View Full Version : Another "travel with skates" thread

jazzpants
05-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Okay, here's my situation and you might be able to help me...

I'm traveling to NYC again in June and I am going on Southwest this time b/c my SIL scored some freebie tickets and wants us at a "secret family reunion!" (Shhhh!) And of course, I'm going stay a few days so I can get in a little bit of skating with my favorite Chelsea Piers coach (or the Moves Guru if I don't get the Chelsea Piers coach...) ;)

The problem... I'm NOT going on a direct flight. (Southwest does NOT have a direct flight to NYC.) To me the more stopovers I go thru the more of a chance my luggage (and skates) will get lost. (I know I'm being anal but this is major $$$ and lost time in waiting for custom skates for my mutant feet PLUS time to break the boots down again. You better believe I'm being anal with my purple babies!!! :twisted: )

The airports I'm going thru are (if it's relavant):
Midway (Chicago), Las Vegas (return flight), Oakland and Islip (a small little airport on Long Island, NY... but near where I'm staying)

If this was United or American Airlines, I would check in my skates b/c it's a direct flight and I pick up my luggage when I get off the plane. But this is Southwest and I've heard all the stuff about their being "bargain airlines" and all.

Should I go for the USPS and just ship it and insure them up the wazoo and hope it will get there (or at least be reimbursed for them?) Has anyone recently travelled with their skates as "carry ons" within the US? I hear the more well known competitors do ship their skates to their hotel or venue.

TIA!

mdvask8r
05-23-2006, 02:19 AM
When I flew to Dallas for AN (from Dulles International) I carried my skates on with absolutely no problems. Many others I talked to did the same. I just put my bag thru the xray at security and no one even blinked an eye when they saw the skates on the screen.

sceptique
05-23-2006, 04:38 AM
You really never know:

I always checked my skates in - and a few times I did it through a special handling window for fragile items - except one occasion when I was late for boarding and had to take them with me or miss the flight. The security (Brussels airport) did make a fuss out of it - the guy called his supervisor and they discussed it for a while, inspected the blade and finally allowed me to take them along, as an exception.

But last week I was denied boarding and missed the flight because I had a jumping rope in my bag! No kidding! The guy told me it was a strangling hazard and I have to check it in. Since check in was already closed by the time I got to them (and I was stupid enough to go there instead of simply handing the rope to the security and moving on), they simply cancelled my boarding pass before I even managed to breathe out "what the hell?" To add insult to the injury, when instead of taking the cancelled pass to service desk as suggested, I went away with it (what harm could it be - it's already worthless?) The guy ran after me and physically pulled it out of my hands. So much of early morning entertainment for a piece of rubber string and two plastic handles!

So, the point is, the fate of you purple babies at the end of the day is essentially in the hands of a random security clerk who might or might not be in the mood to let you take them with you to the cabin. You may still, try, but you may always be asked to check them in.

VegasGirl
05-23-2006, 06:18 AM
Hm, your luggage is reimbursable up to $2800... isn't that enough to cover the cost of the skates should they get lost?

Btw, if you send them USPS they more than likely will just be flying 'piggy back' on a commercial flight any way... might actually be on the same flight as you... I don't see the advantage.

coskater64
05-23-2006, 06:47 AM
As I sit here in a London hotel, having travelled to france and now the UK from the Denver, I would say just check them. My skates are covered by my homeowner's insurance so if they are lost I will be compensated. If they are misdirected then so be it.... I am travelling w/ 2 pairs of skates not one and as with everyone they are very costly but... you have to check them.

Isk8NYC
05-23-2006, 06:59 AM
I would just check them because Security really doesn't want them on the plane. Put some vaseline or WD40 on the blades, and put on the hard guards. Add a label on the bottom of each skate with your destination address and name. Then check your skate bag.

I'm taking AmTrak to Boston next week and I called to ask this question. They told me that they'd let me bring the skates on board with me.
I was actually hoping I wouldn't have to drag my big bag on board with me, that the porter would manage it for me! ;)

jenlyon60
05-23-2006, 08:03 AM
I've flown multiple times and always checked my skates with no problem.

Well, I tend to check baggage more than not, and especially since the time I got whacked on the head by an out-of-control case someone was trying to get out of the overhead bin right above my head.

Only twice in 30 years have I had anything go wayward, and one of those times it wasn't the airline's fault (someone picked up my suitcase instead of theirs...)

I pack my skates in with my normal stuff, in the center of the case, put socks or tights or undies inside the boots, put my soft guards on the blades, and ensure that they are cushioned below, above and around by other clothing. Has always worked like a champ.

Debbie S
05-23-2006, 08:38 AM
When I traveled to St. Louis for Nationals this year (American Airlines), I took my new Klingbeils with me b/c I needed some adjustments made and decided that since they would be there, it would be easier to go by their booth and have them see the skates on my feet rather than mailing them back to their shop. I kept them in my carry-on luggage, but they didn't have blades on them yet. I was expecting, though, to be stopped at security and asked to open my bag after the x-ray, given that skates are supposedly prohibited (and I would show them there were no blades so no danger). But they did not stop me, nor did they even stop the conveyor belt to get a closer look when my bag went through, like they sometimes do. So who knows?

I had a harder time getting into the arena with them. I explained to the guy that I was just taking them to the Klingbeil booth, yada, yada, yada, and he went on about how I'd have to make a special arrangement with security b/c they didn't allow people to bring in skates (I guess to prevent would-be streakers from getting on the ice) and then when my mom and I pointed out that the skates didn't have blades, he relented since they "aren't really skates then, they're footwear".

beachbabe
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
I always carry on! I just tell them i'm heading to a competition and i can't risk losing them. I only get asked to show them the skates like 50% of the time.

I hate to check any bags because i've had things lost before. i had a set of skis lost and a big suitcase lost once, and I had brought the skis for a ski trip and was veeeery mad. They didn't lose either of my parents skis, however. Thankfully we had the ski luggage specifically insured for $1500 and the actual skis were only worth $600 or so. Needless to say i went out and spent $800 on new equipment and the rest of the money on clothes and presents and stuff, and everything was reimbursed in a month. Thank goodness dads company lets employees insure luggage if you fly a certain airline.

And last time i moved i had a bag lost and had to live without clothes for a week. Very inconvenient. And the don't even deliver it to you...you have to pick it up!!

edit: actually just called U.S. Airways. They said as long as the blades have solid guards on them and the skates are packed tightly with clothing and/or other soft items, the skates can be carried on in a suitcase.

dbny
05-23-2006, 04:04 PM
I just got off the phone with my dear friend in Oakland (you met her, Jazzpants), who is now in Austin at the airport trying to get back home after a family visit. With only one change in Dallas, she has just found out that her flight from Austin is being delayed to the point that she will miss her flight out of Dallas to Oakland. There is no guarantee where her baggage will be at any particular time, and she may even have to spend a night in Dallas without it. After hearing all that, I think I would opt to FedEx my skates rather than make a flight with two changes of planes and my skates in my baggage.

froggy
05-23-2006, 04:12 PM
while traveling domestically this year I called up my airline (American I think it was) and they told me I could take them on as a carry on. HOwever, I then proceeded to call the TSA (trasportation security administration) it's they who ultimately has the say in these matters since its them at the security points in the airport, and they told me absolutely no, they Must be checked in. I realize there are some of us on the thread that were able to get on the plane with skates as a carry on, but just realize security has the ability to tell you no so in the end it's seems that there is always a strong possiblity having to check them in at the airport. unfortunately in todays times things are very difft than 5+ years ago. the following was taken from the TSA's website

Transporting Sports Equipment

New screening guidelines prohibit certain sporting equipment from being brought on-board an aircraft. These items include:

Baseball bats
Bows and arrows
Cricket bats
Golf clubs
Hockey sticks
Hunting knives
Martial arts devices
Pool cues
Scuba knives
Ski poles
Spear guns
Any other equipment determined by the screener to be dangerous such as Ice Skates.

While these items are prohibited from your carry-on baggage, they may be transported to your destination in your checked baggage. Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.

You may bring items such as baseballs, soccer balls, and basketballs through the passenger security checkpoint. They will need to be screened. Please see the Permitted and Prohibited Items for full list.

good luck and have a safe flight!!

Isk8NYC
05-24-2006, 06:45 AM
You better believe I'm being anal with my purple babies!!!Is that spelled with or with the hyphen?

Should I go for the USPS and just ship it and insure them up the wazoo and hope it will get there (or at least be reimbursed for them?)Are you staying at someone's house (good) or a hotel (less good)? I remember the hotel misplacing my handouts and transparencies that I shipped ahead when I used to speak at conferences and seminars. I finally figured out that I should call first, during the day, and get the concierge's or manager's name. That way, when the package came in (including a note with my name, contact info, and reservation number) it wasn't a big surprise. Obviously, your family will take in your skates!

Someone on another Board posted this advice:
Just a heads up for those with cool new Zucas. These bags do NOT fit in the overhead compartments for Southwest Airlines. The wheels are too wide and they do not go, no matter how much you shove!

Also, on the older planes, they will fit under the middle seat (except the wheels) but on the newer planes, they only fit about halfway. I was very worried I was going to have to check my bag, but luckily the flight attendant didn't notice or ignored my bright red zuca blocking the aisle!

However, I will not be taking my zuca on Southwest flights anymore, it is too risky. It does fit in the overhead on America West/US Airways though.

Stormy
05-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Honestly, I'd just carry them on!! When I went to AN, I had a connection in Newark from Providence (I flew Continental). When I connected through Newark, I had to go through security AGAIN, and all 4 times I had the skates checked through security. Nothing was mentioned any time. I didn't trust that they wouldn't be lost in the connection especially since my layovers were less than an hour each time. It really wasn't an issue to carry them on. Really, I'd just take them on.

flo
05-26-2006, 01:37 PM
I carried mine on from Baltimore to Paris.
I checked them on the way back.