View Full Version : figure skating...sport or recreation

KiZa_32
05-31-2006, 02:40 AM
ok i need help here guys.....me n my bro were having a fight about figure skating and he was saying that figure skating is a recreation but i say it's an actuall sport so what do u all think?

Casey
05-31-2006, 04:00 AM
It's most definitely a sport, and recognized internationally as one (for example, see the Olympics).

You can skate recreationally, to be sure, but I'd call that "recreational skating" explicitely. You can also recreationally play football, basketball, or any other sport - that doesn't make them any less of sports.

Rusty Blades
05-31-2006, 04:34 AM
Of course it depends on how you define a "sport". If you define a sport by "higher, faster, farther" etc., then no it wouldn't be. It IS an athletic activity, like gymnastics, that includes elements of artistry and dance.

VegasGirl
05-31-2006, 07:13 AM
If you define a sport by "higher, faster, farther" etc., then no it wouldn't be.

Why not?
Even with that definition of sport it certainly is a sport... just look at the changes over the years... for example, how many triple jumps did Katarina Witt do? How many are done by the ladies today? Would the women skaters just those few short years ago even have dreamt of doing a quadruple? Defininetly not and even the guys could only dream of them back then... so yes, it's a sport even when thinking of "higher, faster, farther"!

Skate@Delaware
05-31-2006, 09:01 AM
I would say it depends on how vigorous you pursue it...some people are recreational skaters and some pursue it as a sport. It goes for some other pasttimes that might not seem as "sporty" as others...golf, bowling, table tennis...

luna_skater
05-31-2006, 11:47 AM
IMO, sport involves athleticism and competition.

You can have varying degrees of recreation or competitiveness in any sport. There is Major League Baseball, and beer-league Slo-Pitch. Similar games yet entirely different at the same time.

TashaKat
05-31-2006, 12:25 PM
It's a sport, ok a very unique sport in that it also incorporates artistry but, hey, isn't that what makes it special?

I'd LOVE to see those people who say that it isn't a sport actually try to get through a programme and see what they say (if they can actually breath) afterwards!

If darts is a sport then skating most definitely is!

jenlyon60
05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
ESPN shows Poker tournaments and ESPN calls itself a Sports network.

Is Poker a sport? (sarcasm intended)

If darts is a sport then skating most definitely is!

jazzpants
05-31-2006, 04:04 PM
It's BOTH (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/sport)... (Click on link, then click on the 2 Noun form of the word.)

I would post the noun form of the definition of "sport"... but if I did, I wouldn't be able to "keep it G." :twisted: