View Full Version : blargh, fractured shoulder

looplover
06-07-2006, 06:15 PM
So, has anyone had this and did it really heal after a while?

I posted a month ago about falling on a back inside three...I had an MRI on sat. and it turns out I fractured my humerus (displaced it). I've been skating and reinjuring it ever since, really, so now I'm off the ice for a month and will miss the competition.

The sports medicine doc said I could skate but not jump and couldn't fall.

Right......

I always fall, I fell this morning!

So, staying off the ice for a month is a good idea, right? I shouldn't just skate anyway? :??

Finally I passed ISI FS4...Oh well, I guess I'm glad I passed it with a fractured shoulder and there will be more competitions...

:frus:

Skittl1321
06-07-2006, 06:36 PM
A month of rest is a good idea- don't just skate anyway.

It's better to let injuries heal so you can get back to skating than get an extra month in and do even more damage.

Good luck with your time off- I had to take a 2 month long break from ballet for an ankle injury and it was awful. I did Pilates to fill the time, but that might not be an option with a shoulder injury.

beachbabe
06-07-2006, 09:27 PM
if you have a history of losing stuff after an absence you may wanna come in a couple of times and work on edges and easy spins just to maintain what you've got.

If the doc really says its ok, i would come in for a couple of light practices just to maintain your comfort on the ice. Just be careful and dont work on jumps or advanced spins. Sometimes a little prevention goes a long way.

When I had tendonitis I skated 3 or 4 times during my recovery period and it helped so much coming back after the injury. It helped make me still feel at home on the ice after coming back. If I'm gone too long I tend to get nervous when i come back and then I start losing elements just b/c I'm nervous about possibly losing them if that makes any sense at all.

dont overwork yourself, but I would definately stay on the ice if only for stroking.if it hurts, or you really think you will fall on it, please dont do anything that will injure yourself. I'm just saying thats what i would do.

hope you feel better soon :P

dbny
06-07-2006, 10:40 PM
I can't believe you have a displaced fracture of the humerus and have not been in constant pain. Displaced fractures generally have to be reduced (put back into proper position), and at this point, of course, that's not possible without re-breaking the bone. It's your decision, but personally, there is no way I would risk further injury. Let the bone heal, it's an important part of your body.

NickiT
06-08-2006, 02:01 AM
I'd take his advice and take a month off to allow it to heal properly. I had to take a month off when I cracked a rib and the time passed pretty quickly. When I broke my wrist last year I had different advice from different doctors. One said I could skate as long as I didn't fall. I did skate just three times in a cast but didn't do a lot because I was just too scared of falling and damaging it again. Taking a month off will do you some good anyway...allowing other parts of your body to rest and recover from your heavy skating schedule.

Nicki

SkatingOnClouds
06-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Oh boy, poor you!

I'm struggling with a similar issue at the moment. Mine is a hamstring/hip injury. I so want to skate, and I so know it is a bad idea.

I tell myself I could go to the rink and do some edges, and turns, no jumps or spins. But I know that it is really hard not to do stuff. And you can never guarantee that you won't fall, no matter what you intend working on.
I have to agree that it is best to stay off ice until you are healed.

Mrs Redboots
06-08-2006, 04:23 AM
Poor you. I do hope you heal quickly, and what a total bummer about missing the competition. If it's at your own rink, I'm sure the organisers will happily find you something to do so you can still be there and watch - there are never, ever enough volunteers at a competition!

It is your body - if you feel able to skate a little, then do; if you feel you'd be better off the ice completely until you've healed, again, that is your choice. And only you can decide which to do! However, if you do feel like skating, look on it as a really good opportunity to work on your next Field Moves test!

russiet
06-08-2006, 05:50 AM
So, has anyone had this and did it really heal after a while?

I posted a month ago about falling on a back inside three...I had an MRI on sat. and it turns out I fractured my humerus (displaced it). I've been skating and reinjuring it ever since, really, so now I'm off the ice for a month and will miss the competition.

The sports medicine doc said I could skate but not jump and couldn't fall.

So, staying off the ice for a month is a good idea, right? I shouldn't just skate anyway? :?? :frus:

You should stay off of the ice unless you can restrain yourself from all but the easiest things. Maybe stick to forwards/backwards stroking and cross-overs. Restraint. Can you do it?

That is, of course, if the docter says that use of your arm won't compromise healing. How you treat/mistreat an injury now may affect your abilities for the rest of your life.

Is the Dr. an orthopedist? That's what you need.

Ask the Dr. whether rehabilitative excersises will be of any help. He can direct you to a physical rehabilitation facility. Be proactive about this, but in a rational way.

If you keep falling on it while its compromised, it will never heal correctly.

I am at 4-1/2 months out from my shoulder "big-bang" and at about 90% strength and mobility in that arm. I have been working at it every day, and I see slow and steady improvement. Looking back on it, my ice time for the first month after the injury wasn't very productive.

Most important is to get a professional to get you going with the right excersizes and levels of intensities. The tendancy for those of us who need physical activity is to over-do it; thinking it will speed the recovery along. Wrong.

Good luck. . .

Jon

looplover
06-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Yeah the doc is an orthopedist who actually plays hockey at my rink...so he said most likely I'll skate regardless of what he tells me, ha! But I'm going to be good and stay off the ice.

I have been in near-constant pain actually, but it must be a really slight break because it didn't show up in two xrays that were read by three people. I think it's the head of the bone that was displaced and not a break in the bone at the arm.

I decided to stay off because my worst falls have been from turns and yesterday a T-stop! Didn't fall on the loops or flips! I better just stay off :??

July 8 I am back on the ice at 7 a.m. and that's that.

Isk8NYC
06-08-2006, 07:26 AM
I've been skating and reinjuring it ever since, really, so now I'm off the ice for a month and will miss the competition.Stay off the ice and let it heal fully. Get the doctor to give you a note and send a copy to the competition director with a nice request for your entry fee back.

iceskaterdawn
06-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I fell practicing footwork and fractured my shoulder in two places right where the rotator cuff muscle attaches to the bone. I ended up having to have surgery, (which was a piece of cake to the 5 reconstructive knee surgeries I had from a different fall a few years prior lol). It healed fairly well and I was back on the ice the day I got clearance from my doctor and physical therapist. :D