View Full Version : How realistic is it for a new adult skater to attain a high level?

newskaker5
05-31-2006, 07:16 PM
I am wondering how realistic it is for an adult skater to reach a high level in skating. I know some here who have seem to have been child skaters. I am 25 and started about 3 months ago and have complete ISI pre-alpha thru delta and am starting to work on freestyle one moves right now. I would very much like to one day be able to reach the adult gold level, learn axels, and land some double jumps (maybe even a triple!). How realistic is it for someone my age just starting to reach a level of say an interm or novice skater?

Has anyone here done that? How long did it take you?

xofivebyfive
05-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Good for you! I would assume you have as good a chance as the younger skaters to advance to those levels. Although it's probably much harder for an adult to learn double and triple jumps than the little ones. I've been skating for three months too and I'm working on my PrePre moves in the field already. I'm fifteen, so I'm kind of in between the young and "older" age.. ha :lol: Good luck in the future.

Casey
05-31-2006, 07:25 PM
The only limit is yourself. You can get as high-level as you have the motivation and patience and physical ability for.

Yeah, it's going to take effort. Yeah, you might learn slower than a little kid (or not, everybody's different I think). But that doesn't mean you can't do it. The most important thing is having patience and not losing motivation. If that starts to happen, then take a few months off and then come back...it worked wonders for me.

Best of luck.

techskater
05-31-2006, 07:43 PM
It depends on your background in other sports, your mental acuity, and a variety of other things. I personally believe everyone can learn an Axel.

mikawendy
05-31-2006, 08:47 PM
How realistic is it for someone my age just starting to reach a level of say an interm or novice skater?

Ask coskater64 for some information about her experiences skating. (coskater64, IIRC, your FS test level means you've landed double-doubles, right? ;) )

doubletoe
05-31-2006, 09:22 PM
I took my first lesson at 27, skated 5 years in group classes without even testing or putting together a program, then took 5 years off before coming back 4 years ago at 37. That year, I put together my first program, passed my Bronze tests and landed my first axel, and the next year I passed my Silver tests. The following year (last year) I won Adult Nationals at Silver in my age class, then passed my Gold tests by the end of the year. Two months ago, at 41, I landed my first clean double salchow in competition, and within the next year I hope to land my first double toeloop in competition. You're just 25, and already focused on testing and competing, so just imagine how much more you could do! Go for it! :D

dbny
05-31-2006, 09:41 PM
I personally believe everyone can learn an Axel.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I really do not believe that everyone can learn an Axel. I've seen a lot of kids get that far, and continue to progress with moves, but never get the Axel or doubles. It takes a certain degree of guts to go for it, and not everyone has that. I don't in any way mean to say that those who don't have it are lacking anything significant, but just like some of us prefer never to dive off a high board, or even to dive rather than jump into the water, there are skaters who surely have the ability to land Axels, but do not have the desire needed to overcome the risk involved.

beachbabe
05-31-2006, 10:09 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I really do not believe that everyone can learn an Axel. I've seen a lot of kids get that far, and continue to progress with moves, but never get the Axel or doubles. It takes a certain degree of guts to go for it, and not everyone has that. I don't in any way mean to say that those who don't have it are lacking anything significant, but just like some of us prefer never to dive off a high board, or even to dive rather than jump into the water, there are skaters who surely have the ability to land Axels, but do not have the desire needed to overcome the risk involved.

everything in skating is a risk. Doing your first waltz jump is a risk. Any other jump is a risk. People just get so freaked out about it b/c people make such a big deal about the axel. Its become a milestone in skating b/c it is your first step towards doubles, but really its not that big of a deal.

If you prepare for the jump off ice and work on it alot, and then try it in a harness, then if you're still scared you try it with pads. But really, if you have the technique correct the worst that will happen is you'll fall on your butt or your side or something and have a mean looking bruise for a week.

Its a leap of faith. The first time I tried it I was scared to death and my heart was pumping. I didnt rotate enough and fell on my side. Yes it hurt-a week later I tried again. The more i fell the less scared I was. I practiced it on the trampoline untill I knew it like the back of my hand. It took me 2 months to land it. Now a year later I can do axel after axel after axel and no problems. Once you're over the fear, i dont even have to think about it, just comes from muscle memory.

I believe that if its within your physical limits, there is no excuse for not going for it.

TashaKat
05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Completely realistic if you're committed to your goals and are physically able. I do agree with dbny that the axel is a sticking point for many people (kids and adults alike). I found it much harder than the double jumps which, apparently, isn't a rare occurence!

I also agree with beachbabe that *too much* is made of the axel. I landed the 2flip when I was going for the 2toe and got myself mixed up (I often did that as I found the flip easier than the toe). The axel is a big milestone in skating and I have to wonder if it wasn't treated with such awe whether more people would get it or at least find it easier?

I started at the age of 32 and was working on axel, had landed a 2flip (once, a fluke) and was working on all doubles up to and including lutz. My 2loop was the nearest (strange being that I am). I had also passed the UK Bronze (when Bronze meant Bronze) Compulsories and was almost ready to test UK Inter Silver Compulsories. Unfortunately a broken wrist and fate conspired against me and I stopped skating (though I never say gave up :) ).

I do want to skate again some day but barely have time to sleep at the moment with my schizophrenic lifestyle and ned :(

Mercedeslove
06-01-2006, 12:25 AM
This all gives me hope. I too am working on freestyle one. I can do a few other moves that are past it. Like a sit spin. It's not clean at all, but at least when I get to my sit spin I hav an idea of what to do....just have to clean it up. Same with my slachow....which I've been working on. Not a lot, but I'm getting to it.

Good luck to you newskater. :-)

SkatingOnClouds
06-01-2006, 03:39 AM
I started skating and taking lessons age 22, I think. I did reach the stage of working on preparation for axels and doubles. At age 46, after a 20 year break I am back, and regaining elements

I have hopes of landing axels and doubles, one day. Right now a hamstring injury has put me off ice for probably 2-3 weeks, but you can bet I'll be back and jumping again.

At your age, you can achieve these things. You have to want it, you have to be prepared to do the boring work, and you have to be prepared to take risks, fall over, get injured.

Never stop believing

NickiT
06-01-2006, 04:17 AM
I also agree with beachbabe that *too much* is made of the axel.

I agree but I think, at least for us here in the UK, the problem is that you need an axel to pass level 4. I'm no where near landing an axel. My old coach had me working for it but she left a year ago and my new coach has done no axel work with me. After the Opens in June I will make a point of asking for her help with this. The thing is I intend to take my level 3 later this year, and if I pass that, I know that realistically that's as far as I'll go on the test front. Generally coaches don't teach past the axel until you are landing it clean.

Nicki

flo
06-01-2006, 08:41 AM
As others have comented, it's possible, depending on many variables, so it's also likely that it may not happen. One thing for certain is it's very realistic to reach a high level of enjoyment.

Paulie86
06-01-2006, 09:22 AM
The only limit is yourself. You can get as high-level as you have the motivation and patience and physical ability for.

Yeah, it's going to take effort. Yeah, you might learn slower than a little kid (or not, everybody's different I think). But that doesn't mean you can't do it. The most important thing is having patience and not losing motivation. If that starts to happen, then take a few months off and then come back...it worked wonders for me.

Best of luck.

I totally agree. Go out there and enjoy yourself. Push yourself to go faster or higher. If you want it, strive for it and you'll get there in your own time. And once that flare,your motivation starts to dwindle, take time off untill you feel ready again. I took close to two years off, and have never felt more passionate about my skating! You're never too old to do something you love!

Isk8NYC
06-01-2006, 11:57 AM
It depends on your background in other sports, your mental acuity, and a variety of other things. I personally believe everyone can learn an Axel.Mental acuity - good word! I think everyone can learn whatever they want to, however not everyone in skating WANTS to learn an axel. As DBNY points out, confidence and "guts" is essential and some skaters need the right encouragement to go for it!

LauraLa
06-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Everyone goes at their own pace, that's for sure. I started skating at 41, have been skating for 3 1/2 months now, and still can't skate forward crossovers in both directions. I'm just terrified of the damn things. I know that if I keep plugging away with it I'll get it, but for now I'm planning on bowing out of my ISI-Alpha test next week because I can only sort of do them in one direction. Funny thing is, I can skate Swing Rolls easily, and glide quite well on either edge on either foot in the forward direction, but when it comes to crossing one foot over the other I just cannot do it.

Seems to me that if someone doesn't get hung up on mental stuff like this, doesn't let their own fear and discomfort get in the way, then they can go quite far as an adult skater!!

manleywoman
06-01-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I really do not believe that everyone can learn an Axel.
And I'm living proof that one can do through many other jumps gorgeous and textbook, and have an axel that is probably the most treacherous looking thing ever. I land it and it's clean, but it ain't pretty.

Axels are not for everyone. And since it's not required in adult competition, I think it's fine to be skipped by some. Frankly as soon as I get my 2lutz consistant, the axel is leaving my program and being substituted for a jump I do well, and that counts for more points anyway.

Debbie S
06-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Seems to me that if someone doesn't get hung up on mental stuff like this, doesn't let their own fear and discomfort get in the way, then they can go quite far as an adult skater!!Well, that's true to an extent, but ability and physical condition/strength also have something to do with it. Generally, it's very hard for adults to learn the jumps and spins b/c unless they skated as kids (or did similar activities like gymnastics or dance) it's hard to get their balance, timing, and coordination right. Most (I know there are exceptions) adults who do axels and doubles started skating as kids (or have a gymnastics or dance background). Adult-onset skaters who do learn these jumps need much more time to learn them than the kids do.

I will admit that part of my problem/block with jumps is mental, but having not done much in the way of sports as a child, my athletic ability (or lack thereof) holds me back too. I find that I don't have a lot of "spring" when I jump - and I noticed this in off-ice jump class as well as on the ice.

emma
06-01-2006, 01:57 PM
You can do it. I also skated as a child and came back 30 years later. I have been skating again for two years and decided a year ago to get serious about testing. I am almost through the whole adult testing passing gold moves in March and i will be testing adult gold fs this summer as well as swiching over to the standard track to test int. moves. I plan on going through the standard track testing all my moves. Although i do not think i will continue with fs as i have no desire to put my body through getting all my doubles and more back. But i did get back all my singles and some doubles which are clean and tech. correct. Next i will go back and test the rest of my dances as i did that as a kid as well. Age is not a factor you can do this with practice!!!!

dbny
06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Age is not a factor you can do this with practice!!!!

Boy do I ever disagree with that, from my vantage point of 59 years!!!

Age is very definitely a factor at every stage of skating or of any other athletic endeavor, for that matter. the degree to which age will affect any given individual, is just that - individual. I will never jump because my hips and knees cannot take it. I have to wear knee pads because I beat up my knees so much as a roller dancer in my youth. Every spill requires days, if not weeks of recovery, and carries a much greater risk of serious injury than for a younger person. Teenagers can take months off and come back with no loss of skills. Older adults can lose a lot with even a few weeks off. The more you learn at a younger age, the better off you will be as you grow older. Youth is simply an advantage that we each get once, after that, we have to make do with increased risks, longer learning curves, and more loss of skills from layoffs.

newskaker5 - I don't know anything about your athletic background, but judging by the fact that you are working on FS1 in only three months, and that you are only 25, I think you have an excellent chance of achieving your skating goals. If you are generally athletic and not easily put off by falls and speed, have the time and money to dedicate to figure skating then you are going to fly one day!

NickB
06-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Axels are not for everyone. And since it's not required in adult competition, I think it's fine to be skipped by some. Frankly as soon as I get my 2lutz consistant, the axel is leaving my program and being substituted for a jump I do well, and that counts for more points anyway.

What level are you? At the Masters level (as well as all standard track levels juvenile and above) an axel type jump is required, but I just checked the report from Governing Council and it isn't at the gold level and below. If it was they'd probably have to allow a waltz jump to be counted as an axel type jump (which I guess it could be anyway if it was called as an "A" under COP, which gets no value but still takes up a "box").

Rusty Blades
06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Generally, it's very hard for adults to learn the jumps and spins b/c unless they skated as kids . . . Adult-onset skaters who do learn these jumps need much more time to learn them than the kids do.

Well I hope you are right! I had a fine collection of jumps when I was 18 (36 years ago) but I don't know if I will be able to do any jumps now. I wrecked my knees in a fall when I was 19 and didn't skate again until January this year. Jumps will be the LAST things I attempt to re-learn because I don't know if my knees will hold up to landing jumps and I don't want to have to hang up the skates again (because, if I have to hang them up now, at 56, I probably couldn't come back.)!

e-skater
06-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Well, that's true to an extent, but ability and physical condition/strength also have something to do with it. Generally, it's very hard for adults to learn the jumps and spins b/c unless they skated as kids (or did similar activities like gymnastics or dance) it's hard to get their balance, timing, and coordination right. Most (I know there are exceptions) adults who do axels and doubles started skating as kids (or have a gymnastics or dance background). Adult-onset skaters who do learn these jumps need much more time to learn them than the kids do.

I will admit that part of my problem/block with jumps is mental, but having not done much in the way of sports as a child, my athletic ability (or lack thereof) holds me back too. I find that I don't have a lot of "spring" when I jump - and I noticed this in off-ice jump class as well as on the ice.

Debbie, I agree with you! Certainly some of these adult onset problems with jumps are neither due to lack of desire nor inability to "set one's mind to it." Though I, too, think there is a psych component..........hmmmm, could it be fear?:roll:

I had no athletic background from my childhood, other than hiking and riding a bike. As an adult, I did ski for about 16 years, and I took two years of "recreational" ballet (which was not pretty, as I am fairly klutzy LOL!!!!). However, I did not find that much in skiing translated to figure skating --- at all. And I've forgotten what little ballet I learned. I had a lot more guts in skiing that I do in skating! In fact, I often think of some of the things I did in skiing -- they were not only more dangerous than skating, but much more difficult, truly! Go figure!

I started skating at 48. It seems I am a slow learner, also lacking in significant "spring", though that is incrementally improving. On the other hand, I never thought I'd being doing what I'm doing now in skating! Not a lot really, compared to adults who compete technically, but still a lot more than I thought I'd learn when I started group lessons.

Just my opinion, but for me, it seems it's a struggle just to get some muscle memory in jumps beyond the loop. I'm fiddling with a flip and lutz now, but they aren't "real jumps" yet. I can't even imagine an axel. In just a few months I'll be 55. I'm not prepared to take the falls (though I've fallen plenty on other stuff) which seem necessary to learn an Axel. For me, it seems insurmountable, mentally, right now. Yep, that psych component again. BOK, BA-GOK, BOK BOK!!!!!! :lol: Actually, if anything, I'd rather try to learn double jumps than a single Axel!

emma
06-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Okay let me restate that age is not a factor. For me i am lucky to be healthy and with out any issues that would stop me from skating . I have had lots of bad falls as a kid and as an adult at either stage of life i did not have to take any time off except as a kid when i seemed to always get stabbed by peoples skate blades. Yes it hurts ,yes i was bruised but never to the point of needing to stop and take time off. I skated at a fairly high level as a kid so maybe that has helped me. So i count my blessings that i as a 51 year old can go out and become a fairly high level skater with the understanding that every adult may not be able to do that.

manleywoman
06-01-2006, 04:56 PM
What level are you? At the Masters level (as well as all standard track levels juvenile and above) an axel type jump is required, but I just checked the report from Governing Council and it isn't at the gold level and below. If it was they'd probably have to allow a waltz jump to be counted as an axel type jump (which I guess it could be anyway if it was called as an "A" under COP, which gets no value but still takes up a "box").
I'm Masters. I don't remember that an axel was an absolute requirement. But I've always put one in my programs. I'll have to check the rules, because I'd love to leave it out!

Csk8er
06-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi Manleywoman-
For all Masters levels, an axel type jump & combination/jump sequence are now required (as part of the maximum 7 jump elements) under the new well balanced program requirements just passed at Governing Council.

Thin-Ice
06-02-2006, 03:02 AM

I thought an axel was required to pass the US Adult Gold test. But maybe I'm wrong???

Mrs Redboots
06-02-2006, 03:46 AM
Boy do I ever disagree with that, from my vantage point of 59 years!!!

Yes and no - I am not sure I agree with you! It can be an issue, certainly - but I would never have managed many jumps even if I'd started skating as a 6-year-old, so I don't expect to do them now I'm in my 50s. At least I understand more about how my body works now!

And I do know skaters in their 40s and 50s who are working on their axels, if not landing them consistently. One friend is a lot nearer your end of the decade than mine, but she is working on her axel. She did skate as a youngster, but not to that level!

So it isn't just age.

emma
06-02-2006, 09:55 AM
I thought an axel was required to pass the US Adult Gold test. But maybe I'm wrong???
An axel is required in adult gold

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2006, 11:01 AM
My skating as a child amounts to about 20 times. I skipped gym in school and only did some horseback riding and barrel racing.... bike riding and stuff. No ballet or dance. Very klutzy as a kid.

So, I'm 44 years old and have been skating for 4 years now. I'm still trying to get all my single jumps and fixing a few of them (bad technique). I have a beginner camel and the start of a sit spin.

That being said, the best thing my coach said to me at the end of the season was that when we hit the ice again in the fall.....if I work hard enough and want it bad enough I might have a double salchow by the end of next season! But, she said I'd have but really bust my behind for it!

I think that's pretty cool. But she also said she won't work on it until I get my flip and lutz first....:frus: (nothing like a little incentive, eh?)

doubletoe
06-02-2006, 12:19 PM

As another poster already mentioned, the axel is a requirement for the Adult Gold freestyle test. However, no "axel type jump" is required in actual Adult Gold competition, or any of the lower level adult programs. We don't have any "required elements" since we don't skate a "short program." The only requirements are those listed in our balanced program rules (i.e., minimum of one jump combination or sequence and a maximum of three; exactly one step or spiral sequence, etc.)

rf3ray
06-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi newskater5, I have been skating for 18months and started skating when I was 27. I reckon you can achieve anything on how bad you want it. Currently I am learning to do axels on ice. That being said I skate 7 - 9 times a week and and have lessons twice a week. And remember skating is all about falling :-) so have fun

I am wondering how realistic it is for an adult skater to reach a high level in skating. I know some here who have seem to have been child skaters. I am 25 and started about 3 months ago and have complete ISI pre-alpha thru delta and am starting to work on freestyle one moves right now. I would very much like to one day be able to reach the adult gold level, learn axels, and land some double jumps (maybe even a triple!). How realistic is it for someone my age just starting to reach a level of say an interm or novice skater?

techskater
06-02-2006, 05:15 PM

It's required to pass the test but not required to compete with at the Gold level. Manleywoman was hoping to leave it out of her competitive program.

vesperholly
06-03-2006, 04:04 AM
For the test, yes. I don't think you "have" to do one in your program but in order to meet well-balanced program standards you should.

Now that I think about it ... Does anyone know if there is an actual deduction if you don't specifically meet the well-balanced program standard?

techskater
06-03-2006, 05:17 AM
Yes, there are deductions. I believe under 6.0 it's a 0.1 per mark (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if the judges choose to take it. I think in IJS it's treated as a fall (-1) off the total mark.

cassarilda
06-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Im all for going as far as you want and mentally are able to ... the minds the first hurdle after all...

Besides, it means that if you succeed then I have more of a chance as well :lol: (22yo, started in Feb, but am not allowed to skate again until next year - hopefully earlier depending on how my treatment goes ;) - and I got 3-turns within a few weeks, and choctaws within 2 months)

BatikatII
06-05-2006, 07:10 AM
With the right amount of determination I would think it's very possible to get as far as an axel and some doubles at the least, as you are still relatively young. Triples may be a different matter as not all the kids can manage triples (that is very dependant on your natural ability and athleticism) A skater at my rink started later than that and now has an axel and is working on doubles. She didn't skate very seriously at the beginning so it hasn't been quick (10 years maybe) but she has got there.

I started at 37 and didn't believe I'd ever be able to jump so started doing dance. I got bored with the compulsories (so tedious to me) although I loved doing free dances (this is solo) and everyone told me I skated like a free skater anyway (too klutzy for dance maybe) so eventually decided to give jumps a go. This was when I was past the age of 40 with a dodgy back (history of slipped disk and sacro-illiac joint problems) and dodgy knee (old skiing accident). A few years down the line I have my single jumps up to but not yet including the Lutz and can see the possibility of working on an axel even if I never manage to land one. I'm not particularly athletic (also slightly overweight) and did not do gym or ballet or roller blading as a kid (all things that in my experience really help with skating). I skated once at the age of 14 on a disco session and then not again til I was about 35!

Skating is very much a mental game - you do have to believe you can do it. I'm trying to persuade myself I can do the Lutz:lol:

Even if you never get your doubles you can have a lot of fun in adult competitions (it is unlikely starting at your age that you'd ever be competitive at the Senior level and the lower levels are age restricted usually). I'm in the UK and won a bronze medal (at level 2 and under - no axels allowed) in last years British Adult Championships and that was only my third ever Freeskating competition and first freeskating championships. It may not mean a lot in the grand scheme of things but it was a real thrill for me!

Enjoy your skating!

skaternum
06-05-2006, 11:33 AM
You can go as far as you are able, given the limitations of:

your athleticism and physical abilities
your mental toughness
amount of time you can spend on the ice

All are equally important, in my opinion. One of the things that tends to make adults progress slower and hit various brick walls (in terms of skills attainable) is time on the ice. We have lives and jobs and responsibilities which all tend to interfere with ice time. Most kid skaters I know spend about twice the amount of time on the ice as the adult skaters. Also, let's face it, we heal slower. So when we're off the ice for an injury or health problem, we're off longer than the kids too.

Getting old sucks, now that I think about it! ;)