View Full Version : How do you know when you are ready to learn Axel

rf3ray
05-25-2006, 06:29 AM
Ok guys, I have me coach making me do combination jumps of
Waltz Loop to Loop to 1/2 Loop to Salchow and a variety of others. I am just wondering do you think it is close for me to do axels on Ice?

I can land consistent axel jumps OFF ICE properly but my coach hasnt introduced them in any of my lessons?

What are your experiences for these?

jp1andOnly
05-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Why not ask your coach if you are ready? You might be working on the waltz/loop but perhaps you dont have the exact positioning yet...we don't know. Only your coach knows. Just ask..he/she won't bite. Maybe they are waiting for you to show interest.

Ok guys, I have me coach making me do combination jumps of
Waltz Loop to Loop to 1/2 Loop to Salchow and a variety of others. I am just wondering do you think it is close for me to do axels on Ice?

I can land consistent axel jumps OFF ICE properly but my coach hasnt introduced them in any of my lessons?

What are your experiences for these?

NickiT
05-25-2006, 07:54 AM
At our rink they generally don't start teaching the axel until you have all your jumps consistant through to lutz. I'd recommend you ask your coach. If you are landing them off the ice you're already part of the way there!

Nicki

doubletoe
05-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Exercises like the waltz-loop and waltz-loop-loop are meant to prepare you for the axel, so your coach is clearly already working on the axel with you. Do you already have all of your other jumps, including the lutz? How is your backspin? Finally, has your coach seen you land axels on the floor, and if so, what does he/she say?

rf3ray
05-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah My coach has seen me landed axels in Off-ice training and I can do all my Jumps consistently through to the Lutz, pretty much the Lutz and Flip are my best jumps

jazzpants
05-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah My coach has seen me landed axels in Off-ice training and I can do all my Jumps consistently through to the Lutz, pretty much the Lutz and Flip are my best jumpsThen you ask your coach if he thinks you're ready to try for an axel and if he says "Yes!", then you're ready to learn an Axel! Simple as that!!! :P

flo
05-26-2006, 09:14 AM
When you're ready to splat, get frustrated and get up and try it again.

jazzpants
05-26-2006, 10:41 AM
When you're ready to splat, get frustrated and get up and try it again.And on occasions, it's when you're ready to go splat, get hurt, get carried off ice, bandaged and iced, go home and rest, get frustrated during your time off, and THEN eventually get up and try it again. :lol: :twisted:

doubletoe
05-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah My coach has seen me landed axels in Off-ice training and I can do all my Jumps consistently through to the Lutz, pretty much the Lutz and Flip are my best jumps

Okay, then your coach is probably watching your waltz-loop-loops and waiting until your takeoff and transition to your landing hip look really solid before moving on to axels on the ice. But why don't you go ahead and ask her when she'll start having you try axels on the ice? Also, if you have a harness at your rink, it might be worthwhile to try an axel on the harness to see how it feels to land it on the ice (which is quite different from the floor because of the big heavy boots).