View Full Version : When is someone considered an elite skater?

newskaker5
06-07-2006, 09:07 AM
I was wondering in skating what the definition of an elite skater is? The senior level? novice? etc?

phoenix
06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
I guess IMO I'd say when someone is at Novice and is making it through to at least sectionals, they're getting into the realm of the elite.

Isk8NYC
06-07-2006, 09:25 AM
I agree with Phoenix, though, Novice or above is the dividing line for more people. Some Skating Schools use the term "Elite" to give a bit of prestige to their post-LTS group lesson programs. At my home rink, students have to pass Pre-Pre MITF to join the Elite skating classes. (Which are groups.)

My personal opinion is that, when you're learning NEW moves, dances, jumps and spins, not just learning to do moves, dance, jump and spin, you're an elite skater.

Mrs Redboots
06-08-2006, 04:03 AM
Perhaps because we have a smaller pool here, I'd say elite skaters were those who were eligible to enter their country's National Championships at whatever level (apart from Adult).

VegasGirl
06-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Just found this by coincidence on a website while shopping for skates:

Test or Instructional Level:

ISI Freestyle 10
USFSA Senior Free Skate
USFSA Adult Gold Free Skate
USFSA Senior/Gold Pairs

Typical Skill Level:

Elite Skaters, All skills http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/skatebuys/skateselect.html

blue111moon
06-08-2006, 07:03 AM
The ISU Adult Competition defined an elite skater as one who had competed in and ISU Championship or National Championship of a member federation (other than Adult Nationals) or a qualifying competition for a National Championship other than Adult Nationals.

In the US, that would mean anyone who competed in Sectionals or Nationals but not Adult Sectionals or Adult Nationals.

In my little corner of the US, "elite" means you made it to Nationals in a Championship event.

doubletoe
06-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Basically, you're talking skaters who are landing triples. That's Novice, Junior or Senior, making it to Nationals (or at least Sectionals at Senior level).

LoopLoop
06-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Hmm, I was thinking about how I'd define elite. And I came up with "any skater who has landed a clean triple jump in a qualifying competition."

Geek Skater
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Hmm, I was thinking about how I'd define elite. And I came up with "any skater who has landed a clean triple jump in a qualifying competition."
Based on this definition, Tanith Belbin is not an elite skater.

techskater
06-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I think you are just using semantics here. The people who have responded were speaking about FS skaters (singles/pairs). Probably for Dance, it's passed your JR International or higher dances.

sk8er1964
06-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I think the key is representing your country in international competitions at Novice and up. I wouldn't consider an intermediate sectionals champ "elite". On their way, maybe, but not there yet.

Mrs Redboots
06-10-2006, 04:59 AM
I think the key is representing your country in international competitions at Novice and up. I agree! Or, in a small skating country like the UK, qualifying for your national championships at Novice and up!

coskater64
06-10-2006, 08:28 AM
I tend to think of an "elite" skater as one who has represented their country in an international competition. An "elite" skater in the US by my perception is one who is enveloped, either A,B or C. They represent the country and US Figure skating pays their way to competitions where they skate for their country at a given level. (FS, Dance or Pairs)

Mrs Redboots
06-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I tend to think of an "elite" skater as one who has represented their country in an international competition.But you have done that, and I have photos to prove it!

Oh dear, that doesn't quite sound the way I meant it to.... but those of you who have competed at Oberstdorf were representing their countries in an international competition! Even my Husband.has..... and - well, you've seen him skate.....

coskater64
06-10-2006, 04:18 PM
But the caveat is...I paid my own way. By my definition the skater's way is paid for by their governing body.

Mrs Redboots
06-11-2006, 06:50 AM
But the caveat is...I paid my own way. By my definition the skater's way is paid for by their governing body.Wish ours did.... at least, I wouldn't swear to it that they don't, but I've known squad skaters having to fly at very unsocial hours because that was the cheapest option. And they all have to share hotel rooms, too. But that might be our governing body, I don't know.