View Full Version : Im off the ice - an explanation

cassarilda
06-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Some of you might have noticed that I havent been around, or reporting my training as regularly as I was when I started.

This has nothing to do with my decrease of interest in ice skating... quite the opposite actually, considering Im not allowed back on the ice for some time.

Ive been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymphatic system, and apart from having surgery to my neck to remove some lumps and not wanting to split the wound or injure my neck, Ive got to undergo some chemotherapy for 3months (minimum.. we learn more in a few weeks), and then some radiotherapy...

Since the chemo will lower my immune system considerably, Ive been told to stay off the ice until after I finish treatment.. very annoying considering I was just getting choctaws, which I considered a great achievement after only skating for about 2months! :frus:

So, Ive got to postpone my training, which is probably a good thing as I didnt want to get bad habits from skating at the crappy small rink anyway, but still a bad thing as I wanted to be ready for my prelim test by the end of the year.

Things are still up in the air regarding treatment length as Im required for a few more tests for staging purposes (to see how far its spread). If I start treatment by August, I should hopefully be finished it by November.. then I have to have some radiotherapy, so Im hoping I'll be given the all clear by Christmas... and then I can start training full on in the New Year! :D

Anyhoo.. just an update from me! :) Im fine with all this.. its annoying, but in terms of being frightened, I was more scared when I didnt know what it was, but now I know I can easily deal with it (and curse it for stuffing up my ice skating schedule ;) ).. but everything happens for a reason, and I reckon it was to make sure I didnt get bad habits on the small rink ;) We will be moving back to Perth so when i can skate again, it will be on a good big rink, with nice ice! :D looking forward to it..

So thats me. :) I'll still be popping in when I can.. I still have to finish my final year of uni (my initiative.. its my final semester, I am NOT about to postpone graduating! :lol: ). :)

dbny
06-03-2006, 09:08 PM
(((((cassarilda)))))

Thanks for letting us know. I had noticed your absence. You really have a very positive outlook, which certainly can't hurt. I hope you've caught it in the earliest stage. Of all the cancers, I'm sure you know that this is one of the most curable. Looking forward to the time when you are back on the ice and sharing your skating news with us!

Rusty Blades
06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh Cassarilda I am so sorry to hear about your temporary glitch!

I will be sending as much positive energy your way as I can find.

HUG!!!!!

Terri C
06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
You are in my prayers!! White lights coming your way!!
(((Cassarilda)))

sue123
06-03-2006, 10:40 PM
That's a great outlook to have. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sk8pdx
06-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Cassarilda
Hugs to you! We will be looking forward to positive postings about your treatment. We will see you back on the ice soon!

Debbie S
06-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I admire your positive attitude - it will take you a long way!

A friend of mine from college was diagnosed with Hodgkin's in her mid-20s and I'm happy to report that she made a full recovery.

Casey
06-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Best of luck with your recovery. I hope you can still meet your goals!

NickiT
06-04-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this. You must be feeling pretty devastated right now. I wish you all the best with the treatment and a speedy recovery. Hoping you are back on the ice in no time at all.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
06-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Get well soon, Erinna. Chemo and radiotherapy won't be much fun, but I believe they have made huge advances in recent years so you shouldn't feel too awful while it's happening.

Please keep us updated.

samba
06-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Just stay positive, you are young and you have so many goals in life and that is a very good thing when it comes to recovery.

All the very best of luck.

jazzpants
06-04-2006, 01:09 PM
~~~ positive healing energy ~~~> cassarilda

I'm sorry to hear about this and I look forward to the day where you're given the all clear and you're back skating again!!!! Stay focused and positive! One day at a time!!! You CAN beat this thing... and look at "going back on the ice" as incentive to get healthy!!!

AndreaUK
06-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi Cassarilda

Wishing you all the very very best for a speedy recovery. Stay positive and Im sure things will work out for you.

Sending you love and light and healing energy

xx

Andrea xx

mikawendy
06-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Dear Erinna--
Sending white light and healing vibes your way for a speedy recovery. {{{HUGS}}

beachbabe
06-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Its really great you have such a positive attitude...happy people are proven to heal faster:P

I really hope you get well soon and so sorry to hear you're sick:cry:

Good luck with the treatment and I hope you get better so you can skate :)

Thin-Ice
06-05-2006, 03:22 AM
I'm soooo impressed by your positive attitude! That will help your body fight off the "bad guys" and help you recover quickly! Best wishes and I'll keep you in my thoughts.

AW1
06-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Erinna, you know I think you're amazing, both as an artist and an individual and strong woman. I know that if anyone can get through this it will be you! If you ever need anything (and I mean anything) let me know! I might not be close enough to come and hug you, but I can certainly send virtual hugs and pictures of cute animals to make you smile.

I hadn't realised your hiatus (sp?) would be for the whole time you were having treatment, but I suppose that makes perfect sense. (alani's brain = :frus: )

You know where to find me!

BIG HUGS To you!

:D Alani

aussieskater
06-05-2006, 04:26 AM
Erinna, my best wishes for a complete and fast recovery. Take the time you need; the ice will still be there when you are able to return to it! {{{Erinna}}}

Isk8NYC
06-05-2006, 06:59 AM
I'm sorry to hear this news. I hope your recovery is fast and easy.

One of the gentlemen in my office (a former hockey player, in fact) has been managing that disease since he was 16. He had the surgery, chemo, etc. initially. He has follow-up radiology treatments (I think it was seed implantation) every 2 years.

I'm sure your friends on the Aussie board will keep you entertained with their stories of training, etc. Stop in the Parlor from time to time and check in with us, too!

Moto Guzzi
06-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Erinna, I'm sorry to hear this and hope you have a quick recovery. Good luck with your treatments and stay strong!

TashaKat
06-05-2006, 12:36 PM
(((((Hugs))))) and our very best wishes to you.

TK x Saffy Horse x and Tigger Cat x

flo
06-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Cass - A skater friend of mine has gone through the same thing, right after she had a baby. Now she is well and back on the ice.
All the best.

1lutz2klutz
06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Hope you're feeling better soon! Keep up the great attitude!

montanarose
06-05-2006, 07:27 PM
As others have said, as cancers go, this is by far one of the "best" 8O that you could have. There have been so many dramatic improvements in therapy over the past few years, and you will no doubt be reaping the benefits of all the most recent scientific advancements.

And, while maybe less "scientific" (but something in which I, a former medical researcher myself, firmly believe), you seem to be blessed with a positive attitude and courageous spirit. These things will, indeed, stand you in good stead (as Uncle Dick would say :lol: ) in your fight.

Stay strong, keep those good thoughts and that good energy flowing, and you'll be back amongst us on the ice before you know it.

Cheers,
Ellen

CanAmSk8ter
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Good luck and... well, I was going to say "stay positive", but it sounds like you've got that part down! Keep us up to date and feel free to skate vicariously through us!

P.S. I'm impressed you're anywhere near doing choctaws- I've been skating for 10+ years and I HATE the darn things. I can do them, but I try not to ;) Unfortunately the ISU didn't consult me when creating the compulsory dances...