View Full Version : Tragedy and need to recover

kidskater101
06-06-2006, 05:50 PM
HI,
I have a very unusual story about me and skating. I started skating when I was 5, and mostly tought myself how to skate untill I was 7 when I started to take lessons. I actually could do some singles and very few dubles. One day we went to a rink and a camp was there I was warming up and an older kid came up and pushed me VERY hard down and I broke my wrist, he also skimed the top of my 2 fingers with his hocky skate blade. My parents were petrified, of wat happened to me at such a young age.
So now I am 12 and want to get back into skating again. You have no idea how hard it is to remember how to do jumps! While starting to skate I kept tripping over my left foot, went to my doctor who sent my to several others to find out I have the worst possible case of intoing, and something that has todo with my hip. So now I have to go to phyisical therapy to prevent surgery on my left hip (the scar would be @ least 6 inches long to correct my hip). So I have VERY VERY strong legs (that could probably snap someones head off!)
any way I never learned how todo a Salchow (or just can't remember) can someone PLEASE tell me with much detail how to do it. I need to rem. before my lessons to get into level 6 before july 10th (oh great right!)

dbny
06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I think what you've described are a couple of problems, but no tragedy. Just about everyone who skates is injured sooner or later, and broken wrists are pretty common, as are broken ankles and hip and knee problems. That being said, I think your best bet for learning (or re-learning) a Sal is to have a lesson!

TashaKat
06-07-2006, 12:47 AM
I agree with dbny, you need to have lessons to learn to do it properly. If you were doing doubles before then you would have learned the salchow so it should come back to you easily.

I broke a wrist too skating (doing back 3s) and the only tragedy of it was that I never got back into skating after that, not because of my wrist but because of things that happened to me and my coaches subsequently ... none of them anything to do with my wrist :(

NickiT
06-07-2006, 06:05 AM
I have suffered a broken ankle and a broken wrist through skating and yep, getting back on the ice was a bit daunting but in no way did I see it as a tragedy. I too have a problem with my hip. I have quite a severe twist in my pelvis which means I have one leg longer than the other although my chiropracter re-aligned me again yesterday. I get a lot of pain in my hip on and off. None of these things put me off skating though so you will do just fine.

I agree wtih what others have said. You need to find yourself a coach as this is the only way forward for you really if you want to get back into skating seriously again. I don't think anyone here is really able to teach you a salchow through posts. You need proper tuition on the ice.

Good luck

Nicki

Isk8NYC
06-07-2006, 06:46 AM
You need proper tuition on the ice.Tuition in exchange for tutoring, I hope! LOL

I'm sure there's more to this story than just forgetting how to do one jump. You probably need instruction and correction in a few other things as well. It would be a shame to manage a shaky salchow only to be told that you have other elements that will keep you out of the class you want to join.

You say you took lessons before, so ask your parents to arrange a regular private lesson at the local rink. You can justify it as a way to get into the freestyle group class, which is no doubt less expensive. The coach can evaluate your skating skills at the same time and recommend your placement in the correct class for your level of skating.

NickiT
06-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Tuition in exchange for tutoring, I hope! LOL

:?? Isn't that what I said?!!!

Nicki

Skittl1321
06-07-2006, 08:00 AM
:?? Isn't that what I said?!!!

Nicki

This little side conversation made me go look up the word tuition. I learned something new today. I thought it only meant payment for instruction, apparently it can mean the instruction as well.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tuition

I'm not a good enough skater to give the OP advise, but it seems to me that working with an instructor is the way to go. And good luck with getting started again from an injury- I definetly know how that goes. Just remember it took time to learn the skills in the first place, and it will take time to get them back. Don't expect it to come instantly, and don't be upset or frustrated that you have to work hard to get back what you used to know.

Isk8NYC
06-07-2006, 09:19 AM
This little side conversation made me go look up the word tuition. I learned something new today. I thought it only meant payment for instruction, apparently it can mean the instruction as well.I didn't know that - I've never read/heard it used to mean instruction. (I work at a college, so I guess the $$$ meaning overrides all others in this realm.LOL) I thought you were making a joke about the expense of skating lessons, NickiT. Thanks for broadening my knowledge!

dbny
06-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I didn't know that - I've never read/heard it used to mean instruction. (I work at a college, so I guess the $$$ meaning overrides all others in this realm.LOL) I thought you were making a joke about the expense of skating lessons, NickiT. Thanks for broadening my knowledge!

If you had watched enough Britcoms and other British productions, you would have known that already ;). Note that NickiT is from that neck of the woods, to use an Americanism :lol:. Now go watch more TV!

TaBalie
06-07-2006, 10:24 AM
I can't *imagine* forgetting what a salcow is if you were once doing doubles (or "some singles and very few dubles"). This whole post makes no sense! :??

To OP: Get some lessons ASAP.

NickiT
06-07-2006, 10:39 AM
If you had watched enough Britcoms and other British productions, you would have known that already ;). Note that NickiT is from that neck of the woods, to use an Americanism :lol:. Now go watch more TV!

I must admit I was rather confused and in hindsight wondered if this was a British term. You have confirmed that it is! Sure, tuition here in the UK means being taught!

Just found this!!!

Definition
tuition Show phonetics
noun [U]
1 MAINLY UK teaching, especially when given to a small group or one person, such as in a college or university:
All students receive tuition in logic and metaphysics.
tuition fees

2 MAINLY US the money paid for this type of teaching:
Few can afford the tuition of $12 000 a term

Nicki

flippet
06-07-2006, 01:38 PM
I must admit I was rather confused and in hindsight wondered if this was a British term. You have confirmed that it is! Sure, tuition here in the UK means being taught!

Just found this!!!

Definition
tuition Show phonetics
noun [u]
1 MAINLY UK teaching, especially when given to a small group or one person, such as in a college or university:
All students receive tuition in logic and metaphysics.
tuition fees

2 MAINLY US the money paid for this type of teaching:
Few can afford the tuition of $12 000 a term

Nicki

I have to smile...I did know this, but it's fun to see the differences between British and American English. (For the record, I learned it from Sting..."I will listen hard to your tuition/You will see it come to its fruition." Ahhh...I love it when music is educational! :lol: )

While starting to skate I kept tripping over my left foot, went to my doctor who sent my to several others to find out I have the worst possible case of intoing, and something that has todo with my hip. So now I have to go to phyisical therapy to prevent surgery on my left hip

Your foot turns in so far that you need surgery, and it wasn't discovered until you started to skate? :?? Isn't it obvious when you're walking as well? Strictly curious.

Isk8NYC
06-07-2006, 02:06 PM
If you had watched enough Britcoms and other British productions, you would have known that already ;). Note that NickiT is from that neck of the woods, to use an Americanism :lol:. Now go watch more TV!While I love Monty Python and Upstairs/Downstairs, I definitely need more TV time! (4400 comin' back next Sunday; Dead Zone the week after -- can't wait!)

doubletoe
06-07-2006, 02:19 PM
I didn't know that - I've never read/heard it used to mean instruction. (I work at a college, so I guess the $$$ meaning overrides all others in this realm.LOL) I thought you were making a joke about the expense of skating lessons, NickiT. Thanks for broadening my knowledge!

Yes, we Americans often use words in a limited way compared to the English. I think we originally referred to "tuition" as a "tuition fee" and eventually dropped the "fee" part, causing the confusion.

To quote one of my favorite Police (Sting) songs, "Wrapped Around My Finger,"

I will listen hard to your tuition
You will see it come to it's fruition. . .

Isk8NYC
06-07-2006, 02:54 PM
The "International Language Exchange" is one of the best parts of this Board!
:lol: If it wasn't for TashaKat's use of the word "snogging," I'd have been completely lost throughout Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

doubletoe
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Oops, somebody beat me to it, LOL!!
I see we have more than one Police/Sting fan here! ;)

icedancer2
06-07-2006, 03:30 PM
I see we have more than one Police/Sting fan here! ;)

Sting fan here!:)

jazzpants
06-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Me too!!! LOVE Sting... especially in his solo days! :D

Mr Thomas
06-07-2006, 04:07 PM
I won't interfere in the discussion about the English language, i don't know that much about it. As a skating coach I have some remarks about the injured girl who wants to make a comeback.

First of all, do not wory about jumps. You should start with skating only for the first few weeks of lessons. When you get your confidence back on the ice, the jumps will come in now-time.

Ask your fysiotherapist if it is a good idea to jump with your knee. You wouldn't be the first one to do irreversable damage to your pelvic system with jumping doubles with a hip problem. Wait for the fysiotherapist to give you the go ahead and allways ask a doctor with experiance and knowledge of figure skating for advice. MAybe a surgery is a better option. As a coach I can guarantee that if yu would take a lesson from me I would NOT allow you to jump at all with a hip/foot/leg problem as you discribed below. Figure skating is a lot of fun but will it be fun enough to risk sitting in a wheelchair at the age of thirty.

Check if there is a synchro team or ice dance classes at your club or city and check it out. They can be lots of fun and a good alternative untill your hip problem is sorted out. Get good orthotics and let a coach check out the possition of your blades on the shoes (in that order) to compensate the position of your foot. If you have a difference in the length of your legs you could also let a shoe maker add a layer of lether to the sole and heel of the skate of your shorter leg.

If you just go on the ice you have the real risk of doing your body harm or be forced to quit later on. I wish you all the best with your fysical problems and a lot of fun when skating again.

beachbabe
06-07-2006, 04:24 PM
I won't interfere in the discussion about the English language, i don't know that much about it. As a skating coach I have some remarks about the injured girl who wants to make a comeback.

First of all, do not wory about jumps. You should start with skating only for the first few weeks of lessons. When you get your confidence back on the ice, the jumps will come in now-time.

Ask your fysiotherapist if it is a good idea to jump with your knee. You wouldn't be the first one to do irreversable damage to your pelvic system with jumping doubles with a hip problem. Wait for the fysiotherapist to give you the go ahead and allways ask a doctor with experiance and knowledge of figure skating for advice. MAybe a surgery is a better option. As a coach I can guarantee that if yu would take a lesson from me I would NOT allow you to jump at all with a hip/foot/leg problem as you discribed below. Figure skating is a lot of fun but will it be fun enough to risk sitting in a wheelchair at the age of thirty.

Check if there is a synchro team or ice dance classes at your club or city and check it out. They can be lots of fun and a good alternative untill your hip problem is sorted out. Get good orthotics and let a coach check out the possition of your blades on the shoes (in that order) to compensate the position of your foot. If you have a difference in the length of your legs you could also let a shoe maker add a layer of lether to the sole and heel of the skate of your shorter leg.

If you just go on the ice you have the real risk of doing your body harm or be forced to quit later on. I wish you all the best with your fysical problems and a lot of fun when skating again.

I'm sorry I just had to point this out, but since we're on the topic of english...umm isnt fysiotherapist spelled physiotherapist and fysical problems spelled physical.

or were you doing that on purpose?

sorry i couldnt help myself.

Mr Thomas
06-07-2006, 04:54 PM
You are right. English is my second language and as I am dyslectic I tend to make a lot of writing errors. No I didn't do that on purpose. Thanks for the correction, I will try to remind it.

daisies
06-07-2006, 05:14 PM
To quote one of my favorite Police (Sting) songs, "Wrapped Around My Finger,"

I will listen hard to your tuition
You will see it come to it's fruition. . .

I was gonna quote the same song! The Police's Synchronicity was my favorite album in 10th grade!

But as an editor I would be remiss if I didn't point out that it should read "its fruition" and not "it's fruition" -- "it's" being the contraction for "it is," and "its" being the possessive.

Hey, I'm not the one who turned this thread into a "tuition" of the English language! LOL! :) :) :)

kidskater101
06-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Thank you for all of the comments, and help.
I have check every doctor I've went to and they said that skating was still ok for me, it could actually help my leg, acouple of hours ago I went to my lesson and my coach then reminded me what a salchow was, I rember now what it was. (And I wasn't to good at it eather) ha ha. if any one has any helpfull tips on how to make it not look as sloppy it would be really appriciated! Thanks again!:P :bow: :roll:

fire_ice
06-07-2006, 05:49 PM
I have the worst possible case of intoing
I have that too!!! Doesn't sound like its as bad as yours, but if you have what i think you have, it sucks a lot! Doing spread eagles is pretty much impossible...haha i can actually do a spread eagle with my toes facing inward8O

Skittl1321
06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=doubletoe]Yes, we Americans often use words in a limited way compared to the English. I think we originally referred to "tuition" as a "tuition fee" and eventually dropped the "fee" part, causing the confusion.

[QUOTE]

I feel bad continuing the thread jack, but I'm interested that people used to say "tuiton fee" as in a fee for the tuiton.

When I went to college (recently) we had tuition and fees. As in money paid for classes and money paid for everything else! They were two seperate things.

doubletoe
06-07-2006, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=doubletoe]Yes, we Americans often use words in a limited way compared to the English. I think we originally referred to "tuition" as a "tuition fee" and eventually dropped the "fee" part, causing the confusion.

[QUOTE]

I feel bad continuing the thread jack, but I'm interested that people used to say "tuiton fee" as in a fee for the tuiton.

When I went to college (recently) we had tuition and fees. As in money paid for classes and money paid for everything else! They were two seperate things.

Who knows, it could very well have been "tuition payment", "tuition fee" or anything to that effect, that eventually got shortened to just "tuition" as we stopped using that word in everyday speech to mean instruction or tutelage (another word you don't hear a lot). "Fee" has also taken on a rather specific meaning in the U.S. in recent years and now tends to refer to an charge that is in addition to the main service you're paying for. . . but not always. Okay, back to skating, LOL!

Mrs Redboots
06-08-2006, 04:10 AM
haha i can actually do a spread eagle with my toes facing inward8OI have a friend who does that as she turns in rather than out. It amazes our mutual coach, who has seriously good turnout and, in fact, finds those moves that require you to turn in far more difficult! So my friend puts here "unspread Eagle" into her programmes, and I believe it's quite common for people to do that.

dbny
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM
I have a friend who does that as she turns in rather than out. It amazes our mutual coach, who has seriously good turnout and, in fact, finds those moves that require you to turn in far more difficult! So my friend puts here "unspread Eagle" into her programmes, and I believe it's quite common for people to do that.

I can turn my feet in that much also, and have heard the move called a "pigeon eagle".