View Full Version : My first competition in 6 years!

chantelly
05-30-2006, 03:29 AM
I have had 5 years off skating to have my children and am now 24 I'm about to do the adult competion in Dance at Bracknell in June and am scared stiff! Especially since I have only just learnt the willow waltz! does anyone know how many competitiors there are normally roughly I'm doing level 6 and under solo compulsories? I'm hoping there will be quite a few as then there is less pressure! About 10+ would be nice! then I can hide in the background! :) will anyone else be there? and how do you know what time you will skate? I'm not used to all this!

NickiT
05-30-2006, 04:04 AM
Hey I'll be there competing. Bracknell is my home rink so there's no getting out of it for me. I compete in free though. I always suffer with nerves and am already starting to worry about it, but it's usually a fun day and the skaters are always very friendly. I hope to meet you there. I'll be there both days!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
05-30-2006, 05:38 AM
I'm doing level 6 and under solo compulsories? I'm hoping there will be quite a few as then there is less pressure! Well, I can tell you that I know for a fact you have at least two competitors, one of whom is my one and only Husband! Who hasn't practiced the Willow Waltz in a dog's age..... and whose coach said "Oh yuck!" when I told her this morning that he had better practice it..... There should be a fairly big field as it's a qualifier for the British Adults as well as a competition in its own right - I'd be surprised if there were fewer than five or six minimum.

We'll be dancing later on in the Couples Elementary or Level 4 & Under or whatever it's called, plus the Elementary Free Dance. And, of course, the Drawn Partners.

rf3ray
05-30-2006, 06:03 AM
Hey do you have a guy called simon who does QUAD jumps there, he visited my rink with his coach

Hey I'll be there competing. Bracknell is my home rink so there's no getting out of it for me. I compete in free though. I always suffer with nerves and am already starting to worry about it, but it's usually a fun day and the skaters are always very friendly. I hope to meet you there. I'll be there both days!

Nicki

NickiT
05-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Hey do you have a guy called simon who does QUAD jumps there, he visited my rink with his coach

Yes, Simon trains and coaches at our rink. Just noticed you are from Perth. Simon and Jon (his coach) visited Perth earlier this year. I take it you met them then?

Nicki

rf3ray
05-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Yeah I met them, he's and awesome skater, he was training with out national team, basically he standed out really well ::D :D

NickiT
05-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah I met them, he's and awesome skater, he was training with out national team, basically he standed out really well ::D :D

He sure works really hard. Good to hear he's standing out. He deserves to do well given the effort he puts in!

chantelly
05-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, I can tell you that I know for a fact you have at least two competitors, one of whom is my one and only Husband! Who hasn't practiced the Willow Waltz in a dog's age..... and whose coach said "Oh yuck!" when I told her this morning that he had better practice it..... There should be a fairly big field as it's a qualifier for the British Adults as well as a competition in its own right - I'd be surprised if there were fewer than five or six minimum.

We'll be dancing later on in the Couples Elementary or Level 4 & Under or whatever it's called, plus the Elementary Free Dance. And, of course, the Drawn Partners.

I might do the drawn partners too It sounds fun, how does that work? At least you can tell hubby he won't come last, my willow is atrocious! :frus: I can't wait really as I know if I do come last that it really doesn't matter this is more like a practice run for next time as I have been away so long! It seems really weird competing against men too, how odd!

Mrs Redboots
05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
I might do the drawn partners too It sounds fun, how does that work? At least you can tell hubby he won't come last, my willow is atrocious! :frus:Well, you put your name down on the day with the entry fee (only a fiver, I think), and they draw your name out of the hat with that of a man, who might be brilliant or who might be the rankest of rank beginners, it's seriously luck of the draw. Then they draw two couples to skate against each other, one red, one blue (the man wears a tabard so the judges know which is which), and at the end of the dance, the judges show a red or blue panel to indicate which one has won (or a blank panel if, in their opinion, it's a tie). Whereupon the couple that has lost is out (although often a man who has lost in the first round will skate again with a second partner), and the couple that wins goes through to the next round, and so on until only two couples are left in, for the final.

I can't wait really as I know if I do come last that it really doesn't matter this is more like a practice run for next time as I have been away so long! It seems really weird competing against men too, how odd!Welcome to the wonderful world of Adult Dance......

chantelly
05-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks! i can't wait now! Say hello if you see me!