View Full Version : axel-- how to start

wondering
05-27-2006, 03:35 AM
i'm pretty comfortable with everything in FS5 , except i haven't started on my axel yet. does anyone have any ideas on how to start ? i can't figure out how to do one on the floor -- so any advice would be appreciated . (:
thanks !

jp1andOnly
05-27-2006, 08:50 AM
work on your backspin, do waltz/loop, waltz/loop/loop, waltz/backspins.

i'm pretty comfortable with everything in FS5 , except i haven't started on my axel yet. does anyone have any ideas on how to start ? i can't figure out how to do one on the floor -- so any advice would be appreciated . (:
thanks !

montanarose
05-27-2006, 10:32 AM
I would suggest starting with lots of prayer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck to you!

ellen

luna_skater
05-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Ask your coach. No sense in teaching yourself bad habits.

TripleTwist
05-27-2006, 01:53 PM
When i first started learning my Single axel i started standing still, or with little speed. if i was moving i would go on a stong curve (middle circle)

step forward(like waltz jump) with arms infront then swing arms back then forward again.. When your arms swing forward bring your leg threw. (at the same time) this first step should be kind of long.. when you bring your knee though jump.

If your jumping counter clockwise. keep your head to the right when you take off. Dont jump arround. jump forwards. squeeze tight..

Im sorry, i dont know if this will help. its alot easyer telling someone on the ice. not on writing.

Yeah, even just get one lesson from a coach to learn the basics.. and then write them down..

doubletoe
05-28-2006, 07:48 PM
The axel is just a whole different animal from any of the single jumps, so I have to say "Get your coach to show you" because there are just so many things you can do wrong on an axel. The least that can happen is that you will just waste your time trying it on your own and never manage to get the full rotation (yes, I did that!). The worst that can happen is that you will get all lopsided in the air and have a very nasty fall. The best thing you can do right now is to get a really good backspin and a good waltz-loop-loop. Until you can do those things with good control, you won't be ready for the axel.