View Full Version : Blister on the inside right heel

Ice T
06-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey gang! It's me again -- the blister queen. I've got new skates that I have been on since January. They are rubbing a blister on the inside of my right heel. My foot moves in the boot when I do spins or jumps on my right foot, and when it does it rubs this spot. I am at my wits end with this. I sent them back to the manufactuer and they put more padding in the boot, and punched out the area a bit. But I got them back today and it is no better.

I am very adamant that I should have a boot that fits. I don't think that I should have to wrap my foot, or wear bandages, or socks, or whatever. It should just fit! Ugh!

Please guys -- give me some suggestions for help. I just dropped $185 to have "repairs" done on my boots and ship them back and forth, was off the ice for 2 weeks, and only to have the same problem. What do I do????

:frus:

Ice T

Casey
06-02-2006, 09:00 PM
I've been fighting misfitting boots for the last year. Looking back, I would have been better to go back to the fitter early on, and insist upon a refund or replacement, instead of waiting too long trying to fix things myself. Now I'm buying an entire new set at my own expense bacause of my original shortsightedness. Your fitter should not have sold you a pair of skates that doesn't fit. Find a more reputable one with a better, proven reputation, next time.

However if you're stuck with your boots, get a set of bunga heel pads. These have been a lifesaver for me.

vesperholly
06-03-2006, 04:02 AM
I am very adamant that I should have a boot that fits. I don't think that I should have to wrap my foot, or wear bandages, or socks, or whatever. It should just fit! Ugh!
You know, nothing's going to be 100% perfect, and unless you are literally in the shop having the boots built around your feet, I don't think you're ever going to get a perfect, spot-on, absolutely-no-adjustments-needed fit. Boots are built by humans, and you are human. Feet change, pressure points change, etc.

My last pair of boots were basically perfect after I broke them in, but I still had to get them bumped in the ankle, a teensy bit of stretch in the toes and I had to put red rubber pads where the edge of the tongue rubbed my leg. I guess I could've sent them back to soften the edge of the tongue, but why be such a drama queen about it when a $1 pad will fix it just as good?

I think you should try bunga pads or some lambswool. A simple thing may just be the perfect solution, instead of this back-and-forth with the boot makers.

Ice T
06-03-2006, 07:29 AM
I bought the same boot this time as I had before. The last pair of boots I wore for 5 years and never had any problems. The pair before that was also the same brand and I never had any problems. So I expected the same results from this pair. Just as a side note, my heel was not the only place where the boots were tearing my feet apart, which is why I finally sent them back. I could post pictures, but I wouldn't want to gross you all out. :)

I'm not trying to be dramatic about it all, but I have spent tons of money on blister band-aid products, too much time and energy every day wrapping my feet just to try and get through a session without intense pain, and then I can never wear sandals any place because my feet are all torn apart.......I guess you might say that I just reached my breaking point!

I sent an email to the Bunga people to see what they would suggest. I have tried just about everything to get these skates to work. I have even had to have this pair punched in two places, which I have never had to do before. I hope you can understand my frustration.

I really can't bear the thought of having to drop $700 for a pair of custom boots, when I just spent $600 for the new stock pair (which I state again has always worked before). Plus, add to that the 5 weeks it will take to make them, and the 3 weeks to break them in. Ugh! My competitive season is going down the tank.

Paulie86
06-03-2006, 08:30 AM
I had a similar problem after I returned to skating after a 2yr break earlier in the year. My skates where giving me a blister on my left heel and I was in so much pain. My coach and I figures it was because I was doing more edge work and jumps that put extra pressure on my heel, which was causing the rubbing and blisters. Instead of getting bunga pads, I bought a pair of Scholl Party Feet Heel cusions beause they were way cheaper and they work a treat. I don't get blisters or any pain anymore. It's a little fiddly to get them in they right position, and to make sure theres no kinks when putting your boot on, but it may give u that little bit extra to stop the movement and they blisters.

Ice T
06-03-2006, 09:10 AM
I bought a pair of Scholl Party Feet Heel cusions beause they were way cheaper and they work a treat.

Hi Pauline,

Is this the right website?

http://shop.partyfeet.co.uk/

Are they the "gel heel shields?"

Thanks!

mikawendy
06-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I had a similar problem after I returned to skating after a 2yr break earlier in the year. My skates where giving me a blister on my left heel and I was in so much pain. My coach and I figures it was because I was doing more edge work and jumps that put extra pressure on my heel, which was causing the rubbing and blisters. Instead of getting bunga pads, I bought a pair of Scholl Party Feet Heel cusions beause they were way cheaper and they work a treat. I don't get blisters or any pain anymore. It's a little fiddly to get them in they right position, and to make sure theres no kinks when putting your boot on, but it may give u that little bit extra to stop the movement and they blisters.

Paulie86, I'm developing a similar problem. When you used those Scholls cushoins, did you ever tape them in place to make getting them into the boot easier? Right now, I use bunga sleeves, but there's still enough rubbing (though my heel isn't moving up and down) that I'm getting a pretty sore blister/corn/callus there. I've also contemplated using moleskin layers with a hole cut where the raised area (about 3/4" inches wide) is, so that the irritated area isn't rubbing so much against the boot....

beachbabe
06-03-2006, 04:02 PM
perhaps they changed the design and its no longer good for your foot shape. I was having a similar problem in my jacksons so i went to the podiatrist( not boot manufacturer) - the guy took my boots and glued in a permanent heel cushion in the back that locks your foot with gel.

I'm considering getting sp teris or something because they seem to have a much better type of heel for my foot, b/c i have a very narrow heel. My jacksons are B/A and the heel is way tooo wide without my docs heel cushion. i sort of dislike having my foot pushed forward by the cushion so i may end up getting some sp teris.

Maybe you also need to change brands to get a better fit in your heel, or if you need a good solution that lasts for a while talk to your podiatrist, they can put stuff in your boots to make it better and they know alot more about feet...at least i think so.

mikawendy
06-03-2006, 06:22 PM
My Jacksons are B/A, too. My skate pro said that for my next pair (probably stock boots with some customized options), I can probably order a split width, with B or C forefoot and a narrower heel than A (I think my heel is AA or AAA).

Paulie86
06-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Hi Pauline,

Is this the right website?

http://shop.partyfeet.co.uk/

Are they the "gel heel shields?"

Thanks!

Yep that's the right site. And my name is Paula, not Pauline (sorry to be petty).

mikawendy I never taped them in my boot to make them easier to get into. They are slightly sticky to start with, but they lose that pretty quickly. Bu I think that it woulddn't make much difference because of they way I positioned them. They are positioned so they kinda go ever so slightly under the heel and because of the shape of my boot I have to hold it in place while I get my boot on. Which is ok as long as the laces are loose enough to allow you to do so. I find it takes no longer to lace up than normal and I can position the cushion right where the sore spot is to get max comfort. Hope this helps.

Ice T
06-05-2006, 07:18 AM
my name is Paula, not Pauline.

Sorry about that. I think I meant to type "Paulie," which is part of your screen name. But we have a coach at my rink named "Pauline" so I think that's where my mind went. :)

BatikatII
06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
I have a blister in the exact same spot right now from new boots that I've had for a couple of weeks. I would definitely say that I am trying to do much more edge work in these boots than when my old boots were new and this is maybe why I'm having more problem. However I found that the cheapest 'Tesco' (UK supermarket) own brand of blister plaster have worked a treat and they stay put for ever. A similar brand is Compeed - don't know what you have in the US. They are quite large oval shaped ones and once in place you press with your hand to warm them and that helps them adhere. Then it just stays in place til it drops off naturally when the blister is healed which can be weeks. It doesn't come off even if you get it wet (including swimming). hopefully after a few more weeks I'll be fine. On my old boots I liined the inside of the tops of the boots with moleskin plaster (so it stayed on teh boots and not my feet) and that helped too.