View Full Version : GOOD, but healthy low-fat low-cal recipes

Joan
05-23-2006, 08:39 PM
The weight loss thread prompted me to start this. I just made this recipe and it is AMAZINGLY good for the number of calories.
Squash and black bean stew:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102389
(I omitted the jalapeno, though)

Per serving: calories, 185; total fat, 3 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0

What is your favorite low-fat recipe?

phoenix
05-23-2006, 09:15 PM
I just made this tonight....

cook a cup of rice, throw in a can of pinto beans, a can of corn, a lot of cilantro & 1/2 a packet of taco seasoning. I wrap it up in a tortilla & top it w/ a lot of fresh salsa (my grocery store deli makes faboo salsa for about a buck/half pound).

I don't know the calories but it's practically no fat, filling & tasty! And has good protein. Lots of carbs though, for those that are cutting those.....not me! :P

mikawendy
05-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Mmmm, phoenix, sounds yummy.

For low-fat, I like the black bean and salsa dip recipe in the Joy of Cooking--just black beans, salsa, lime juice, and garlic. If you have it with red pepper spears or baby carrots instead of corn chips, it's fat free.

I also like to make a salsa-yogurt dip with nonfat yogurt and salsa. I drain the yogurt by putting a paper towel in a strainer, putting that in a bowl, and putting yogurt in the strainer--it makes the yogurt thicker. Again, tasty with bell pepper spears or baby carrots...

jazzpants
05-23-2006, 09:45 PM

cook a cup of rice, throw in a can of pinto beans, a can of corn, a lot of cilantro & 1/2 a packet of taco seasoning. I wrap it up in a tortilla & top it w/ a lot of fresh salsa (my grocery store deli makes faboo salsa for about a buck/half pound).

I don't know the calories but it's practically no fat, filling & tasty! And has good protein. Lots of carbs though, for those that are cutting those.....not me! :PYUM YUM!!! Can I come over for dinner??? I'm starvin', Marvin!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :yum: :lol:

Maineskate
05-24-2006, 06:07 AM
My favorite is one I sort of make up as I go along. Lentil Salad: Okay, I know it doesn't "sound" appetizing, but it is! It's basically pasta salad without the pasta.

Boil up some brown lentils and barley until they're soft, but not mushy.

Chop up whatever veggies you have in the fridge--I usually use celery, bell peppers, onions, cucumber, artichoke hearts, sometimes I use sun-dried or cherry tomatoes

Drain and rinse the lentils/barley in cold water.

Mix everything together in a big bowl and pour a vinaigrette over it. I usually make my own with olive oil, red wine vinager, a little brown mustard, and one of those "good seasons" packets. But you can use whatever you like.

You can also add olives and feta cheese or parmesan cheese--depending on your tastes.

Put it in the fridge to chill, or eat it right away!

Yummmyy!

Julie

VegasGirl
05-24-2006, 06:25 AM

I don't know the calories but it's practically no fat, filling & tasty! And has good protein. Lots of carbs though, for those that are cutting those.....not me! :P

Depending on what kind and size of tortilla you use it has between 70 (6" corn tortilla) and 215 (10" flour tortilla) calories and between 2-3 g of fat.
A cup of rice, again depending on what kind, has between 90 and 215 calories with virtually no fat.
A can of pinto beans has 70 calories, virtually no fat... corn 165 calories (per cup) with just under 2 g of fat... cilantro 5 calories per tablespoon dried, no fat... taco seasoning 20 calories per tablespoon, no fat.

Total:

best case: 420 calories, 4 g of fat;

wort case: 680 calories, 5 g of fat;

VegasGirl
05-24-2006, 06:57 AM
Two of my favorite lo-cal, lo-fat recipes:

Peach-sauced Pork

(per serving)

3 ounces pork tenderloin
1/4 of 16-ounce can peach slices in light syrup
4 tblsp cold water
1/4 teasp cornstarch
1/16 teasp of salt
dash of ground allspice

- If applicable trim fat from pork, cut crosswise into 4 slices, ea. about 1/2" thick. Place ea slice between plastic wrap and, using flat meat mallet, lightly pound to 1/4" thickness. Remove plastic wrap.

- Coat an unheated skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Cook pork in hot skillet for 4-6 minutes or until tender and juices run clear, turning once halfway through. Remove pork from skillet and keep warm. Carefully wipe skillet with paper towel.

- Drain peaches, reserving 1/8 cup syrup. Set peaches aside. In a small bowl stir together the reserved syrup, water, cornstarch, salt and allspice. Add syrup mix to skillet and cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Add the pork and peaches, and heat through.

- Serve over hot cooked rice.

Calories for pork dish: 174 Fat:3g
Calories for rice (1 cup): 90 Fat: 0

Total calories per serving: 264 Fat: 3g

Honey-Ginger-Crusted Chicken

(per serving)

1 small skinless, boneless chicken breast halve (about 3 ounces)
1/4 tblsp honey
1/4 tblsp orange juice
1/16 teasp ground ginger
1/16 teasp ground black pepper
dash ground red pepper
1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
1/8 teasp dried parsley

- Coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken breast in baking pan. In small bowl combine honey, orange juice, ginger, black pepper and red pepper. Brush honey mix over chicken. Combine cornflakes and parsley. Sprinkle cornflake mix over chicken.

- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 F oven for 18-20 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.

Serve with 1 cup rice and 1 cup boiled carrots.

Calories prepared chicken: 127 Fat: 3g
Calories prepared rice: 90 Fat: 0
Calories boiled carrots: 54 Fat: 1g

Total calories per serving: 271 Fat: 4g

jenlyon60
05-24-2006, 07:36 AM
Depending on what kind and size of tortilla you use it has between 70 (6" corn tortilla) and 215 (10" flour tortilla) calories and between 2-3 g of fat.
A cup of rice, again depending on what kind, has between 90 and 215 calories with virtually no fat.
A can of pinto beans has 70 calories, virtually no fat... corn 165 calories (per cup) with just under 2 g of fat... cilantro 5 calories per tablespoon dried, no fat... taco seasoning 20 calories per tablespoon, no fat.

Total:

Lots of fiber from the beans though, which helps also.

Joan
05-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Lots of fiber from the beans though, which helps also.

And use of brown rice instead of white would increase the fiber and lower the calories somewhat.

phoenix
05-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Total:

That's also for the whole thing, right? (minus the tortilla) It makes a BIG pot of rice/beans/corn, I always end up freezing at least 1/2 of it, & eating the other half over several days. It makes at least 8-10 servings, depending on how full I stuff the tortilla.

Joan
05-24-2006, 10:54 AM
I just came across this article:

"Women who fail to get enough shut-eye each night risk gaining weight, a Cleveland-based researcher reported at a medical conference in San Diego today."

cont. at:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2006-05-24T121912Z_01_COL443720_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-SLEEP-WEIGHT-DC.XML

flippet
05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I just came across this article:

"Women who fail to get enough shut-eye each night risk gaining weight, a Cleveland-based researcher reported at a medical conference in San Diego today."

cont. at:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2006-05-24T121912Z_01_COL443720_RTRIDST_0_HEALTH-SLEEP-WEIGHT-DC.XML

I've heard this. Boy, ol' Mother Nature really has it in for new and nursing mothers, then, doesn't she? :roll: My problem is the 'baby fat' that absolutely refuses to budge while I'm nursing. And, like any new mother gets enough sleep, what with the kid(s) waking 2, 3, 4 times a night! I give up! :giveup: :lol:

But back to the recipes...those sound great! I'll have to try some. I'm such a lazy/ignorant cook. :(

dbny
05-24-2006, 04:06 PM
This recipe calls for TVP, textured vegetable protein, but you can use two packages of Morningstar Farms burger bits instead.

Vegetarian Chili

6 cans of red kidney beans or the same amountt of soaked dried beans
1 large can chopped tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 large chopped white onion
2 diced green peppers
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
ground cumin, to taste
chili powder, to taste
Chinese ground hot red pepper or chopped jalapeno or poblano peppers, to taste
6 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
4 teaspoons pareve imitation beef flavor bouillon

Saute the chopped peppers in the olive oil.
Add the onions & garlic when the peppers are about half done, and sauté till soft
Pour tomatoes into large pot
Add tomato paste and stir in thoroughly
Add beans and stir
Add spices
Bring 7/8 C water to a boil and stir in bouillon till dissolved
Add to TVP, mixing with a fork, let sit 10 minutes
Add TVP when ready, flaking into pot with fork
When tomatoes & beans are boiling, add sautéd peppers, onion, garlic

This is enough to last two people one week. Just cut the quantities in half for less. I prefer the Chinese ground pepper because cutting hot peppers irritates my hands, and it's easier to control the hotness with the powder. Serve with rice or pasta.