View Full Version : Jumper or spinner?

sue123
06-02-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm just curious what people consider themselves more, jumpers or spinners? I'm more of a spinner. I never had a problem getting revolutions in a spin, or learning a new one. It only took me a couple lessons to go from a one foot spin to a scratch sppin. Sure it wasn't as good as the elites, but it was recognizable. Course, it took me nearly two months before I could even get anywhere off the ice doing a waltz jump. And even then, it was barely going anywhere, maybe 2 inches. I much prefer spinning. What about anyone else?

Skittl1321
06-02-2006, 11:18 AM
I wish I could be a spinner- but so far I only know how to do a 2 footed spin and am struggling with it because I am being told to spin against my natural direction because, apparently, it will help me later when I get to jumps to be a CCW (because I am very right dominant).

In dance, I'm definetly a turner- so it's tough for me to not pick up spinning right away.

I start learning a bunny hop in the next set of lessons, so who knows- maybe I'll bloom into a jumper.

doubletoe
06-02-2006, 12:14 PM
My jumps have always been ahead of my spins. Since jumps happen fairly quickly and spins take longer to do, I probably just have too much time to mess something up when I go into a spin, LOL! Also, I have the advantage of having good spring in my legs, so jump height has never been a problem.

jenlyon60
06-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Dancer. Although I do have to spin occasionally.

xofivebyfive
06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I cannot seem to spin without scratching my toepick along with it. I just can't get my balance on the right part of the blade. On the other hand, my jumps are coming along very rapidly, and don't look horrible either. So I'd said for now I'm a jumper.

Debbie S
06-02-2006, 01:03 PM
I guess today, I'm a spinner, not that my spins are anything to write home about - lol. But as I posted in the other thread, I don't have much spring, so jumping is not easy for me.

Mrs Redboots
06-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Can't do either; need to be able to spin for dance. Can do a couple of "jumps", but it's a bit random whether they leave the ice or not.

mikawendy
06-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Put me down as undecided/confused! :lol: I think I spin better than I jump, but lately, I find each equally enjoyable and each with its own challenges. I think in the past year, though I've had progress in both jumps and spins, I've progressed farther in jumps, in that now I jump a little less like my grandma. Still not as high/big as I want, but at least a little less teeny than before!

Ceres
06-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm definetly a jumper. I dislike some spins e.g. the scratch spin, but I am very good at the half flip and stag jump! I landed a half flip a dozen times today! WOHOO!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SkatingOnClouds
06-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Jumper, definitely.

It has taken me a lot longer to regain my spins than my jumps. And right now while I'm injured and can't skate, my body is just aching to jump. Spins are okay, but jumping is the closest I'll ever come to unassisted flying.

Casey
06-04-2006, 03:33 AM
Grrrr...where's the both option?

sue123
06-04-2006, 08:17 AM

Sorry, I forgot. Is there any way to edit polls?

VegasGirl
06-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Definitely jumper, I hate hate HAAATE spins!!!

Sk8pdx
06-04-2006, 11:05 AM
:frus: where's the neither option?
For me, it depends on the direction of the wind.

ETA. OH, there it is! I found it:oops:

Paulie86
06-05-2006, 12:12 AM

Yea, where is it???

I put down spinner though, because I seem to be advancing quicker in my spins than my jumps, but I still like jumping. I wish I was a better jumper. I really can't wait to try some more advanced jumps, but for now I'm working really hard on consistently landing my salchow and loop jumps (I can consistently land my toe-loop and waltz jumps now 9 times out of 10) and severly struggling with the flip. I just can't seem to "jump" the jump in the flip, can do the rest of it, just not the jump. ARgh:frus:

Casey
06-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Yea, where is it???

I put down spinner though, because I seem to be advancing quicker in my spins than my jumps, but I still like jumping. I wish I was a better jumper. I really can't wait to try some more advanced jumps, but for now I'm working really hard on consistently landing my salchow and loop jumps (I can consistently land my toe-loop and waltz jumps now 9 times out of 10) and severly struggling with the flip. I just can't seem to "jump" the jump in the flip, can do the rest of it, just not the jump. ARgh:frus:
Get your picking leg STRAIGHT. No knee bend when you pick in.

Bend your skating leg as you go backwards...more!

Don't pick by lifting your leg up and then kicking the ice. Rather, pick the STRAIGHT picking leg into the ice gently, and use it as a vault, pulling your shoulders back. That will give you all the height you need.

Still not working? Probably your picking leg is still bending when you pick. Focus on it... Work on half flips or pop-ups first to get comfortable with it.

Good luck!

Sonic
06-05-2006, 04:27 AM
Well I HATED spins for a while...until my coach suggested it was my blades at fault rather than a technique problem, as I was skidding all over the place.

I got new blades...and haven't looked back, I don't mind spins now...can do a good upright spin, cross spin and managed 4 revs on a camel spin - just don't ask me to do a sit spin :giveup: tho lol!

I like jumping mostly..apart from Salchows for some reason.

So conclusion? Neither spinner or jumper...moderate at both (jack of all trades and master of none I think !):lol:

S xxx

sceptique
06-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Definitelly not a spinner. I can land all singles by now, including lutz, but a centered upright spin with more than 5 revs still feels like winning a lottery, even though every practice I spend at least an hour working on spins.

Isk8NYC
06-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Sue: I added the "BOTH" option to your poll.

NickiT
06-05-2006, 10:00 AM
I think my jumps and spins are pretty evenly matched so I voted "both".

Nicki

Skate@Delaware
06-05-2006, 11:43 AM
I voted for both, but it just depends on how I feel on any particular day and if my body is going to cooperate! I'm sloooowly building up the number of jumps and spins I can do (or sort-of do).

Some days end up being neither and I end up working on 3-turns and stroking.....:roll:

manleywoman
06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Spinner for sure. I can do Level 4 spins, catchfoot, tough positions, etc, and I learn then in a few sessions. But it has taken me two years to land a cheated 2flip.

fmh
06-05-2006, 03:17 PM
m jumps rock and my spins suck, which really sucks because lots of people think spins are the easy things :frus:

Paulie86
06-06-2006, 03:53 AM
Get your picking leg STRAIGHT. No knee bend when you pick in.

Bend your skating leg as you go backwards...more!

Don't pick by lifting your leg up and then kicking the ice. Rather, pick the STRAIGHT picking leg into the ice gently, and use it as a vault, pulling your shoulders back. That will give you all the height you need.

Still not working? Probably your picking leg is still bending when you pick. Focus on it... Work on half flips or pop-ups first to get comfortable with it.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind and put it into practice next time I'm over at the rink.:)