View Full Version : Question about a certain competition

xofivebyfive
06-01-2006, 08:10 PM
2006 Middle Atlantic Championships.. Do you have to be invited, or have won anything to compete in this competition? It's not a regional competition, right? So it's non qualifying? Could someone participate in this as their first competition?

LWalsh
06-01-2006, 08:52 PM
This is a very well attended competition. You do not need to qualify to compete. I don't know how old you are, but I know that since SC of NY starting hosting sectionals they no longer have an adult event at this competition.

xofivebyfive
06-02-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm fifteen in case you wanted to know. :D Thanks for the info.

doubletoe
06-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm fifteen in case you wanted to know. :D Thanks for the info.

You probably need to ask someone at your figure skating club.

CanAmSk8ter
06-06-2006, 01:49 PM
You didn't say what level you are, but AFAIK Middle Atlantic doesn't offer Basic Skill events, and I'm not sure how low the events go. I have a vague recollection that it's only Juvenile and up, but I could easily be thinking of another competition. Also, some bigger competitions use the USFS age limits, i.e. under 13 for Juv and under 18 for Intermediate. You'll want to get a copy of the announcement, either at your club or online, and read it carefully.

xofivebyfive
06-06-2006, 01:56 PM
I'll be taking my prepreliminary tests sometime soon. And I'm pretty sure I'll pass them. And if I don't, I can just try again in July. And the competition also has No-Test- PreJuv.

CanAmSk8ter
06-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Make a note of the date when entries are due- your test status is usually as of this date. I assume you can skate up one level since Mid Atlantics in non-qualifying.

As a coach, I try to let my students know what level of skating to expect at competitions- Mid Atlantics is a big competition with a fairly high level of skating. I usually like to have my students do a much smaller competition if they've never competed before, but as long as you understand that the caliber of skating will be high and that many of the other skaters will have competed several times before, I don't see a problem with it.

xofivebyfive
06-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Alright. Thanks!