View Full Version : Maybe a little levity will lighten the mood?

FrankR
06-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Hello all,

In the past couple of weeks I've noticed the mood in here becoming a bit tense so to speak. 8O I say so without judgement. I'm merely making an observation. (And yes, that was a pre-emptive strike combined with the waving of a white flag. :giveup: )

So, I thought that it might be nice to share something I found on the web that made me laugh and hopefully will do the same for you. I've shared this with a few friends via e-mail and they certainly got a kick out of it. If you would like, follow the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH7xaKf6Ijo&search=Olympic%20figure%20skating

I don't know how many of you might have logged onto youtube before but I highly recommend it. One particular user has been so kind as to download skating programs from as far back as the late 60s. It's really a treat to watch. In any case, enjoy.

Frank

coskater64
06-09-2006, 09:35 AM
That's absolutely excellent!:lol: :lol: :lol:

FrankR
06-09-2006, 09:40 AM
That's absolutely excellent!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't it? :lol: :lol: The sad thing is I've done that picking into my lutz jump. :cry: Just ask the Moves Guru. ;)

dcden
06-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Well Frank, you must be a Sasha hater. All of this sentiment is a conspiracy to keep her down. She deserved the gold in Torino and Salt Lake! You are just jealous of Sasha!!!

Why are you so jealous of her? Is it because you are a pre-bronze skater trying to skate at Adult Nationals? Or is it because you refuse to work on your crossovers to pass the gold MIF test?

I'm confused because you said in 2003 that you passed your gold MIF test, but then in 2004 you competed in Pre-Bronze. This is what it says on your own website!!!! What level are you at really?!?

All of this would not be an issue if you just passed your Bronze FS test. But how can anyone do that when you have to do three spins on the Bronze FS test, but only two in competition? It's not fair! That's like telling adult pairs that they have to pass the intermediate pair test to qualify for Adult Nationals! We are keeping down the athletes in the adult pair community that way!

That's it, I'm creating a petition to ban any anti-Sasha flaming on the internet!
;)

(In case you couldn't pick up on it, this was all just a tongue in cheek jab at Frank's reference to levity and civility on the forums)

Now Frank, that's levity. Smooches!

dbny
06-09-2006, 09:45 AM
I actually did LOL. Little kids often think there is water under the ice, even in indoor arenas.

flo
06-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Love it. I bought a vintage print at nats of a pairs partner falling through the ice and the other partner holding his hat.
It also reminds me of our rink. The ice at the zam end slopes down to the doors, and I'm always envisioning a kid being lost or swallowed up by the puddles.

Isk8NYC
06-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Lighten up, DCDEN, or people will think you can't take a joke.
(You're NOT Sasha are you?) I'm a fan of anyone at that level and I liked the humor of the video.

That could have been ANY skater and the video would have been funny because it was sudden and completely unexpected.

YouTube is hilarious. I loved the "History of Dance" video.

FrankR
06-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Well Frank, you must be a Sasha hater. All of this sentiment is a conspiracy to keep her down. She deserved the gold in Torino and Salt Lake! You are just jealous of Sasha!!!

Why are you so jealous of her? Is it because you are a pre-bronze skater trying to skate at Adult Nationals? Or is it because you refuse to work on your crossovers to pass the gold MIF test?

I'm confused because you said in 2003 that you passed your gold MIF test, but then in 2004 you competed in Pre-Bronze. This is what it says on your own website!!!! What level are you at really?!?

All of this would not be an issue if you just passed your Bronze FS test. But how can anyone do that when you have to do three spins on the Bronze FS test, but only two in competition? It's not fair! That's like telling adult pairs that they have to pass the intermediate pair test to qualify for Adult Nationals! We are keeping down the athletes in the adult pair community that way!

That's it, I'm creating a petition to ban any anti-Sasha flaming on the internet!
Now Frank, that's levity. Smooches!

HAHA!! Very good. :lol:

HOWEVER!!:!: :!:

Creating that petition is just fine as long as the petition is very specific. I would like it to say that it's inappropriate to poke fun of Sasha between the hours of 3:17am and 12:03pm in the pacific time zone, but between the hours of 5:32pm and 9:18am in the central and eastern time zones. And to be quite honest, I'd need to see a clause in that petition unequivocally prohibiting anyone from eating Skittles while listening to Enya as they contemplate signing the petition.;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

That's deuce. Your serve. :lol:

dcden
06-09-2006, 09:51 AM
I've edited my original post, which was all done in humor in reference to Frank's original post.

Frank is leading a KUNSPEERASEE against Sasha!!!;)

FrankR
06-09-2006, 09:52 AM
I actually did LOL. Little kids often think there is water under the ice, even in indoor arenas.

LOL. Well my moves coach has the little kids thinking that whenever they trip on their toe-picks it's because the "ice worms in the ice" come up and trip them on purpose. :lol:

FrankR
06-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I've edited my original post, which was all done in humor in reference to Frank's original post.

Frank is leading a KUNSPEERASEE against Sasha!!!;)

SHHHH! You'll ruin the SEKRET SUBTERFUGE!! ;)

(And yes, I realized the original post was tongue-in-cheek. Come on folks, we need a creative outlet. Let's run with it!! :lol: )

dcden
06-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Sasha forever! PLUS...

I, as a man, should be allowed to wear SKIRTS on the ice! To ban me from doing so is DISKRIMUNAYSHUN!!!!!

FrankR
06-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Sasha forever! PLUS...

I, as a man, should be allowed to wear SKIRTS on the ice! To ban me from doing so is DIKRIMUNAYSHUN!!!!!

Well, would you like us to start a petition to allow that? :D

Isk8NYC
06-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Enough petitions - someone's going to get offended, post something and tick off another person, then I get "Inappropriate Post!" emails, Kestral starts looking to "whack" people, yadayadayada... Let it go.

Back to the humor vein -

My BIL sent me this link via email: Do you know how to Snap Dance? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrdUhUbgd1I&search=how%20to%20snap) (I didn't think it was funny, but he claims it's the next dance craze. Mind you, he's a 6'1" burly ex-NYC cop.

I countered with this: Evolution of Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg)
Anyone who grew up with the Brady Bunch will like this video.

Debbie S
06-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Oh darn, I don't have Flash on my computer here at work! (is this the "Splasha" clip - that is funny, and for the record, I am a Sasha fan - actually, I am both a Michelle and a Sasha fan - maybe the only one in the country - lol)

(You're NOT Sasha are you?) You mean all this time I thought dcden was an Adult Gold male skater from No. VA, and he's really our national ladies' champion? :lol: :lol: Guess who you inspired with your choice of music? (Go to FSU (The Skip) and you'll see what I mean.) ;)

dcden
06-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Well, would you like us to start a petition to allow that? :D

Only if Nikolai Hedrizkov signs it!!!

SK8RX
06-09-2006, 10:04 AM
That's awesome Frank! I've felt just like that on many a jump 8O.

Thanks for the laugh!

dcden
06-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Oh darn, I don't have Flash on my computer here at work! (is this the "Splasha" clip - that is funny, and for the record, I am a Sasha fan - actually, I am both a Michelle and a Sasha fan - maybe the only one in the country - lol)

No Debbie, you must choose between the two. Otherwise, you are a biskateual.

Isk8NYC
06-09-2006, 10:08 AM
You mean all this time I thought dcden was an Adult Gold male skater from No. VA, and he's really our national ladies' champion? :lol: :lol: Since I don't know him personally, I can't confirm or deny that rumor. We have had certain posters who had women's names but weren't ladies at all...

FrankR
06-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Enough petitions - someone's going to get offended, post something and tick off another person, then I get "Inappropriate Post!" emails, Kestral starts looking to "whack" people, yadayadayada... Let it go.

Back to the humor vein -

My BIL sent me this link via email: Do you know how to Snap Dance? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrdUhUbgd1I&search=how%20to%20snap) (I didn't think it was funny, but he claims it's the next dance craze. Mind you, he's a 6'1" burly ex-NYC cop.

I countered with this: Evolution of Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg)

Ok. No petitions. :cry: How about another poll? ;)

As for the SNAP dance. 8O I can see it now. People will line up at weddings to do this between YMCA and the Electric Slide. :lol:

That comedian was funny too. I guffawed once he got to the Brady dance. :D

Debbie S
06-09-2006, 10:12 AM
No Debbie, you must choose between the two. Otherwise, you are a biskateual.Not that there's anything wrong with that. :halo: :lol: :lol:

Isk8NYC
06-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I love the way Seinfeld gave us a snappy comeback for any situation.

More silly videos! Bring 'em on. It's Friday and I only have three things to do before I leave work today!

LOL. Well my moves coach has the little kids thinking that whenever they trip on their toe-picks it's because the "ice worms in the ice" come up and trip them on purpose. :lol:That would probably backfire on me and someone would call the NYC Dept of Health and Mental Hygiene (http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/home/home.shtml). (I think they all have dirty minds...)

dcden
06-09-2006, 10:21 AM
You mean all this time I thought dcden was an Adult Gold male skater from No. VA, and he's really our national ladies' champion? :lol: :lol: Guess who you inspired with your choice of music? (Go to FSU (The Skip) and you'll see what I mean.) ;)

HA HA I just checked that out... who else could it have been, indeed?

flo
06-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Ice worms - love it!

When I was teaching biology on a boat we gave up on trying to keep the kids names straight (new kids each day). We wrote names of the bay creatures on their life jackets, and that's what they were for the day. The common name was on one side, and the latin on the other. For ice worms.......

I would guess it's segmented, so the little critters can come out at night when the ice is empty and skate, so it's an annelid. Then they also probably come close to the surface to mate, so they can collect the bugs that fall down at night to feed the young...hmmm that's probably where all those ice bumps come from! So for our ice worm.... perhaps Conglacio pediasparus, (for ice foot-blade). I know there's a paper to Nature in this.

doubletoe
06-09-2006, 01:06 PM
That's friggin' hilarious!

FrankR
06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
This one's good too!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV85PyNA3G4&search=funny%20figure%20skating

Now, as an aside. For those of you who know MusicSkateFan personally, doesn't the figure skater in this commercial kind of look like him? I saw the guy's face and thought to myself..."Randy?!?!?! 8O "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, if I'm way off base and there's noe physical resemblance feel free to tell me so. ;)

TimDavidSkate
06-09-2006, 02:19 PM
This one's good too!!

Now, as an aside. For those of you who know MusicSkateFan personally, doesn't the figure skater in this commercial kind of look like him? I saw the guy's face and thought to myself..."Randy?!?!?! 8O "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, if I'm way off base and there's noe physical resemblance feel free to tell me so. ;)

I love it!!! Thats what my bf does when I get too annoying :lol:

BTW: It does look like Randy, big time!!!

Mrs Redboots
06-10-2006, 04:58 AM
This one's good too!!

That reminds me of our Dancing on Ice competition on television earlier this year - in one programme the "celebrities" had to fly.....

BTW the original Sasha Cohen clip was marvellous and I :lol:

lovepairs
06-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I, as a man, should be allowed to wear SKIRTS on the ice! To ban me from doing so is DIKRIMUNAYSHUN!!!!!

Yes, that would be absolutely DIKRIMUNAYSUNISH!!!! A man skating in a kilt, too, would be really hot! Didn't Philip Candelaro pull that off once?

AndreaUK
06-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Yes, that would be absolutely DIKRIMUNAYSUNISH!!!! A man skating in a kilt, too, would be really hot! Didn't Philip Candelaro pull that off once?

You know I think you could be right I do seem to remember a skater skating in a kilt a while ago. I used to enjoy watching Philip Candelaro a few years ago, was around the time of Elvis Stojko (sp) I think

Andrea

NickiT
06-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Very funny :lol:

Nicki

Sk8pdx
06-11-2006, 11:16 PM
.....I countered with this: Evolution of Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg)

LOL! This video reminded me of the movie "Napoleon Dynamite" ...Vote for Pedro!:lol:

Thin-Ice
06-12-2006, 03:56 AM

Yep! Candeloro skated a 6+ minute pro program to 'Braveheart', complete with blue face make-up and had someone put a hood on him for the execution at the end. (The commentators frequently complained he was on the ice more than six minutes but spent a lot of time posing.) At one point early in the program he does pick up the hem of his kilt and does a kind of wave with it (like can-can dancers) and at one event, Sandra Bezic says "I don't remember Mel Gibson (who starred in 'Braveheart') doing that!".

Mrs Redboots
06-12-2006, 05:24 AM
At one point early in the program he does pick up the hem of his kilt and does a kind of wave with it (like can-can dancers)Presumably to show the world what he is, or is not, wearing underneath it (the Scots, traditionally, do not wear underwear underneath their kilts).

lovepairs
06-12-2006, 05:36 AM
You are too funny! Get out of here, Mrs Redboots! How do you know this about the Scotts?!!! LOL!

FrankR
06-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Presumably to show the world what he is, or is not, wearing underneath it (the Scots, traditionally, do not wear underwear underneath their kilts).

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Ok. As much as I think Philippe is an entertaining skater I certainly don't need to see all of THAT! :lol: Keep your drawers on, Philippe. Or at the very least switch to a hoop skirt if you're going to go commando. ;)

Thin-Ice
06-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Presumably to show the world what he is, or is not, wearing underneath it (the Scots, traditionally, do not wear underwear underneath their kilts).

Thank heavens he was wearing white boxers!:lol:

Evelina
06-13-2006, 07:17 AM
That's great!

A few weeks ago the ice at our rink melted. Yes, melted - someone forgot to switch some machines on overnight. Before they made us get off the ice jumping and falling felt very much like this video!

dcden
06-14-2006, 02:44 PM
What about fake petitions? Like internet hoax meets skating world? I submit:

5-year old Skatessa Freeman has dreams of being an Adult World figure skating champion in 2022 when she turns 21. She is a very dedicated young lady, but her skating expenses have become overwhelming because her parents' salary has been used to fund her skirt-wearing older brother's online skating coaching career and self-promoting website.

In addition, Skatessa's placements at recent competitions have been disappointing because her combination spin was ruled as having one fewer level-raising feature than expected because she lifted her right foot only partway up to her right ear rather than over her left shoulder to touch her left ear. Further strains have been caused by having Kayla's website hacked by a competitor to say that she had landed the first triple toe at the annual Low Test Basic Skills Upper Midwestern District III Pomegranate Open, when in fact her most difficult element was a bunny hop.

Won't you please help? By signing this petition, a $1 donation will be made to Skatessa's training fund. Upon receiving 5000 signatures, the petition and signature list will be sent to President Bush in request of a federal grant (along with funding to rid pay phones of hypodermic needles).

A poem from Skatessa herself really sums it up:

"Somebody Should Pay For My Freestyle Sessions"

One day I went to a freestyle session
But the rink monitor stopped me and said,
"You've got to be at least pre-juvenile"
So I did off-ice training instead.

I knew I made the right choice mom
Because your advice to me was right
And when I tried a Salchow the next day
The landing felt so light.

But I didn't work on my flutzing problems
So much to my chagrin
When I skated around and tried the Lutz
I fell and hit my chin

Now I'm lying in an icy puddle
And I'm feeling very down
I can hear the other girls whispering,
"Can I run through my program now?"

Someone should pay for my freestyle sessions
So I can have private ice all day
Because when other people share the ice with me
I never yield right of way.

So sign this here online petition
And you can make my dreams come true
Signed - The Adult World Figure Skating Champion
of Two Thousand Twenty Two!

manleywoman
06-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Right on dcden! I love it!

FrankR
06-14-2006, 03:11 PM
:lol: :lol:

That poem is brilliant. I may have to snatch that up and pass it out at the rink. :D

flo
06-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Manley - your box is full!
PS too funny - send the girl to Adult Worlds!!!!

Debbie S
06-14-2006, 03:35 PM
LOL!!
OK, dcden, you have waaaaaay too much time on your hands! :lol:

dcden
06-14-2006, 03:40 PM
LOL!!
OK, dcden, you have waaaaaay too much time on your hands! :lol:

True enough, I should spend the time working on my moves tests instead! I won't reopen that can of worms though.