View Full Version : WOHOO! I <3 today!

Ceres
06-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Yay! :o

Today I landed the HALF FLIP!!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't even intend to do a flip but I managed to do a half flip...I was like "OMIGOD..!!! I ACTUALLY DID HALF OF AN ADVANCED JUMP!!!" I mean since I'm not taking lessons or anything and here I am landing a half flip several times....:P :P :P :P :P I WAS SERIOUSLY GOING 'WOW WOW WOW'!

...Sorry, I'm sorta too excited.

xofivebyfive
06-03-2006, 09:26 PM
I do find it very odd that you are doing half flips and spins and jumps, without ever taking any formal lessons. But cool nonetheless. I've been landing a very decent half flip myself.

dbny
06-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I know a young skater, a high school student, who was entirely self taught through singles and sit spins. What she lacked was proper technique and edge control. With a few lessons she improved in those areas and now has an Axel and is not far from being able to pass USFS pre-prelim moves with prelim not being far behind. She's quite a lovely skater. Talent goes a long way, but lessons are ultimately essential, AFAIK.

Ceres
06-04-2006, 09:26 PM
I do find it very odd that you are doing half flips and spins and jumps, without ever taking any formal lessons. But cool nonetheless. I've been landing a very decent half flip myself.

Well I cheated the landing though...But neverthless, I still landed it...!

Sonic
06-05-2006, 05:46 AM
Sorry about my ignorance - what is a half flip?

S xxx

xofivebyfive
06-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Well I cheated the landing though...But neverthless, I still landed it...!
Lol how can you tell? I didn't think it was possible to cheat half rev jumps. Ha ha. But it is exciting when you learn a new jump. I just recently landed a toeloop. Looked like a bird falling out of its nest, but it was very exciting to jump and turn a whole rotation in the air and not fall on my butt.

xofivebyfive
06-05-2006, 02:43 PM

S xxx
It's basically half a flip. LOL.

The Half Flip rotates half of a turn, taking off backwards and landing forward. The skater glides on a left back inside (LBI) edge. The left arm is extended forward, the right leg is extended backward. The skater slightly bends the skating leg, then taps the ice with the freeleg and springs up with rotation. After rotating halfway around, the skater lands briefly on the toe pick of the left foot (going forward), then quickly lands and transfers the glide to the right foot.

Ceres
06-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Lol how can you tell? I didn't think it was possible to cheat half rev jumps. Ha ha. But it is exciting when you learn a new jump. I just recently landed a toeloop. Looked like a bird falling out of its nest, but it was very exciting to jump and turn a whole rotation in the air and not fall on my butt.

Wow really???? :P That's awesome! How old are you?

TwirlGirl10
06-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah thats pretty awsome. I love landing new jumps. I LANDED MY DOUBLE FLIP TODAY!

xofivebyfive
06-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Wow really???? :P That's awesome! How old are you?
I'm fifteen. :halo: And I'm extremely lucky that I only live ten minutes away from my rink, so I can skate 5 or 6 days a week. That's probably why I'm progressing through my group lessons so fast, and why I'm in Freestyle one after 3 months. OMG and my coach said she wanted to make a program for me so I can practice it in the summer and compete this fall. I'm so excited. :!:

Ceres
06-05-2006, 06:24 PM
I hope I can do all the one-rotation jumps by 15....*cries*

Life is so short! :frus:

xofivebyfive
06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I hope I can do all the one-rotation jumps by 15....*cries*

Life is so short! :frus:
I'm pretty sure that since you're only eleven(almost twelve) and you're already clearly advanced for not having taken any lessons at all, once you get private lessons you will pick things up amazingly fast. You could probably be on doubles and possibly triples by the time you're my age now.

vendetta
06-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Getting jumps without a coach is great! I'm sure you'll be working on your doubles by the time you're fifteen. :) Once you get through the single revolution jumps, things move a bit more quickly. :D

Ceres
06-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Getting jumps without a coach is great! I'm sure you'll be working on your doubles by the time you're fifteen. :) Once you get through the single revolution jumps, things move a bit more quickly. :D

Wow thanks! :DI hope lol

I'm pretty sure that since you're only eleven(almost twelve) and you're already clearly advanced for not having taken any lessons at all, once you get private lessons you will pick things up amazingly fast. You could probably be on doubles and possibly triples by the time you're my age now.

I hope I will hehe! When did you start skating, xofivebyfive?

xofivebyfive
06-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Wow thanks! :DI hope lol

I hope I will hehe! When did you start skating, xofivebyfive?
Uhh three months and two days ago. :P

beachbabe
06-05-2006, 10:53 PM

that was definately not true for me. I got all my singles in about 6 months. Took another 6 moths just to get a secure double sal and another 3 months for double toe. Double loop and flip were easier but i still dont have them permanently consistent right now.

CanAmSk8ter
06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
How are you going into the half-flip? Are you doing it from a three-turn or a mohawk?

Ceres
06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Uhh three months and two days ago. :P

WOW! And you're already landing toe loops!!!! congrats!

Ceres
06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
How are you going into the half-flip? Are you doing it from a three-turn or a mohawk?

From a mohawk. :P

xofivebyfive
06-06-2006, 06:31 PM
I tried doing it from a mohawk.. and it just felt.. not right. haha.

Kevin Callahan
06-06-2006, 07:13 PM
It took me several frustrating lessons to get my flip, but now it's my favorite jump because I actually love the feeling of going into it. Yet I can't seem to do a stag :?? Makes no sense.

The half flip was interesting, Barry taught it to me, and it confused Tim because they don't have half anything in the UK.

samba
06-07-2006, 11:06 AM
The half flip was interesting, Barry taught it to me, and it confused Tim because they don't have half anything in the UK.

Well that's news to me, I have included a half loop in my combination for the past 4 years in competition?

NickiT
06-07-2006, 11:39 AM

S xxx

Hi Sonic. We tend not to do half jumps here in the UK. I think a half flip has the same take off as a full flip but you land facing forwards on the other foot. Being a UK skater I doubt you will ever come across one!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
06-08-2006, 04:05 AM
Well that's news to me, I have included a half loop in my combination for the past 4 years in competition?Perhaps your coach trained in the USA? Also do you mean the half loop where you take off backwards and land forwards (and isn't that a mazurka?), or where you do a full rotation but land on your left foot, not your right, which is what I think is called a half loop in the USA.