View Full Version : New Jump learned.

gt20001
06-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Last week i landed my first toe loop they are still off and on but getting better am finally starting to incorporate it in a waltz toe loop combo. And about 3 months ago my coach showed me the salcow and i tried to do it and it was just a splat fest i didnt even think i remembered how to do it she only showed it to me once and today i decided to give it another go and i actually landed one the first time around and i tried another and i kept doing it occasionally two footing but i was landing them nonetheless. It felt so great when i started skating 6 months ago i never thought i would ever be able to jump and now i am doing two full jumps. I couldnt believe it when i landed it today. Now i am going to get coach to teach me the loop tomorrow. I only wish my spins would come as easy as my jumps seem to. I was soo happy to accomplish this today and wanted to share. any tips on loop and flip would be appreciated. :D :D :D

SkatingOnClouds
06-06-2006, 03:23 AM
That's great. Nothing like landing a jump for the first time.
I'd suggest though, that you get these jumps solid before worrying about loops and flips.
Stop for a moment and pat yourself on the back for what you are achieving now, rather than glossing over it in your eagerness to master the next thing.

NickiT
06-06-2006, 06:19 AM
That's great. Nothing like landing a jump for the first time.
I'd suggest though, that you get these jumps solid before worrying about loops and flips.
Stop for a moment and pat yourself on the back for what you are achieving now, rather than glossing over it in your eagerness to master the next thing.

I agree. Give yourself a huge pat on the back for landing this jump. However like StakingOnClouds says, it's sensible for you to concentrate on getting these jumps solid before moving onto combos, loops and flips. The loop and flip is quite a big step up from the toe-loop so get your toe-loop solid first.

Nicki

Evelina
06-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Well done on all the jumping! But I agree, get your jumps consistent before you move on. I found the loop came to me pretty fast, but am currently battling with the flip.

gt20001
06-07-2006, 10:29 PM
I am still working on perfecting the salcow and the toe loop and i practice many each day but today my coach taught me the loop and after a little while i actually got it she said i landed several cheated ones and several clean ones i was so happy then she started showing me the flip and that was a disaster i think i am going to work on the back spin and the loop a little more and getting my half flip from a three turn i originally learned my half flip from backward crossovers so i need to re learn it. i couldnt believe i learned another jump and got at least 2 revolutions out of my backspin i have never even attempted a backspin before today. It has been a great couple of weeks. :D

SpiralSweetie09
06-08-2006, 07:21 AM
i just learned those two jumps also! I have to say, now that Im not falling on my face each time, this salchow isn't so bad after all. ;) It took me 45 minutes to learn it, and those 45 minutes were full of fall after fall. I think the toe loop is a lot easy compared to the salchow, and doesn't it feel good to throw your hands up in the air and yell, "YEA! I LANDED IT!" no advice here, because sounds like we're learning the same things!

gt20001
06-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Yeah today i did the salcow many many times from backward crossovers going pretty fast and my coach was so excited when i actually remembered to pull my arms in and i landed it cleanly then after the lesson i landed like 10 in a row clean i looked back at my tracing and no hook when i landed. I also worked on my salcow, split falling leaf, waltz jump combo that is in my program and she thought that it looked great. I have been so happy. :P :P