View Full Version : Misty or Mellow: Lessons and Practices 1-7 September 2002

Mrs Redboots
09-01-2002, 08:36 AM
Thread title inspired by Keats' infamous "Season of Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness" - it is, after all, September and the rink goes back to term-time timetable tomorrow!

Misty: My Interpretive programme is still awful. I don't care that I've had it a year and got at least one win with it - the technical side of it is appalling! I have changed it round a bit so it doesn't just go round and round the rink like a compulsory dance, but that means that I have to do a couple of hard back pushes into the cross cuts (at our rink, there is a slight but definite slope up to the centre circle) and I get the timing wrong and miss out the cross cuts. Plus I'm barely moving. Oh well. It's as good as I can make it. Why did I enter it for Bordeaux?

Our coaches only had us this morning, so after our couples lesson (which went well - more anon), our male coach watched Robert's singles lesson, and so did I as I need to know what he needs to work on for his test if we are to practice together. Anyway, his Riverside Rhumba was rather awful - nobody had realised that he hadn't actually got the steps quite right, as his coach said, they weren't wrong enough to notice! So rather a steep learning curve for him - thank heavens we don't have a test date yet, as he would not have passed it (but he would have passed his Golden Skaters' Waltz so well that he might just have scraped through on passing average).

Mellow: We actually heard our coach say "That was good" not once, but three times, for all the dances we are working on for next weekend! I don't think they are winnable yet, we probably won't make the cut for the finals (certainly not for the Swing Dance), but we won't look out of place, which is really all I mind about at this stage. If, that is, we skate as well as I know we can.

Our Swing Dance was a bit iffy - I am still far too tentative in the turns and so on. We spent a good five minutes working on the start with me being yelled at by both husband and coach to for heavens sake PUSH into that 3-turn! Actually, when I did, it did make matters easier, but don't tell anybody - I'd hate to lose my reputation as a wimp..... But we had better edges and extension. Trouble was, our timing was off. Oh, if it's not one thing, it's another!

We surprised ourselves by doing the Canasta as well as we've ever done it. Only criticism was that I wasn't pointing my toes.....

Dutch Waltz is far and away our best dance, so we are being really picky with it. We need to finish off our edges better, and I can't sustain three laps of that level of concentration! But it does get better every time we do it.

Now, if only we can dance like that next weekend!

And then Robert did a really good Golden Skaters' Waltz with his coach - I was totally impressed. Except that he rolls his head around all over the place, which he'll have to stop doing if we are going to move up beyond Level 3.....

All the same, it looked good! Even our male coach was impressed. For that man to say "Good" several times in one lesson is unheard-of!

melanieuk
09-02-2002, 07:44 AM
I am not well. :(
I skated for 20 minutes and thought "I can't do this!"
I came home, collected small child, and fell onto couch for 2 hours.
Now the medication has kicked in, but I still feel cold & achey, heavy and shivering, cold one minute, hot the next.
No energy, so better go and lie down again.
8O

TashaKat
09-02-2002, 12:46 PM
((((Mel))))

http://www.snowcrest.net/kitty/hpages/hpic2/devs.gif

Hope you're feeling better soon :)

L x

Mrs Redboots
09-02-2002, 03:57 PM
Are Melanie and I really the only ones to have skated so far this week? I suppose you are having a long weekend in the USA, though, and I expect your rinks are closed.

I nearly didn't go to dance club tonight; Robert rang me up and 5.45, when I should really be leaving, and I was sound asleep, so I said I wouldn't go, but 20 minutes later I was wide awake, so set off, but got there rather late.

Misty: The trouble was, there were only five of us there. And four of us are due to compete in Bordeaux next weekend, so I felt really sorry for the fifth person, a man, who ended up skating solo almost all the time!

Mellow: The ice was lovely! I don't think I skated up to it, though, but some things were good. I managed to get into the right place to do the Swing Dance Mohawk, but it was still a bit rushed. Oh well....

nutty-ducky
09-02-2002, 04:21 PM
I think that everything on Sunday was mellow! yippee!
i ran through my program twice and i kept on thinking, "I am out of time now!" and then when i had finished my coach siad to me that my timing is very good! i was very surprised, but i did screw it up ina few places! d'oh!
i did alot of edge work, forward outside, foward inside, backward inside, and i worked on cross rolls. when i was doing my back inside edges i fell over and nearly pulled my coach down with me! :oops: :D
we also worked alot on fowrad crossovers, and backward crossovers, they are getting stronger and stronger!
oh and i can now do my RFO 3-turn! yippee!

SusanaO
09-02-2002, 05:29 PM
Mellow
I practiced my spins again this weekend and they were much better. My coach had me pull the arms in gradually and then push them up. It was great, it seemed to me like I was spinning for a long time (although it must have been just 7 or 8 revolutions). I looked at the tracings afterwards and they were centered and everything. I actually felt like a real skater for the first time.

Misty
I'm still having trouble with my LFO edge. My coach had someone move the blade and it helped a bit, but I still feel like it slips a bit. I don't know what to do now ...

jenlyon60
09-03-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Are Melanie and I really the only ones to have skated so far this week? I suppose you are having a long weekend in the USA, though, and I expect your rinks are closed.

I haven't skated since PC on Saturday. I took a couple extra days and went to a city about 2 hours south of Atlanta to visit some other friends. No year-round ice rink in Macon GA that I could find... plus my friends' youngest boy has his birthday this week, so we had a pool party for a bunch of boys yesterday... complete with lots of pizza, ice cream cake and Bionicles (some Lego toy that's apparently quite the rage right now)

I shall be back on the ice tomorrow morning...

--jsl

melanieuk
09-03-2002, 08:17 AM
:cry:
Yesterday I lasted 20 minutes on the ice. My legs and back were achy, and I had a burning sore throat.
I came home and had to lie down for the rest of the day, sleeping on and off. I had the sweats and the shivers, my throat felt like glass.

Last night I was sick.

Today I went to doctor and I've got tonsilitis.

I've now got antibiotics but won't be skating at all this week.

Also got mother-in-law and uncle (through marriage) coming for a week. 8O :?

JDC1
09-03-2002, 08:26 AM
Yes, we had a nice long week-end and since I am on the computer at work I try to stay off of it when I am at home. :-)

Misty - still trying ever so hard to spin off the LFO, getting closer and closer but still not there yet. Still catch myself with my weight on my heels, very irritating. My toe loop was sketchy, I think I rushed it a few times. Sunday was so crowded it was almost dangerous to practice jumps.

Mellow - the salchow is slowly but slowly evolving, it's ugly (I haven't seen it but it feels ugly) but I am getting the motion down. I can actually spin 3-4 times on a back spin but I don't really understand what I am doing, I just get into the postion and spin. :-) Still with all my problems with the LFO into a scratch it feels good to be able to get into a spin even if I don't know how I am doing it. The flip is often fully rotated but still landing on two feet. Worked on 3 turns and mohawks and my inside 3's are getting really good.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well Melanie!!

garyc254
09-03-2002, 08:33 AM

All of the rinks in my area were closed for the holiday weekend, so no ice was available. :( Since it was Labor Day weekend, that's all I did: labor. Worked all three days on getting chores off of my job list. Finally collapsed into my chair around 8:00 last evening. I couldn't move from fatigue. I'm glad I'm going back to work to get some rest. :lol:

MEL: Sorry to hear about your tonsilitis. It's a good thing you went to the doctor so quickly and got on the antibiotics. GET WELL SOON!!! The ice misses you.

flo
09-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Hi Mel, hope you're feeling better.

Misty: Tried cammel spin, still pretty weak.

Mellow: Moves are pretty good - my coach was surprised. I started jumping again, and it felt ok. I'm looking forward to club sessions starting this month.
Has anyone received the new 6.0 magazine?

quarkiki2
09-03-2002, 12:42 PM
Hmm... I think someone's sharing germs across the Atlantic -- I'm to be making a visit to the doctor for suspected tonsilitis this afternoon, too. Lovely golf-ball-sized right tonsil has some, um, nasty-looking greeny-yellow spots. So, needless to say, all I managed this weekend was laundry and some dusting. I'm completely worn out just sitting at my desk right now.

So, anyway, get well soon, Mel! And let me know when I'll start feeling better, too!

quarkiki2
09-03-2002, 12:54 PM
Oh, dear hubby and I had out first lessons in Backwards Beta.

Misty: I only managed three back right crossovers. But the were consecutive! I believe I'm leaning too far forward as I'm dragging my toepick and slowing down so far I'm nearly stopped. As with the forward crossovers, they're insisting that there be a clear cross (picking foot up and placing it pinky toe-to-pinky-toe), so I may have difficulty with these, too.

Backwards stroking was OK. Hubby took a HUGE fall doing this -- scared the daylights out of me as his feet slipped forwards and he went nearly horizontal before crashing onto his tush. Fortunately, it was his tush that he landed on and he suffered no ill effects, he wasn't even embarrassed! I did, however, have time in the midst of my concern to make note of the completely shocked look on his face as he went up and realized he was going down. Kinda like Macauley Culkin in Home Alone, except he didn't have his hands to his face.

Mellow: I managed 3 back crossovers. OK on T-stop both sides. Fairly certain that my backwards stroking will pass the test in six more weeks.

We got bored with the endless crossovers, so the instructor showed us a mohawk. I think this was my most misty moment -- absolute panic as I tried to change my weight and direction. She gave us the choice of mohawks or 3 turns and I voted for three turns, but was out-voted 3-1. My FO3s are ok by the boards, but I'm anxious to try them away from the boards. Maybe next week?

Mrs Redboots
09-03-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by quarkiki2
Oh, dear hubby and I had out first lessons in Backwards Beta.

Misty: I only managed three back right crossovers. But the were consecutive! I believe I'm leaning too far forward as I'm dragging my toepick and slowing down so far I'm nearly stopped. As with the forward crossovers, they're insisting that there be a clear cross (picking foot up and placing it pinky toe-to-pinky-toe), so I may have difficulty with these, too. You'll be fine. Try to tuck your inside hip underneath you, and press down towards the ice with your leading hand, to get your weight back over your skates so you don't nod up and down....

1lutz2klutz
09-03-2002, 03:51 PM
For the Labor Day holiday on Monday, our rink had a "Customer Appreciation Day", in which they took away all our AM freestyle sessions. Sort of " We'd Appreciate it if You Didn't Come Day" ! Tried to get up to go to my 6 AM session this morning, but I'm afraid I've joined the Illness of the Day club- nasty stomach virus kept me up all night, and off the ice all day. Maybe we'll all be better next week?

Terri C
09-03-2002, 04:07 PM
We had a "Customer Appreciation Day " also, in the form of both compressors going down, and there being no ice on Saturday or Sunday. There was ice on Monday, apparently but the rink management decided to close the rink at 3pm- never mind that there were freestyles scheduled throughout the afternoon!

Misty:
Had a total klutz day on back and forward crossovers! Stumbled on a toepick on the forward ones, tripped over the blades and fell on the back ones!

Did clean up the end of my freeskate program, though! The ending has better flow!

Get better soon, Mel!

batikat
09-03-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi all,
I had my first lesson for about two months today so my coach decided to concentrate on some basic exercises to break me in gently. Must admit even I was surprised how good my inside 3 turns were today - sometimes a break seems to do me good!

mellow
inside 3's in both directions, mohawks in both directions, forward inside curves.

misty
had a go at the toe loop and salchow again with my son acting as coach. He gave up in exasperation "you're not listening" he insisted as I failed yet again to lift off the toepick before turning. What he doesn't apreciate is that I am listening and i know what i am suppposed to do but it doesn't seem to get through to the appropriate body parts.

For the first time I fell whilst attempting a toe-loop which at least shows I am trying and perhaps if I get used to falling I won't feel too scared to really 'go for it' which is the best way with jumps I think.

Mel:hope you feel better soon
Lynne: hope the wrist is healing
and to anyone else with injuries/sickness - get well soon!

I'm OK at the moment but am busy nursing a very sick rabbit (abandoned by some neighbours). Unfortunately a few days after we rescued him we discovered he had a massive abscess on his head. Numerous vet visits and a small fortune later we have a rabbit with basically no scalp and we have to bathe the remaining thin layer of skin 4 times a day. It's like 'Animal Hospital' here. Hopefully he will recover but it's still touch and go at the moment.

Happy skating!

Mrs Redboots
09-04-2002, 06:48 AM
Woke up horrendously stiff about the shoulders; I think I spent too long at the computer yesterday. I need a new chair!

The rink was absolutely empty this morning; I was literally the only skater on the patch! :( I really hate that! My coach came in rather late for my lesson, which should have started at 9.30, but as most schools have gone back today (not quite all, but nearly), the traffic was apparently horrendous, and he was held up by a lorry that had shed its load on the A21!

However, all this meant I could have a leisurely lesson. I asked him to look at my Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango soloes, to see if it is worth entering the solo dance class at Oxford Seniors next month (Batikat, are you entering, and if so, what classes?). He said I would come at or near the bottom of the heap, but still said I might as well go for it. After nearly a year off solo dance, it's a bit scary.....

Then we ran through my free dance (which I don't mind coming last in, it's going to improve radically over the next couple of years, just you wait and see), and, of course, my Interpretive routine for Sunday.

Nothing dreadful, nothing great. Just an empty rink and me wishing I skated better.....

garyc254
09-04-2002, 09:01 AM
Nothing dreadful, nothing great. Just an empty rink and me wishing I skated better.....

Something we all wish.

wannask8
09-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Okay, so I never post about my practices/lessons because I get very little ice time and am suuuch a beginner and will be forever, but – this was the first week of the fall schedule, and I got the ice to myself instead of sharing with the many talented kids who are there during the intensive summer FS sessions, which meant tons more space and uninterrupted time to work! I had been feeling like I’d hit a wall, but today I finally got back to improving things that have been static for months.

Misty: I am still such a two-footer. Gravity defies me to get onto a LBO edge for more than a second or two, and I am still searching for the RBO (I know it’s around somewhere . . .).

Mellow: FO edges! They are getting consistently better. Back stroking/gliding is still very shaky, but becoming more comfortable. Best of all, working edges in a serpentine pattern along a line improved from really terrible to just kind of bad, yihoo!!

-- wannask8

JDC1
09-04-2002, 01:55 PM
Back edges are tough but they get better the more you practice them. When you get to 3 turns, particularly the outside 3 turns, you'll appreciate the work you've put in and you'll also get a good way to practice your back edges. One thing with all edges but particularly back edges, watch the placement and lean of your body. Make sure your body is lined up correctly that will help your feet do the rest. FOr the first 6 months of my skating my coach(es) were constantly grabbing my arms and moving my shoulders and telling me to look up!! It's a lot to learn but with time you'll get it.

icenut84
09-04-2002, 02:22 PM
First practice for almost a month!! 8O Was expecting to be verrrrry rusty.

Waltz jumps were ok, one imparticular felt very very big! :D Salchow was a bit off and on. Some were fine, but a lot didn't work. Toe loop same as normal - ok, still need to work on getting more of a "jump" in it but I'm getting there.

Worked on the loop and half loop, especially towards the end. I've got my last ever lesson with my coach (who I've had for a year) on Saturday, so I was determined to land the loop before he goes as he's been trying to teach it to me. I was working a lot on the entrance, trying to get the feel of it more (and watching closely a girl who has a big loop and was trying a few double loops). Then I remembered a tip I read on this board a while ago (thanks Lynne! :) Can't remember if it was for me or someone else though, lol), about doing a FI3 into it instead of back crossovers, which is what I had been doing. I tried it with the FI3 and it did feel more comfortable and like I was "getting it", and near the end I landed a bunch of half loops, fully rotated and with a bit of spring and landed properly and everything!! :mrgreen: Almost there on the loop but not quite - point is though, I'm closer than I've been before! WOOHOOOO!!! :)

Inside mohawks good, left better than right (shock horror). Much more comfortable. Left outside mohawk fine, right not so great but only tried it about twice, lol. 3 turns fine in the most part apart from the RBI3, the only one that still disappears on me! Dunno why, because my LBI one is one of the best! I love my LFO-LBI double 3s. 8)

Spins dodgy. Was expecting them to be (but hoping they weren't). Improved slightly when I did it from the back crossovers. I can get that bit fine, and the choctaw, but I just can't make the curve diminish properly to get a "hook". It's better than it was (I didn't travel as far) but still not very good. Hmph. Balance was not fantastic either.

Forward spiral good but not amazing. LBO spiral good I think. Both crossover leans good - one of my most favourite moves. Back crossovers not as good as usual (rusty), forward ones good though. Inside pivots good, especially backward ones!! (Yay! Something that I can say improves every time!! :D )

A girl asked me if I was a professional 8) Don't you love that? ;) Then she asked me if I was in training. Didn't really know what to say - not really, as I'm not training for anything.

Rachel (who is very achey and has been for a few days, don't know why! Especially feet and ankles, lower legs, and back. :( )

garyc254
09-04-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by wannask8
I had been feeling like I’d hit a wall, but today I finally got back to improving things that have been static for months.

Good for you!!!! We all run through times where it feels like we're skating in place. It feels soooooo good when it finally starts progressing again.

Gravity defies me to get onto a LBO edge for more than a second or two, and I am still searching for the RBO (I know it’s around somewhere . . .).

Your RBO's are in that other dimension where you don't exist. :lol: But they'll be back. JDC1 is right. It's the upper body and hip placement that make these work. After a lot of practice it will happen without even thinking about it.

Best of all, working edges in a serpentine pattern along a line improved from really terrible to just kind of bad, yihoo!!

I had a problem doing patterns on the line until I figured out that it was the line's fault. In my lessons, we always used the hockey line at the end of the rink near the boards. I'm afraid of the boards. I now put an imaginary line about 3 feet further down the ice and my edge practice has improved.

Keep up the great work and you won't be a beginner for long!!

batikat
09-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango soloes, to see if it is worth entering the solo dance class at Oxford Seniors next month (Batikat, are you entering, and if so, what classes?).

To answer the above I am planning to enter the solo CD's and the Free Dance. I don't enjoy the compulsories ( because I am not good at them and don't like being told what to do) and haven't practised what with holidays and trying to learn the level 1 jumps but they are a useful warm up for the Free Dance which I do enjoy. It'll be the same one I did at Bracknell as I don't have time to work on anything new. I've had the official photos back from Bracknell and was thrilled to see that I actually looked like I was skating in them. I could see evidence of edges and my spin looked like a spin, with skirt flying :P

(Yes Fiona I will get the Oxford entry in soon)

Good Luck to all those skating in the competition in France this weekend!

I enjoyed my skating today. I was lucky enough to get the chance to skate a little with a partner. We just ran through some of the basic dances and particularly enjoyed the Rhythm Blues as we really felt we got right in time with the music and it flowed beautifully. Also tried the chasse-3 turns for the British Waltz but this is hard and scary!

The coaches are restarting their group lessons after the summer break so I did the group dance class but won't be able to do many more as I will be in college on Wednesdays.

Then I had my lesson.......

Mellow
my consecutive inside 3 turns. These were really good today - even my coach was impressed and they felt really quite easy! Somehow I seemed to have got the knack of hanging onto the back outside edges after the turn long enough to step forward for the next one with ease. Progress at last!

A toe loop - I managed one well enough for my coach to pronounce himself 'happy with that' - though I am sure my son who is very critical of my attempts at jumping probably would not agree!!!

Misty
jumping in general - why is it so difficult? I know the theory and can step through the things but actually taking off and making it a 'jump' instead of a 'step' is really hard - and then you get it - ONCE - and have no idea how to repeat it. Guess like all things in skating it is back to Practice, practice, practice. And why is it that you can tell your arms and legs to do all the right things and then they go ahead and do it all wrong anyway:?

C'est la vie!

Mrs Redboots
09-05-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by batikat
To answer the above I am planning to enter the solo CD's and the Free Dance. Oh bother (I don't really mean that!), you are bound to beat me again!

I don't enjoy the compulsories ( because I am not good at them and don't like being told what to do) and haven't practised what with holidays and trying to learn the level 1 jumps but they are a useful warm up for the Free Dance which I do enjoy. It'll be the same one I did at Bracknell as I don't have time to work on anything new. I've had the official photos back from Bracknell and was thrilled to see that I actually looked like I was skating in them. I could see evidence of edges and my spin looked like a spin, with skirt flying :P Well, go on, post the best one, then! I did, after all, of my free dance. Which is not quite the same as it was in Bracknell, but very similar.

I do enjoy compulsory dances, I love the pickiness of them.

(Yes Fiona I will get the Oxford entry in soon)Extract digit, as the closing date is next Friday! I've got mine all ready to sign and date, which we will do on the train to Bordeaux tomorrow, then I will give it to her tomorrow evening.

Meanwhile, we went to Alexandra Palace last night for the group lesson on the Foxtrot, followed by social dancing. As so many people had already left for Bordeaux, we were a little thin on the ground.

Mellow: Actually did a Foxtrot Mohawk properly! Only one, mind. I was trying to show someone else what she was doing wrong. Learnt that it really is a 90 degree turn, not 180 - you start it facing the boards, and end it facing up or down the rink.

Robert and I did a great Rhythm Blues and a fantastic Golden Skaters Waltz.

Misty: But, of course, those dances aren't wanted until Oxford - by which time they'll probably be ghastly. Meanwhile our Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango and Swing Dance, all of which we need on Saturday, seem to have gone missing - nerves, I expect. If we can only relax.....

Back on Monday. Talk to you then.

flo
09-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Misty: Got picked for the skating clinic with Todd Eldredge in Philly on the 15th! Any others going?

garyc254
09-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by flo
Misty: Got picked for the skating clinic with Todd Eldredge in Philly on the 15th! Any others going?

WAY TO GO, GIRL!!!!!!

Pictures.... you've got to get pictures.

garyc254
09-05-2002, 04:38 PM
Practiced last night for the first time in 1-1/2 weeks.

MISTY and MELLOW: I forgot how to stand up on skates, then remembered to bend my knees, finally got my balance somewhat back, and was doing mohawk sequences before an hour was up. It's always a little scary when you haven't skated for a while. Takes time to warm old muscles up. :lol:

Jerked my upper body while practicing 3-turns and tweaked my already sore shoulder again. I'm back to the ortho on the 17th.

This is my month for doctors:
6th - dentist
10th - general checkup
16th - dermatologist
17th - orthopaedist

They're either going to cure me or kill me.
:lol:

jenlyon60
09-05-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by flo

Me too. Surprised the living daylights out of me. And I don't do FS. I just entered as a lark.

Misty: Back to the European Waltz today.... coach liked my LFO3s in a circle that he had me do. The RFO3s in a circle were plonky. ... Then we did EW to the music and the 1st time we did it it was pretty good (considering I hadn't skated it w/ coach in almost a month). It felt more waltzy than usual.

Coach spent some time talking about the importance of controlling the free leg (other than for looks and style) with reference to using it as a "rudder" of sorts plus the importance of "leaning out of the circle" when on the FO edges in the dance, then gradually adjusting weight as I rise on the knee for the turn so that on the BI, the weight is inside the circle. I think I'm explaining it right. I practiced it at the boards to get the feel of what he was talking about and it felt "right" ... more "right" than how I was skating the dance before.

Mellow:
Lousy ice. Real Lousy ice with too many kids on it. One of our surfaces is down for maintenance, plus one of the other rinks in town is closed for it's annual maintenance. So we had tons of kids on the FS session today.

And... I fell on the LBO-RBO sequence in the EW after the first RFO3. I was trying to keep my hips under me and got my weight too far back on the blades and down I went. Almost took my coach down with me. But scrambled back up and we finished the dance sequence, then did one more.

--jsl

skateflo
09-05-2002, 05:22 PM
Had second lesson with K. now that I am back after 9 months - and had her for a full 45 minutes! True to her word, we covered 3 areas instead of going over what we did last week. Plan is to do 3 weeks with "new" material, then on 4th week, review everything. I really like this new format!

Last night we worked on back alternating crossovers focusing on holding each stroke, extension, and not letting my fanny pooch out. I'm still trying to 'sit-back' (made a very major blade/radius change last year.)

Then we went to power 3's; not quite as successful but by turning my head, extending my free leg back to the axis, it got better.

And finally onto inside 3-turns. As I told her, it takes courage, down-up-down, and thinking about my hips; first is courage! I always get a dry throat when I get ready to push off. I have so much trouble not falling to the inside and I hate it! The 3rd attempt was a perfect inside 3 and the look on K's face was pure amazement. I broke up laughing and said I guesss I needed the 9 months off to which she said "you have a much different attitude now!" And I do...

I was so hyper when I got home from such a fast moving, successful, fun, focused lesson, that I did 2 loads of laundry, and other household duties, and it was hard to calm myself down for bedtime. I am really amazed that so much has come back, not perfect, but not totally gone either. Whew! I think I am skating for the joy of it again and it feels good!

Terri C
09-05-2002, 07:07 PM
Misty:
Ater my lesson with my primary coach today, it looks like I will not be taking the Pre- Bronze moves next month like I was wishing for.:cry: Reasons are actually pretty logical; from the next test session being on the heels of regionals (coaches have students doing both non- qualifying and qualifying) and the fact that I still cannot do any alternating FO3's without putting the foot down!
The ice is totally carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey by the time I skate in the afternoon!
Today I had a Clueless Child get in the way every time I went for something.

Mellow: Solid forward and backscratch spins during lesson today! Still need to work on stretching free leg on sit!
I know this really should be in the Misty , but I FELL TWICE TODAY! One of my biggest criticisms I get from my coaches is that I don't fall enough! Two falls in a session, three for the week- they'd probably be dancing if they knew!:lol:

dbny
09-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Misty
Fifteen year old daughter almost ready to test Juv FS has decided to "take a break". I was hoping she would pass this before we move and she had to start with a new coach. It also would have given her coaching career a boost at a new rink. I'm laying low and hoping she will come back soon. Meanwhile, hubby and I have upped our lessons to 30 min each from 15 so as to hold a place for her when she returns.

Sooo, had first lesson today since early July. I decided that I had to face the FI consecutive three pattern at last. Did it beautifully with just a touch to coach's hand for each turn. Too scared to do it alone. This is the fear bred from last year's broken wrist on a BI edge pattern. I did manage to do a few on my own after the lesson. If I ever want to test either standard track or adult, I will need this pattern.

Mellow
For the first time I did the complete Juv cross stroke pattern! Coach exclaimed "beautiful" on the F ones, and gave me a back slalom exercise to relax me on the B cross strokes. Also have made progress on FO consecutive three pattern. Still put foot down before reaching line, but now I can do them with free leg extended or tucked in close, and the turn itself is looking and feeling very good. I just need to tame the BI edge.

Gary Sorry to hear you tweaked that shoulder again. I hate those heavy duty doctor schedules! Please do not remind me that a trip to the :cry: Dentist :cry: is due :x

jazzpants
09-06-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by flo

You lucky dog!!! Now THERE's someone I would love to get skating pointers from... (especially since he skates CW like me!!!) :P *sigh* (I shouldn't complain. I had Brian Boitano, Linda Leaver and Kathy Casey as my group coaches for 3 days back in July.) :P

Cheers,
jazzpants

flo
09-06-2002, 07:40 AM
:) I'll be sure to bring a camera. It should be a fun day. I have always loved watching Todd skate. He's so elegant, even if it's a simple three turn.

JDC1
09-06-2002, 08:34 AM
How do you do forward alternating outside 3's? Is it really just doing a forward left outside then stepping onto the right and doing the right forward outside 3 or is there something else? We don't do many MIF's in class so I haven't been introducted to this yet.

dbny
09-06-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by JDC1
How do you do forward alternating outside 3's? Is it really just doing a forward left outside then stepping onto the right and doing the right forward outside 3 or is there something else? We don't do many MIF's in class so I haven't been introducted to this yet.

It is that simple, except of course, learning to do them right is not so simple. First, they must be done on an axis, usually one of the lines going across the rink. Four to six lobes are required. The lobes should be shaped evenly, meaning the FO edges and BI edges should be the same size and shape. The three turns should be at the peaks of the lobes. For the adult pre-Bronze pattern, they have just decided to allow the skater to put down the free leg after the turn and do a crossover back to the line. For the pre-Preliminary move, the free leg after the turn must not touch the ice until the step forward. The turns may be done with the free leg held close to the skating foot, or extended.

JDC1
09-06-2002, 12:08 PM
I am so slow, I have done these. I actually did them on a straight line (my coach(es) were cracking up because I do everything the hard way). I didn't put the foot down but as a result sometimes my 3 turn was a little funky and not perfect. I really enjoyed them but I am quite certain my lobes were pretty shallow and wouldn't pass inspection. I 'll keep working on them though so hopefully by this time next year (if I ever get the scratch spin) I can test pre-bronze.

flo
09-06-2002, 01:00 PM
We use to do the alternating threes in edge class a while back. We called them "frog threes" because that's what your legs looked like as you ended one three and put your foot down into the next.
Mellow: went to the lunchtime skate and had a good practice. Double sals and camel-jump camels went well. It's been a while!

kar5162
09-06-2002, 02:17 PM
I've also heard them called Bauer 3s because the transition between 3s puts you in an Ina Bauer position...turnout is not my strong point (I have none), so the step is tough...I made it through the Prelim test with careful turns (if you wait to turn until the top of the circle, it's easier) and knee bend.

Mysterious element...clean 3 turns. It seems that 3 turns just keep getting harder as you improve...for me at least, they never get easy. I could do the (Juvenile) forward double 3s just fine...smooth, clean turns, but somehow my (Intermediate) back double 3s are scrapy again. Why? It's the same turns, just in reverse order...why does my body not understand this?????

Had a lesson today on basics and well, basically I am a sloppy skater :). I also have a hip dropping problem...no matter what I am doing, I drop a hip...despite coach saying during the entrance and the actual turn...lift your hip, lift your hip, lift your hip. I would think it was simply my body refusing to obey directions, but on being told to push towards the barrier for the 3 in the Intermediate slide chasse pattern, I pushed so towards the barrier that I ran into it before actually turning the 3. Hmm :?

On a happier note, my ankle is mostly better and my coach is back from a (long) vacation. So I had my first freestyle lesson in forever today. Surprisingly, things were pretty good. Not great, but 2sal and axel were pretty good...steady enough that I think I will go for the one foot landings again within the week!

Kim

tidesong
09-06-2002, 11:01 PM
Is misty or mellow good or bad? I'm confused.
In any case, could only skate twice this week, most of my jumps were pretty off. My axels were getting themselves landed but in terrible condition. My double salchow has better rotation but I just couldn't get height this week. The wonderful thing is my lutz!!! My coach told me to lean on the left outside edge before take off and it really works to get me on the correct take off edge!!! Its so wonderful!!! After flutzing for ages I finally get to feel the lutz feeling :) I can even do the lutz out of footwork now!!!
The other thing was the scratch spin, the last time my coach told me to bring my free leg in higher but that didn't register somehow, so we worked on it during lesson and now my spins are more centred! and faster too!
And for my layback spin, with the help of a friend I realized that if I thought of it as a upright spin, my entry is a lot better and I centre the spin better and thus get a better layback spin... Its all in the mind ya!
My flying camel is still not flying but at least my spinning in the back camel position is better. I LOVE flying spins and jump spins and whatever they are so fun!!!

TashaKat
09-07-2002, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
First practice for almost a month!! 8O Was expecting to be verrrrry rusty.

I tried it with the FI3 and it did feel more comfortable and like I was "getting it", and near the end I landed a bunch of half loops, fully rotated and with a bit of spring and landed properly and everything!! :mrgreen: Almost there on the loop but not quite - point is though, I'm closer than I've been before! WOOHOOOO!!! :))

Rachel, well done on the loop :) once you get that 'feeling' you'll wonder what on earth the problem was!

I'm not looking forward to relearning to jump AT ALL .... especially the Lutz which had gone off a bit anyway due to lack of attention :( I'm convinced that I'll be back to square one on that :( .... and it was soooo beautiful for a while!

You WILL feel achey if you've been off for a month. seeing my arm the other day I was shocked at how quickly your muscles waste! Take your time getting your fitness and your strength back and you'll be fine in a few weeks time :D

L x

Yazmeen
09-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Not much to report: Still waiting for my new boots and blades, and still feeling every flaw in my old ones!!! :?

Worked on waltz and half flip in lesson this week--we're kind of staying away from field moves until the new skates come in (no use busting my hump on technique on those at this point in too big, broken down skates). Got arms better with both--she even had me trying half flip from stroking 8O --ooh, the first few attempts at that were hysterical, but its coming.

Just "played" today at the last summer Saturday at Wintersport. Sigh--I will miss these Saturday morning skates, its such a great rink but Mercer (semi-outdoor) will start up in about a month, which is good. I've experimented with not lacing the last hook on my right boot to get more knee bend- sort of "Klingbeil prep" :lol: since those boots will be cut lower. It DEFINITELY helps my crossover, especially the ROE with the LF cross. Can't do it with the left boot, though, foot completely slips. AAUUUGH--I can't wait to get my new boots and blades!!!! :o

Lynne: Keep up that healing, girlfriend!!!

Mel: Take it easy and FEEL BETTER!!!

Hugs to all,

Beth

Elsy2
09-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Misty: It's been a horrible summer for skating mostly due to a total lack of motivation on my part, and another back injury for my daughter who has been off the ice for 4 weeks.

Mellow: Things may be turning around....daughter seems to be ready to skate again, although regionals are out of the picture. I was intent on doing something new today....anything! I eeked out a camel/sit - twice! Very happy that I could accomplish something. Even better, my coach taught my dance partner the Fiesta Tango, and we did it for the first time together today. Coach says it wasn't bad....and I take that as a high compliment. She then taught us the 14-step seperately...we have yet to put that one together, as it will certainly take some work to get that pattern larger and do a decent LFO mohawk with any degree of control :roll: But I actually left the ice happy, and that hasn't happened in a long time :D

Misty: That end pattern on the Fiesta Tango almost killed me last week...as I hit the tail of my blade and went flying landing on my back...was sore for days!

Anita18
09-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Misty:
First time skating in over a week, and when I first stepped on the ice, I felt so unstable. Since it was also a totally different rink, the ice also felt harder. Aaaaaah...luckily as the session passed, I got my skating legs underneath me again.
Spins were so-so. Had two good backspins, two good sitspins (though I can't rise up to finish the spin - having issues with weight transfer..), and two good forward scratch spins. Camel spin has totally gone, but like I had it in the first place..
Flip. Ewwwwwwww...must get the feel of this again.
Salchow. See above..
Waltz jump. Sometimes I'll get it, and sometimes....
Lutz. Wahhhhhhhh....8O
Mellow
Loop is still somewhat there. Yay..
For some reason, I was having a good toe-loop day. Strange...
Anita