View Full Version : Salchow, my love!

Ceres
06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Yess!! I landed my first full rotation jump today! :P Gosh I am just so proud of myself, sorry! My dad was shocked- I mean I first put on a pair of ice skates four months ago...:P :P :P

WOHOO!! Okay, I am done now. hehe:lol:

Debbie S
06-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Congratulations! :D

lovepairs
06-11-2006, 05:28 PM
How exhilarating!!! :D

Ceres
06-11-2006, 06:07 PM
:o thank you! Sorry I can't control myself! :P

Skate@Delaware
06-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Ceres,
I feel your excitement!!! Hooray!!!

Ceres
06-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Ceres,
I feel your excitement!!! Hooray!!!
Tehee thanks! My name's Sasha by the way...:P

Leda
06-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Congrats! I am still working on my waltz jump. ;)

xofivebyfive
06-11-2006, 08:24 PM
So are you taking private lessons now?

Skate@Delaware
06-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Tehee thanks! My name's Sasha by the way...:P
Ooops!

What an accomplishment! (the salchow has been the hardest jump for me to get as of yet) Yay for you Sasha

Sk8pdx
06-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Congratulations!
I would have to say that Salchow is my favorite jump as well. It is the one where the timing of the jump seems to make the most sense to me (push, turn, hooooooold, Jump).

I am just now learning the loop jump. It definitely has the potential of being another one of my favorites.

WhisperSung
06-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Congratulations!

Next up: toe loop and loop!

I like edge jumps more myself. No toe to slip off of ;)

Ceres
06-13-2006, 02:26 PM
So are you taking private lessons now?

Nope. I am reading "Figure Skating for Dummies" lol. It's by Kristi Yumugachi, at least...

NickiT
06-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Excellent! It's such a wonderful feeling when you land a new jump for the first time!

Nicki

xofivebyfive
06-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Nope. I am reading "Figure Skating for Dummies" lol. It's by Kristi Yumugachi, at least...
You taught it to yourself? Very impressive. I would never try to teach myself something, especially a jump because I don't want to learn it the wrong way. Katy Taylor taught herself her triple toe while her coach was away, and it took her months to fix it. So I'm afraid.. haha.

I don't think you should keep learning jumps and stuff until you get a coach, so they can teach you the proper technique. You don't want to get bad habits that will be really hard to correct down the road.

shellabelly
06-21-2006, 10:20 PM
congrats! keep practicing!

AshBugg44
06-22-2006, 10:36 PM
You taught it to yourself? Very impressive. I would never try to teach myself something, especially a jump because I don't want to learn it the wrong way. Katy Taylor taught herself her triple toe while her coach was away, and it took her months to fix it. So I'm afraid.. haha.

I don't think you should keep learning jumps and stuff until you get a coach, so they can teach you the proper technique. You don't want to get bad habits that will be really hard to correct down the road.

Yep, and now it's Katy's least favorite jump!

sk8_4fun
06-23-2006, 02:07 AM
well done!!!!:lol: I landed my first waltz jump and was buzzin for hours!!!

kittie067
06-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Congrats!!

I think the salchow is one of the harder jumps (at least for me, my timing's always off it seems:roll: )

~kittie

Skate@Delaware
06-24-2006, 07:59 PM
I had some sort of bad mojo-mental block thing going on the salchow and just could not get it...my coach had to break it down into the little pieces of it and teach it that way. After several weeks of doing that and slowly putting it back together, I finally got it one day. THAT was a happy day! The next day was my lesson, so I showed my coach and she was happy for about 10 seconds, and true to a coach, the next words out of her mouth were, "That was good; now, let's finesse it a little bit more...." :roll:

Sonic
06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I dunno why but I have a real mental block when it comes to Salchows - I even prefer loops. So to land one after only 4 months - wow! Good for you. :bow:

S xxx

mikawendy
06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I dunno why but I have a real mental block when it comes to Salchows - I even prefer loops. So to land one after only 4 months - wow! Good for you. :bow:

S xxx

I know what you mean about salchow versus loop. Salchow was easier for me to learn, but in terms of doing them well, much harder. Often they don't feel quite right to me, and I don't wait long enough on the BI entry--after the three turn, the BI and the jump get all mushed together.

mintypoppet
06-26-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm just getting to grips with these. My coach wants me to do them more quickly and with more JUMP! So, I do them faster, don't get my shoulders around in time, and end up in a crumpled heap on the ice. And it still isn't good enough for her :roll: :lol:

I started skating nine months ago, so serious kudos are due for not only teaching yourself, but actually landing it in such a short time :bow: