View Full Version : Congrats to FrankR: Newly Minted Gold FS Men!!!

jazzpants
05-23-2006, 07:06 PM
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=276932#post276932

HA HA HA!!! Time to properly embarrass the heck outta FrankR!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Congrats to our newly minted Adult GOLD MEN, FRANKR!!!

Yes, he just tested and passed his Adult Gold Free test TODAY!!! And to think, it seemed like only yesterday I knew you when you were just starting to skate... (*sniff sniff*) :D So PROUD of you, buddy!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

doubletoe
05-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey, that's awesome! Do post your testing story! They are always so suspenseful, even when you know how they turned out, LOL!

Terri C
05-23-2006, 07:18 PM
While I PM'd you earlier, here's another shout out of congrats!!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

FrankR
05-23-2006, 07:35 PM
LOL!! Leave it to jazzpants. :lol:

I thought I'd be oh so discrete and ride into the sunset quietly but NOOOO!!!! ;)

Thanks jazzy, Terri and doubletoe! :D

Well, as for the story, I'll tell you that I was very nervous from the minute I dropped the test application into the mailbox a few weeks ago. Let's just say my moves coach/choreographer doubled as my therapist for the past few weeks. Fortunately, I started to calm down last week and had a decent week last week and a pretty good session right before the test today. Most things started to click right away. However, during the five-minute warm-up my nerves started to catch up with me and I missed a few things here and there. My test skate actually started very strongly. My opening sit-spin, according to one judge, had eight revolutions!! 8O I wasn't aware I could do that many revolutions on any spin! :lol: I followed that up with my axel and it was a good one. The elements went pretty well up until my final combination spin. I was pretty tired and by that time I was actually thinking I might actually pass this test. So I go into the spin and as I was changing feet I sat down. :x (Spins! SPINS!!! Why do you betray me?!?!?!?:roll:) The judges were very nice. One of them said to me "Three guesses which element we'd like to see you re-skate." My response "Ummm...that would be the combination spin sir?" So I re-skated my combination spin and it was okay. So I passed.

One judge gave me 3.0 on technical merit and 3.0 on presentation. The second judge gave me 3.2 on both the technical and presentation mark. The third judge gave me 3.2 on the technical mark and 3.3 on the presentation mark. I think the passing average is 3.0 and the passing total is 6.0.

So, there's the story. I wasn't 100% happy with how I skated. I think I was too nervous and moving in between the elements I didn't feel as comfortable as I did at Adult Nationals. I would have preferred to get through my program cleanly and pass without having to re-skate anything but those are the breaks and on the whole, the judges seemed happy with my skate.

So, now it's time for me to work on actually looking and skating like a Gold skater. 8O Eeep! Have mercy. :giveup:

Thanks again,

Frank

froggy
05-23-2006, 07:41 PM
congratulations!!!!!

jazzpants
05-23-2006, 07:44 PM
LOL!! Leave it to jazzpants. :lol:

I thought I'd be oh so discrete and ride into the sunset quietly but NOOOO!!!! ;) And let you get away without a FANFARE!!?!? I think... NOT!!! :twisted: :P :lol:
Thanks jazzy, Terri and doubletoe! :DYou're welcome! You've earned it, dude!!! (And LOL, on the "Moves Guru acting as your shrink" line!!! I'm sure I'm gonna need a "shrink" by the time my test dates rounds around.) But you'll be great as a Gold level skater!!! ;)

phoenix
05-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Great job!!! That's a huge accomplishment.

doubletoe
05-23-2006, 08:04 PM
I wasn't 100% happy with how I skated. I think I was too nervous and moving in between the elements I didn't feel as comfortable as I did at Adult Nationals. I would have preferred to get through my program cleanly and pass without having to re-skate anything but those are the breaks and on the whole, the judges seemed happy with my skate.
Frank

Compared to my Gold FS test, you were a pro! Maybe this summary of my test will make you feel better. . . I had two axels and I fell on the first one. On the landing of the second axel, the friends who came to cheer me on were frozen silent for what seemed like 5 seconds as they waited to see if I was going to hold onto the landing--which I had by a toepick--or end up on my butt (I finally convinced them I was going to remain upright, and I got a round of applause). Then I promptly messed up on the two easiest elements in the program: a plain sitspin and a loop-toeloop combination! Those were the two elements I had just substituted in to dumb down my competition program for the test, and they ended up being the ones I spazzed out on and had to re-skate. Trust me, I felt very unworthy of passing, LOL!

renatele
05-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Frank, congrats once again!!!

(I was planning on going straight home and posting here, but as you know, decided to go to Floyd to watch the adult group rehearsal and ended up talking a little too long, so came back just 30 mins or so ago... jazzpants beat me)

dbny
05-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Congratulations!

WhisperSung
05-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Wow, congrats! That's such a great accomplishment. Makes me green with envy (now if only I could get those Novice moves done so I could make a general stab in the direction of Novice free!).

Debbie S
05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Congratulations, Frank! Looking forward to seeing your Gold debut. I know you'll be awesome (to borrow Kimmie's word)! :)

kar5162
05-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Congrats FrankR!!! That's a fantastic accomplishment!

Isk8NYC
05-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Outstanding achievement - all the best in your competitions!

flying~camel
05-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Congratulations! :)

sexyskates
05-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Congratulations FrankR!!!!!! You looked like a gold skater all this season - well deserved!

InsideAxel
05-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Congratulations Frank, and welcome to Gold Men! Hope to skate with you someday soon!

Kelton

LoopLoop
05-24-2006, 07:14 AM
Congratulations, Frank! You're AWESOME! :D :D

pairman2
05-24-2006, 07:21 AM
CONGRATULATIONS FRANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you were definitely ready....beautiful axels and all. You will make a very nice compliment to the Gold men's competition.....move over everyone!

Pairman2

FrankR
05-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Wow!! 8O :D Thanks so much everyone for all the nice posts. I skated this morning just to get on the ice after the test and work on some basics and I can tell you that once that adrenaline from competing or testing leaves you, skating becomes much more difficult. :frus: :lol: I think I'll rest up tomorrow.;)

In any case, thanks again! I really appreciate everyone's support.

Frank

dcden
05-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the dark side! And KONGRATCHULAYSHUNS!!!

montanarose
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey, Frank -- congratulations!

It seems like only yesterday that you were just starting to skate . . . where has the time gone? Obviously, the passing years have been better to you :bow: :bow: :bow: than to me (along with jazzpants a card-carrying member of the Pre-Bronze For Life Club :frus: )

Ellen

Black Sheep
05-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the Big Leagues! :D :yum:

TimDavidSkate
05-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Congrats Frank ~ that was a very quick process for you. Best wishes at the Gold level. I'll join you there at the fall of 2007:halo:

PattyP
05-24-2006, 11:39 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Frank!!! :)

Welcome to Gold!

For me testing nerves are much worse than competition nerves, don't worry about the one little reskate. Sounds like the judges really liked what they saw, so be proud of what you did.

Patty

Kristin
05-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Congrats, FrankR!!! That is a fantastic accomplishment! :)

techskater
05-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Congratulations! Welcome to the dark side!

lovepairs
05-24-2006, 06:13 PM
FrankR...YOU ROCK, BOYFRIEND! A BIG CONGRATS TO YOU!!! :bow:

LOVEPAIRS AND PAIRSMAN2

FrankR
05-25-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi all,

Thanks again for all the encouragement. I'd also like to thank all the gold skaters that have welcomed me with open arms but I just had to ask this. What's with the "dark side" comments? 8O As if the prospect of having to learn consistent double jumps and taming my wild spins weren't frightening enough, now I have to deal with a "dark side"?!?!?! ARGHHH! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again everyone and take care,

Frank

MusicSkateFan
05-25-2006, 08:25 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :) :) :) :bow: :bow: :bow:

Super Job Frank!!!!
Truly an inspiration to all adult skaters!
hmmmmm do we see Masters men in the future?
Go for the Championship Gold Men's Title!!!

There's hope for my silver moves and free!

(Interesting comment, Tim D. "Joining Gold Men in fall 2007" haven't you already competed in Gold? That should be "re-joining":twisted: :twisted: )

SK8RX
05-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Congratulations, Frank on all your hard work. You've accomplished a great deal in a short time! You deserve all the kudos.

Hope to join you in gold men this fall, just need to get those pesky brackets down.

Keep up the good work!

TimDavidSkate
05-25-2006, 11:13 AM
=MusicSkateFan
(Interesting comment, Tim D. "Joining Gold Men in fall 2007" haven't you already competed in Gold? That should be "re-joining":twisted: :twisted: )

I dont want to hack the topic, I sent you my response via pm;)

MusicSkateFan
05-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Just a friendly Jab......When I get set up for a punch line I got to take it! LOL

pennybeagle
05-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Add me to the list...

Congratulations, Frank! Sounds like you had an awesome test!
:bow:

tidesong
05-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Congratulations :)