View Full Version : New rinks, bad equipment, lots of rambling

Skittl1321
06-12-2006, 07:00 AM
How do you feel when you go to skate at a new rink? I am starting a set of lessons at a different rink from the first one, and I feel as nervous as I did the first time I took a lesson. This is a mixed level adult class (which I have been assured is well taught to all the different levels, because I asked if I should take with kids instead) and I've been told many of the women are already jumping. I'm just starting backwards crossovers! The lesson is at 7:15 tonight, and unfortunately there are only 4 of them total (each 1 hour). The rink is over an hour away, so I won't have time to drive out there to practice in between classes, so I know this isn't enough time for me to pass Basic 5, but I'm really hoping I can at least get an idea of the crossovers and bunny hop, maybe even start on the 1 footed spin.

I'm also nervous about the hour long lesson. My 30 minute lessons were long enough that I needed a break. I grip my toes when I'm uncomfortable with a move- I hope that doesn't happen this time around.

I'm also starting to get very anxious about bad equipment. I've been reading a lot of posts where people say their blades made all the difference. My boots/blades are not good. Just pond skates. But with only 4 lessons total, I can't buy skates just yet. I need a semi-permanent coach who will help me align the blades and all that. I'm also debating the Jackson Freestyle (my price range) or the Jackson Competitor with a Protégé (will the better blade make a big difference?)

Either way, I need to move before I pick the boot. I cannot wait to live close to my rink. Of course, I'll probably be working very far away from it.

I wish I could just be skating and not worrying, but alas, until 7:15 there is no ice. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

Kevin Callahan
06-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Your situation is not all that different from mine in many ways, and was very extremely similar when I started.

Rinks:

Skating on a new rink is definitely a process. When you take on a new rink whether by choice (your old rink didn't have what you wanted, the staff was crappy, or you just want a change) or by force (you moved, like I just did, or your old rink was closed, or a new schedule makes it impossible to get to your old rink), you take on more than just the ice. You take on the quality of the facilities, you take on the personality of the skaters already established there, you take on the non-figure skating culture (if there is one), and you take on the staff.

Each of these are a part of the formula that makes up what is the best compromise rink for you. Just as 1 + 3 + 5 = 9 and 2 + 3 + 4 = 9, so too will your rinks have different areas with different grades that equal an overall value to you. Of course you will feel nervous, since things will not happen as you expect them to, especially if you're moving to a different area. Atlanta's rinks have ways of doing things that boggle my Texan mind, and the skating culture out here is more than just pro-hockey, it's practically anti-figure skating. The rinks reflect this cultural truth in the staff, the facilities, and the schedules. So, knowing that area might be a "1" in my formula regardless of which of the Atlanta rinks I go to, I have had to choose a rink based on higher other factors of importance to me. Most notably, coaches.

Lessons:

Your mileage may vary, but my few experiences with group lessons were not productive for me. I was more advanced in some areas (stroking and jumping), but way behind on spinning (this is still true). Which left me bored for half the group lesson and publically frustrated for the other half. It wasn't conducive for me. My experiences definitely would make me recommend private lessons, if you can find a way to afford them, because individual instruction will focus on what you need to work on, and not what you don't. As for the hour lesson, while I have never had one, I have never had a coach that didn't allow me to "call time" so to speak and take a break, retie my laces, get a drink of water, etc. I'm sure the group coach will be as accomodating, and your peers may wonder why they weren't the ones to ask for the break.

Equipment:

Now this is a big one. From dangerous personal experience, I can tell you, get the best you can afford, and soon. I had pond skates when Tim started his first lesson with me (I was already jumping in them, which is beyond a no no, they're much too weak), and he immediately told me to get something better. I switched to basic level reidells, and as many might remember here, even those were too weak, and I destroyed them in a week's time. That's when I realized I'd have to suck it up and get a good combo if I was going to continue, not only for the quality of my skating, but also for my safety. Bad equipment is just dangerous, and Tim refused to let me work on jumps until I got my SP Teris in.

I currently have SP Teri Super Teri Deluxes with Wilson Excel blades. Those blades are excellent, but are rather on the cheaper end. I believe I paid $45 for them from my pro shop. I've had no problem with them, and have no need to change them. I had MK Phantoms initially, but they were too much blade for me. So I sold them. There is truth in the adage "too much of a good thing." My boots were of course much more money, I believe they're around $400-$450 depending on where you get them. I'm not sure you need such a stiff boot, probably not, but I did. You might consider Pro Teri CL or if you think you need a stiffer boot, a Super Teri CL. I can't speak to klingbeils, harlicks, or as you said you're looking into, jacksons. As for blades, I've heard good things about MK Professionals and Ultimas (although the original Ultimas, before they were bought out, I've heard are even better). My Excels would be another fine choice.

I live and work very far away from all the rinks, and it annoys me to no end. Hope I've been helpful.

Skittl1321
06-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Hope I've been helpful.

Yes definetly. Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. It just helps to hear someone else confirm that what I'm thinking is normal.

Once I move I'm definetly going to look into private lessons, but since I don't have any time to practice between lessons right now, I figured it would be a huge waste of money. If I don't have time to skate once I move I'm going to cry. I will live walking distance from the rink, but looking at their schedules, if I get the job I am hoping for, I very well may not be able to make any of the ice times except Saturday. Heres hoping the job has flex-time :) (well first lets hope I get the job).

I know my skates aren't good, but so far they are stiff enough that they don't yet create a safety problem. I'll have to have whomever the group lesson instructor is look at them and make sure it's okay to start bunny hops in them. I would never attempt to learn a real jump without upgrading them. I'd say they are about the same level as a rental skate- but with sharper blades :)

Thin-Ice
06-12-2006, 09:01 AM
How do you feel when you go to skate at a new rink? I am starting a set of lessons at a different rink from the first one, and I feel as nervous as I did the first time I took a lesson.

I'm also nervous about the hour long lesson. My 30 minute lessons were long enough that I needed a break. I grip my toes when I'm uncomfortable with a move- I hope that doesn't happen this time around.

I'm also starting to get very anxious about bad equipment. I've been reading a lot of posts where people say their blades made all the difference. My boots/blades are not good. Just pond skates. But with only 4 lessons total, I can't buy skates just yet. I need a semi-permanent coach who will help me align the blades and all that. I'm also debating the Jackson Freestyle (my price range) or the Jackson Competitor with a Protégé (will the better blade make a big difference?)

Either way, I need to move before I pick the boot. I cannot wait to live close to my rink. Of course, I'll probably be working very far away from it.

Going to a new rink is just like going to a new school when you were a kid. It's a different group of people, with different rules (some written and some unwritten), and a different culture. Expect to take a few sessions to get used to your new "ice neighborhood". And you should be fine, once you learn all the players and their quirks, just as they'll learn yours. I take one-hour private lessons... (I have to drive nearly two hours to get there, so I'm not going to drive nearly four-hours roundtrip for a 30-minute lesson!) and I've never met a coach who wouldn't let you take a short break for water/bathroom/lace re-tie or just fatigue. In a group situation just don't ask the coach to repeat whatever was done while you're gone. And let them know (but be subtle) you're not walking out in disgust.. it's just you need a break for whatever reason. Gripping your toes is rather common when you're uncomfortable with a move... but when you feel yourself doing that, remind yourself you're doing this voluntarily and skating is supposed to be challenging BUT FUN!!! (I have to remind myself of this still, and I've been taking lessons for MANY years.)

You will be better off in better equipment. Pond skates could be an obstacle to your progress. But if you possibly can, let the coach know ahead of time about your concerns and s/he can keep an eye out for problems.

Have fun and enjoy this experience! Soon your new rink will feel like "home". Good luck!

quarkiki2
06-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Hi, Jessi!

Saturdays are a great time to skate! That's when my private lesson and MIF class is taught.

Learn-to-Skate is also on Tuesday night and there's a public skate afterwards. Friday night has public skate and an occasional Rock'n'Skate (you won't be able to practice then -- too many crazy teens). Saturday and Sunday are public skate for most of the day, as are most weekdays (there are a few freestyle sessions on weekdays, but you should be able to skate on freestyle ice as long as you're taking group or private lessons). And, of course, Club Ice and Synchro are on Wednesday evenings.

Rusty Blades
06-12-2006, 09:28 AM
As an adult, you will be FINE! Sure, it takes a little time to be comfortable at a new rink but I think it's easier for an adult 'cause you're not a "threat" to the youing hot-shots.

I just started in January and have skated regularly at 3 different rinks so far (#4 in July). The first rink has a lot of adults so I felt welcome there, but it was only once a week and an hour away. I added a second rink for more ice time and there I am older than their oldest coach! 8O Some of the parents look at me strange but the girls are friendly enough - they think it's neat that someone my age has the gumption to skate! The third rink was after the winter programs closed down and most skaters there are more competitive and therefore less social but I just go out of my way to be friendly and got along ok. That environment was a little harder in that I had to be more assertive to get space to practice - the youngsters had to realize that I was paying the same for my ice time and was entitled to work on my stuff to, even if it is the basics!

I grip my toes when I'm uncomfortable

LOL!! I was doing that to when I started backward! I have REALLY had to work on relaxing my foot instead of trying to grab the boot with my toes!

I wouldn't be in a hurry to change your equipment. If you can get by until you have a regular coach, you will get more information aimed specifically at your needs and abilities.

Skittl1321
06-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi, Jessi!

Saturdays are a great time to skate! That's when my private lesson and MIF class is taught.

Learn-to-Skate is also on Tuesday night and there's a public skate afterwards. Friday night has public skate and an occasional Rock'n'Skate (you won't be able to practice then -- too many crazy teens). Saturday and Sunday are public skate for most of the day, as are most weekdays (there are a few freestyle sessions on weekdays, but you should be able to skate on freestyle ice as long as you're taking group or private lessons). And, of course, Club Ice and Synchro are on Wednesday evenings.

So good to hear that Saturdays are good days. I was worried that it would be so crazy crowded. I'll probably do LTS for at least a session, maybe 2- and while I'd prefer it on Tuesday, I'm really really really hoping for a job in Marion, so I'm not sure I could get back to Coralville in time, since the Tuesday lessons are somewhat early.

Once I get through Gamma or Delta I will probably try to add private lessons, but with the free public skate sessions that come with group lessons, man are those a good deal.

I've also thought about trying to get into the accelerated figure skating classes. When I talked with them, they said they would evaluate adults for it- but while I've always done ballet with kids half my age, I'm not sure if I could handle it for skating. ballet has a slow boil theory that doesn't put me at as much of a disadvantage as skating.

And of course, once I have my mohawks- there is always synchro :)

I need to figure out where I'm going with skating. I like the idea of trying to become a reasonably good singles skater- but I think the comraderie of synchro would be great.

Ah, I'll worry about Iowa when I get there. First I have to figure out these new lessons in Troy. But- do you know anything about the rink in Cedar Rapids? Since you live there and skate in Coralville- there must be some story.

quarkiki2
06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
No story about the CR Rink -- I've never skated there. I signed up for lessons in Coralville because DH was teaching a class at the U of I on Saturdays and I thought it might be fun to skate while he was teaching.

Skittl1321
06-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Well I've definetly decided to get new skates before I move.

I'm going to order them from Rainbo Sports, because I was already fitted- but when I was fitted I was unsure of the sizing because the 3.5 was comfortable after heating, and the 3.0 was snug but not painful after heating. SO as soon as they email me their size recommendation- I'm ordering.

I'm doing this because there isn't a pro shop where I'm moving to, and although I am ordering my skates long distance the coach I am working with now can do the permanent mounting and first sharpening for me.

Plus I really want my new skates.