it seems like it would work. But when I asked them if the 3 was a ladies or a girls skate they said there wasn't a disctinction- it was just a size. But the Jackson website lists them as ladies/girls with the 3 being a girls size. So if Reidell is like Jackson, I'm going to have to wait until I can work with my coach and a good fitter to get a skate that fits my needs.

urgh. I really wanted new skates. Guess I'm going to have to make the long drive to Chicago.

Debbie S
06-12-2006, 10:39 AM
If you wear a size 5 shoe, than you should be fine in a 3 1/2 in most skate brands (I was fitted once for a size 4 in Jacksons - of course, if you've been fitted and the 3 works better, go with that). I know GAM adult skates start in size 3, and I think SP-Teris do too - but SP-Teris might be a bit pricey for you if Jacksons are more comfortably in your budget. When you get to Freestyle and start getting more serious about skating (meaning more practice, more difficult skills, testing, competing, etc) you may want to consider getting custom boots.

AmandaS88
06-12-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure how tall you are or if you have shorter legs like I do, but I would actually wany my boot shorter. I'm 5 feet tall with a 5.5 shoe, my harlicks though are a 5. Anyway, i've already had them cut down in the back ( kind of like a dance boot i guess). I didn't want to have them cut the extra eyelet off if i didn't need it. BUt the boot still feels and even looks too high so I think i will have it done. Apparently its quite common ( thats what they told me at the factory anyway). Again I don't know if you're in the same situation at all.

doubletoe
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM
As far as I know, it's not the size that determines the strength of the boot; it's the model. If you get a certain model of boot (i.e., Freestyle or Competitor) I would think it would be the same stiffness and design, regardless of size.

Debbie S
06-12-2006, 12:53 PM
As far as I know, it's not the size that determines the strength of the boot; it's the model. If you get a certain model of boot (i.e., Freestyle or Competitor) I would think it would be the same stiffness and design, regardless of size.Well it's true that stiffness is a big part of the support from a boot, but doesn't the heel also provide support as far as absorbing shock from jump landings? And don't you need a certain amount of coverage of your ankle to prevent twisting and rolling and such? I just know that when I tried on the kid's size Riedell, it felt like I was wearing a slipper even though the skates were the same Bronze Stars as the adult size. My ankle definitely had more room to twist around, and I was closer to the ground.

I assumed that the kid's boots were made with the shorter ankle and heel to accomodate both shorter legs and less body weight. If an adult of average height and weight did jumps and other maneuvers in those, I'd be worried that either the boot would break or break down much more easily and that the person might be more apt to injure their ankle or foot.

twokidsskatemom
06-13-2006, 09:05 PM
I have jacksons Freestyle size 8, my son has size one. Same boot, they dont have a difference . Its not like at size 4 its a different boot than size 1.
Even a jackson size 13 toddlers boot is the same as my 8 as far as stiffness, size of heel ect.