View Full Version : Social USFS/FSC Memberships

Kevin Callahan
06-07-2006, 09:20 PM
I need some info about what exactly the social memberships allow for. The information that GaFSC gave me isn't at all specific. I'm giving one to my mother (she used to skate a long time ago, and by the looks of the application, one has to be parent, regardless of age), and plan to pay a little extra to give one each to two other family members, but I'd like to know exactly what they'll be getting, especially if they come out to see me compete.

jenlyon60
06-08-2006, 05:35 AM
I believe you will find it varies from club to club. "Social" membership is not an explicit USFS category. The closest USFS equivalent is their "Fans of Figure Skating" membership category.

At the Washington FSC, a social membership gets you membership ONLY to Washington FSC without explicit USFS registration, i.e. you get the club news letter and invites to club functions, but you get no skating privileges and no USFS registration.

Isk8NYC
06-08-2006, 07:11 AM
The GaFSC, like many of Clubs I've belonged to in the past, host activities that let the skaters and families have fun together doing things other than skating. Things like trips to skating shows or amusement parks, holiday parties, picnics, and year-end dinners. The "Social Fee" pays for these niceties that come with a friendly Club. In the case of added-expenses for let's say Champions on Ice tickets, you'll also be expected to pay for the number of tickets you order. If they have a pot luck, they'll draw from the treasury to cover the cost of paper goods and sterno setups.

Think about the typical member: it's a little kid who can't get to the year-end dinner without a parent. The Club set up the Social Fee to include one parent/skater for just this reason. (And to cut down on the drop-and-run situations.) If both Mom and Dad want to attend everything with their little prodigy, they pay the Club a little extra fee to cover the additional cost. It's not needed for your family to see you skate, the GaFSC form states that it's a fee for non-skating activities.

I think you're old enough to get yourself to the parties without your poor Mom coming in from (is it?) Texas! LOL ;)

Don't be afraid to call the membership chair and ask questions.

Kevin Callahan
06-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Ah, and here I just didn't want to waste the memberships. :??

rlichtefeld
06-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Kevin,

Since I am the President of the Georgia FSC, I can answer any questions you may have about our Social Membership.

I need some info about what exactly the social memberships allow for. The information that GaFSC gave me isn't at all specific.

If you are a social member, you are invited to attend any of our off ice club activities: Annual Banquet, Birthday parties, etc. You also receive the mailed newsletter. You would also get Skating Magazine.

I'm giving one to my mother (she used to skate a long time ago, and by the looks of the application, one has to be parent, regardless of age), and plan to pay a little extra to give one each to two other family members, but I'd like to know exactly what they'll be getting, especially if they come out to see me compete.

If you become a full skating member ($75), you can put one or both of your parents on your membership. One thing to remember is that to compete in a USFS sanctioned event, you will need to be a skating member of some club (or an Individual Member of USFS).

If you have any questions, please either contact myself or Lori Faris, our membership chair. Her contact info is on the membership forms.
http://www.gafsc.org/membership.htm

Rob

Kevin Callahan
06-09-2006, 10:16 AM
$50, isn't? Since this will be my first time in GaFSC. I have the paperwork right here in front of me.