View Full Version : video analysis of jumps--questions to think of ahead of time?

mikawendy
05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm going to an adult skating seminar, and one of the workshops offered will be on video analysis of jumps. There will be an off-ice explanation/presentation, then we'll be on ice to jump and be videotaped.

I've never done this before (and I'm looking forward to it). Is there anything in particular I should ask about? Has anyone done this before and are there certain things that you've found particularly useful?

(I don't know if it's Dartfish or something by another name.)

doubletoe
05-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Yes, I went to a seminar about 2 years ago and that was part of it, although they only showed and discussed videos of top skaters; they didn't take videos of our jumps. They will probably point out things like upper body position (for example, pointing out errors like uneven shoulders or pre-rotation with the upper body), picking technique on toe jumps, etc. If you aren't used to watching your own jumps frame-by-frame on video, it should be very helpful. It will also encourage you to watch yourself on video more often and really use it as a tool.

Skate@Delaware
05-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Mika, I believe it is Dartfish, and I'm really excited to see this in person! I video my jumps (I don't know why, they are really bad) and my coach loves to see them on video, we watch them in slo-mo. (It is awful to watch a bad jump in slo-mo but what the hey!)

You can pick out the smallest problems-dropped shoulders, feet not where they should be, toes not pointed, legs not stretched, etc.

I'm not sure what to ask either....