View Full Version : Back on the ice again!!! WOO HOO!!!

jazzpants
06-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Since there's no lesson/practice thread for this week... (DOH!!!) 8O

Okay, so it's not like I have a broken leg and was out like 6 months or more but... I am back on the ice from nasty fall on the right knee last Thursday. :mrgreen: I still have major bruises and a nasty skin cut on the joint. But I can finally bend my knee and put weight on it as I bend well enough that I could resume skating with it. The painful part now is trying not to wear stuff that would push on the wound. (Yup! I thought about wearing knee pads, but it will push on the wound, which would definitely hurt like hell. So no go on the knee pads!!!) :(

As for how's the skating? Well, it's not perfect... I'm still trying to not be so shaky on the moves when I do bend my bad knee. My 5 step sure falls under that case, since I really need to bend and extend well at the same time!!! But otherwise, it was reasonable decent.

We'll see how things are tomorrow morning when I take my makeup lesson with my secondary coach. :D But just wanted to say how happy I am to be back skating again. I know it's only been a week... but it sure feels like an eternity!!! :P :lol:

Debbie S
06-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Yay, Jazz! Congratulations on your successful return to the ice!

Yeah, what happened to the lesson/practice thread for this week?:?? (I can never think of good titles, so I'm definitely not a candidate to start one. :oops:)

I think I am starting to get the hang of the 3-turns in the field. I was able to do them tonight both along the hockey line and on the pattern. And I think I actually ended up on the FO edge after the BI turns.

My coach started me on the power pulls tonight - even the 2-foot thing is a challenge - will I ever get the hang of these? :frus:

Program run-through was "eh" - not horrible, not great. I'm trying to replace the toe loop at the end with a loop to increase the difficulty, and also add a toe loop to the first loop to have a loop in combo (new rules). If only I could actually do the loop with the music playing.... :roll:

Just as I was about to leave the rink (along with several others), a torrential downpour began that sent water into the lobby through the front doors within minutes (this has happened before). Some others and I helped the program director move all bags, shoes, etc from the floor to the benches, and she ran off to find the Zam/cashier guy to bring out the wet-vac. As I ran out through some 4 inches of water that had accumulated outside the doors (I had an umbrella but it didn't do a lot), one of the kids (he's about 12 or 13) was on his cell phone asking a parent to pick him up "before a tsunami comes and sweeps me away" - gotta love middle schoolers. :roll: :lol:

icedancer2
06-01-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm so glad you are back on the ice -- I know it must have felt like forever.:bow:

But when I read this:

We'll see how things are tomorrow morning when I take my makeup lesson with my secondary coach.

I thought for a second that you had a coach for putting on makeup! And I was like WHAAAA---??????

Oh a make-up lesson, I get it now...:giveup:

jazzpants
06-02-2006, 12:08 AM
I think I am starting to get the hang of the 3-turns in the field. I was able to do them tonight both along the hockey line and on the pattern. And I think I actually ended up on the FO edge after the BI turns.Funny you mentioned 3-turns in the field. That's half of what I ended up starting on after going thru the Bronze Moves (b/c the rink got really REALLY crowded by the time I got thru all the Bronze Moves elements and we had like 15 minutes left.) I could not get the hang of BO3's to save my life and I'm not sure I want to even try the BI3's again. (Same with the forward outside mohawks. I feel like I'm gonna end up killing myself on one side trying to GET the forward outside mohawks! EEEEEK!!! 8O The other side isn't perfect, but I can clearly see that I'll get my 8 step mohawk sequence going that direction first! :roll: )

My coach started me on the power pulls tonight - even the 2-foot thing is a challenge - will I ever get the hang of these? :frus: Oh, power pulls are fun... well at least doing them forward. BACKWARDS OTOH... I think I'm gonna wear one of those bicycle helmets with the little rear view mirrors on it just so I don't end up killing someone (or someone killing ME!!!) 8O They're not great yet (no power at all!!!) but I can sorta do them.

Program run-through was "eh" - not horrible, not great. I'm trying to replace the toe loop at the end with a loop to increase the difficulty, and also add a toe loop to the first loop to have a loop in combo (new rules). If only I could actually do the loop with the music playing.... :roll: I'm not even thinking of jumps at this time. I just want my moves test DONE w/o killing myself or some kid again. If they're gonna kill me, at least WAIT 'til after I finish my Bronze Moves test first!!! :roll:

Just as I was about to leave the rink (along with several others), a torrential downpour began that sent water into the lobby through the front doors within minutes (this has happened before). Some others and I helped the program director move all bags, shoes, etc from the floor to the benches, and she ran off to find the Zam/cashier guy to bring out the wet-vac. As I ran out through some 4 inches of water that had accumulated outside the doors (I had an umbrella but it didn't do a lot), one of the kids (he's about 12 or 13) was on his cell phone asking a parent to pick him up "before a tsunami comes and sweeps me away" - gotta love middle schoolers. :roll: :lol:I would go tell my husband that I'm busy turning the rink into Noah's Ark!!! :twisted:

I thought for a second that you had a coach for putting on makeup! And I was like WHAAAA---??????

Oh a make-up lesson, I get it now...:giveup:LOL!!! Well, my primary coach IS a professional hairdresser too, you know! :twisted:

As for makeup lessons (as in applying makeup to one's face)... that's TaBalie, not my secondary coach!!! :P (Secondary coach RARELY wears makeup...)

Mrs Redboots
06-02-2006, 03:40 AM
3-turns in the field are eeeeeevil!!!!! At least, I think so. I can do them very very small along the blue line across the rink, but I very seldom get enough flow out of the back 3-turns to get back to the line. Once in a blue moon, though, which is encouraging.

We are not really skating this week, apart from our lessons, as we both picked up a dreadful cold that someone was spreading around at the Mountain Cup (I imagine with people on planes from the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Estonia, Russia, Japan and the Czech Republic, Germany AND the UK, and I've probably left out a country or two somewhere along the line, it was inevitable that a few random bugs would be spread round - I've come back from the MC feeling awful before, now I come to think of it, but not for some years). Although we are both on the mend, neither of us feels 100% well.

But I did manage a RFI/RBO double 3 just before my lesson, although I couldn't repeat it in it! Which pleased me. Coach agreed with Xavier's tip to cheat the back 3s by toeing in with the other foot until you really get the feeling, so I'm allowed to do that, and can do some BI/FO double 3s that way. Not yet BO/FI ones, though.

Your 5-step Mohawk sequence isn't something we do here, but we did it as an exercise at the MC and I really like it. Must work on it some more.....