View Full Version : Summertime condensation bumps

Terri C
05-31-2006, 07:47 PM
It's summertime and it means that several of us may have to put up with consdensation bumps forming on the ice! What do you do to get a productive practice session in, yet avoid killing yourself when you hit one of these?

jazzpants
05-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Go to another rink??? :halo:

icedancer2
05-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Go to another rink??? :halo:

Or come to my rink where we have those bumps year-round!!!

You learn to instinctively avoid them and are just happy you have ice to skate on in the summer!!!

mikawendy
05-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Sometimes I hack at them with my blade a little so they don't stand up so much above the surface of the ice. That mostly only works if other people on the session are doing the same, otherwise there are too many for one person to tackle.

I find they trip me up most when I'm just gliding forward on two feet, such as if I'm adjusting my hair--suddenly then I have a *toepick* moment as one or both feet hit! :twisted:

dbny
05-31-2006, 09:47 PM
Sometimes I hack at them with my blade a little so they don't stand up so much above the surface of the ice. That mostly only works if other people on the session are doing the same, otherwise there are too many for one person to tackle.

I find they trip me up most when I'm just gliding forward on two feet, such as if I'm adjusting my hair--suddenly then I have a *toepick* moment as one or both feet hit! :twisted:

We often have them in the same places, and there are several of us who shave them down. I go after the ones that I know are going to be in my path on moves patterns.

Yes, they are horrible to hit when skating forward, especially on two feet. Not so bad backwards, more like hitting a speed bump a little too fast.

beachbabe
05-31-2006, 10:12 PM
It's summertime and it means that several of us may have to put up with consdensation bumps forming on the ice! What do you do to get a productive practice session in, yet avoid killing yourself when you hit one of these?

what kind of a rink do you skate at? is it outdoors?

That sounds like they are too cheap to maintain the ice lol:lol:

Sk8pdx
05-31-2006, 10:44 PM
My rink has these nasty little moguls:twisted: too during the summer. They are mostly on the ends of the rink though so I stay towards the middle during practice. I am not so sure that Ice maintenance is the fix. I wonder if it is how the whole building is constructed. I have even had occasions where these drops of condensation have fallen on my head. :?? is it raining in here????

TimDavidSkate
05-31-2006, 10:48 PM
Funny, I just experienced that this Monday. I inspected while I skated for the first 45 minutes. Thankfully all I got was jolts not trips or slides. I had to cut out my edges exercise and went right into jumping. I did one single of each at the good side of the rink, and I didnt even try spinning. Choreography practice is out of the question 8O

Black Sheep
05-31-2006, 11:07 PM
....gets "Swiss cheese" holes and fog in the summer. :roll:

SkatingOnClouds
06-01-2006, 03:31 AM
Yeah we get them too, and if it rains, we get rain bumps. Our rink has an axe head attached to a pole. I go grab that, then chip & scrape away the worst of them.

One rink I skated at years ago used to get lines of them under the overhead girders. Not big, but damned annoying. Even worse though were th chips of paint and rust that came down with them and got embedded in the ice. They caused real accidents.

NickiT
06-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Eeek...we only got these once but it was terrible. Definitely not condusive to getting a good bit of practice in, that's for sure.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
06-01-2006, 05:43 AM
We get them a lot; if you're early on the ice you get the scraper and deal with them - by the time the session's been going for about 30 minutes, it's no longer a problem!

Clarice
06-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Ugh! We get 'em, too, but it hasn't started yet for this summer. We're trying to train the rink crew to zam the ice just before the afternoon freestyle instead of just after the last morning session. If they let the bumps build up all afternoon, it's just dreadful when we go out there.

Rusty Blades
06-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Here on the Candian prairies we get them in the spring time when the sun gets warm and starts warming the roof of the rink. I don't mind the Drip Mountains as much as the huge sheets of ice or frost that fall from the roof and hit the ice with a great SPLAT or roar. I felt sorry for the girls who were testing last spring while that was going on. Fortunately none of them got beaned during the test.

Rusty Blades
06-01-2006, 07:33 AM
. . you get the scraper and deal with them . . .

The ones I am thinking of are so large and hard that they make the Zamboni strain!

Hannah
06-01-2006, 09:43 AM
We have them too, but apparently because only one of the four de-humidifiers works, and that one is on its last leg. Skating director mentioned new de-humidifiers...

techskater
06-01-2006, 07:47 PM
We get them when it's very hot and very humid (it doesn't help when they turn off the de-humidifier to melt the other side). You practice what you can around them. Usually the congregate in certain areas.

Terri C
06-02-2006, 06:33 PM
During my lesson with my Primary Coach today, she told me that the compressors are not working in the rink we skate in, resulting in the bumps.
Problem is, rink owner is out of town and skating director's daughter is graduating this weekend, but the issue will be dealt with next week.

kittie067
06-03-2006, 11:35 AM
My rink has these nasty little moguls:twisted: too during the summer. They are mostly on the ends of the rink though so I stay towards the middle during practice. I am not so sure that Ice maintenance is the fix. I wonder if it is how the whole building is constructed. I have even had occasions where these drops of condensation have fallen on my head. :?? is it raining in here????

The raining thing happens to us too!

The bumps arent too bad at our rink, you just learn to be careful around the edges of the rink, and luckily, we get clean ice pretty often.

Kittie

cassarilda
06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
De-humidifers!! I wish my rink had those!

As a result, living in Australia (even Melbourne where its cold most of the time), we are constantly living with bumps... some early session skaters in some rinks will grab the shovelly things and skate around scraping them off before the session...

Here, I just have to ensure I dont try to do a 3turn or anything interesting over the top of one :frus:

singerskates
06-03-2006, 11:43 PM

I just about killed myself trying to avoid one of these lovely bumps. Yeah, right not lovely at all. Anyway, I was executing a change edge forword spiral when I noticed the bump and chose the wrong way to try to avoid it. I should have leaned in more on my skating edge to go around it instead of trying to do a sudden change and then catching it and my toe pick.

Everyone yell Timber!

Down I went like a tree chopped down at the base of its trunk. I bruised my knees a bit and my forearms along with a few ice burn scraps but worst of all, I hit my left shoulder/rotator cuff. It hurt real bad so I called up my chiroprator/physiotherapist and made an appointment right from the side of the rink with my cell phone. Then I went back out there and did the spiral again to get back on the horse for later (making sure I have no fear later on) and did it without a hitch except I didn't get my freeleg up as high as the first time before the toe pick caught the ice and I finished it a lump of pain. After that I got off of the ice and went straight to a medical clinic to get an x-ray of my shoulder.

All this happened on Monday May 29, 2006. June 1st I was back on the ice not jump, spinning using only one arm (not easy to be centered like this) and doing ice dance. I will see how I feel about jumping on Sunday (tomorrow). Right now I'd say it's a possibility of jumping if I don't feel pain with my off ice waltz jump arm movements. If I do, I'll just do spinning, footwork, spirals and other field movements and ice dance. I'll have to walk through my programs when the jumps come up if I can't do the arm movements with out pain on Sunday.

Funny how it takes a good accident to make the rink attendants fix the problem. Now if we could only get them not to shut off the music before our skating sessions are done?

singerskates

Terri C
06-04-2006, 02:47 PM
I just about killed myself trying to avoid one of these lovely bumps. Yeah, right not lovely at all. Anyway, I was executing a change edge forword spiral when I noticed the bump and chose the wrong way to try to avoid it. I should have leaned in more on my skating edge to go around it instead of trying to do a sudden change and then catching it and my toe pick.

Down I went like a tree chopped down at the base of its trunk. I bruised my knees a bit and my forearms along with a few ice burn scraps but worst of all, I hit my left shoulder/rotator cuff. It hurt real bad so I called up my chiroprator/physiotherapist and made an appointment right from the side of the rink with my cell phone. Then I went back out there and did the spiral again to get back on the horse for later (making sure I have no fear later on) and did it without a hitch except I didn't get my freeleg up as high as the first time before the toe pick caught the ice and I finished it a lump of pain. After that I got off of the ice and went straight to a medical clinic to get an x-ray of my shoulder.

Funny how it takes a good accident to make the rink attendants fix the problem.

I, too, wrenched my shoulder last summer when I hit a huge bump while in the midst of a fast scratch spin. I also bruised both elbows and knees and my abs were sore the next day! That's why I'm after rink management ( or will be this week) to get the condensers fixed! I have warned them that it's a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt.