View Full Version : Back edges

sue123
05-24-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm having problems with my back outside edges. I always seem to get my arms mixed up. My coach tells me you move your foot first, then your arms, and then your head last. Besides the fact that everything moves at once, I have no idea where my arms are. My coach told me last time, and I keep forgetting.

froggy
05-24-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm assuming you are referring to back outside consecutive edges. let's say your starting off with a left back outside edge, push onto the left outside edge, right arm in front, left arm back, free leg pointed in front following the trace of the skating leg, close to the top of the half circle first slowly move your arms, then free leg and head you should now be back at the axis and ready to push off your left leg onto a right back outside edge, you are already all set up, with left arm in front and right arm back, from the push of the left your left free leg should be now pointed in front following the trace of your right skating leg, again close to the top of the half circle move your arms, then free leg and head and at the axis repeat.

i found back outside edges hardest to learn but now i like them the best of my consecutive edges. as you get better see how big your 1/2 cirlces get and how long you can hold your outside edges!

Good luck!!

dbny
05-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Are you asking about the Pre Preliminary BO edge pattern? If so then:

to start on your R foot:

1) Stand on the line facing the opposite wall with feet parallel and pointed at the opposite wall

2) R arm forward and across your body, as in a wind up, L arm back, and torso twisted

3) Pick up your R foot, and as you stroke onto it, reverse your arms. Look back in the direction you are going.

4) Do not move your arms, shoulders, head, or free leg until the top of the lobe.

5) At the top of the lobe, first rotate your shoulders (I like to pass my arms close to my sides, as it prevents excess movement and rotation) and turn to look over your L shoulder, then pass your free leg back and extend it over (what will be) your tracing.

6) You are now in position for the next stroke. Do not change the position of your head, shoulders, arms, or free leg again until the top of the next lobe.

Except for the initial push off, you only rotate arms/shoulders at the top of a lobe.