View Full Version : costume question?

sk8dinosaur
05-18-2006, 08:02 AM
I have a question regarding costumes, is anyone can help I'd be gratefull. Is a bare tummy permissable in a u.s.f.s. basic skills showcase?:?:

Clarice
05-18-2006, 09:22 AM
I've seen it done, so it must be possible (hula numbers, Carmen Miranda type costumes, "fun in the sun" kinds of things, etc.). I've also seen all of the above done with illusion fabric over the midriff. When in doubt, check with the folks at the specific competition you're planning to attend. Rules like this can vary from club to club at local competitions.

jenlyon60
05-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Even if the rules of the competition allow bare midriff, mesh would be safer for your skater, if the skater happens to fall forwards while performing, especially if the ice is rather beat up. Some protection better than none, and cuts/scrapes from beat-up ice can be very painful (not necessarily serious, but painful).

twokidsskatemom
05-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Depending on the age of the child, I would just stay away from bare tummys. Mesh would look much better.:)

CanAmSk8ter
05-23-2006, 09:37 AM
The USFS rule, last I knew, did state no bare midriffs, but I've seen dozens of skaters wearing outfits that *look* bare. Usually the area is covered with flesh-colored mesh or glissenette but those are generally expensive custom-made costumes- not at all necessary for Basic Skills, IMO.

What about going to a dance shop and getting one of those flesh-toned camisole leotards for under the outfit? Capezio makes them, and I think a couple of the other companies do too. I have one to wear under dresses that are light in color and need a lining of some sort (it's easier on my mom than actually lining the dress).

Logan3
05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
In a big competition in my area one of the showcase girls (7 or 8 years max, super tiny) was wearing a swimming suit. Yes a REAL swimming suit. Obviously the theme was the beach and she had sunglasses and other beach props (towels, hat and sunscreen). I was cold just watching her but she was a great skater, lots of gusto and she ended up winning. I do not remember the level, maybe pre-pre. Her program was quite fancy so I assumed lots of time and money went into it. The swimming suit was generous and tasty and the girl had no curves at all (super skinny). I heard that in showcase comps you just wear whatever.

In a related story my daughter is going though a pants only phase, she hates to wear dresses. So she asked me if next competition (not showcase, USFS basic skills, level FS1) she can wear shorts or pants. Now I never seen that around here. But if girls wear unitards now at Olympics can a girl wear pants or shorts in a local comp??????

fmh
05-24-2006, 04:07 PM
In a related story my daughter is going though a pants only phase, she hates to wear dresses. So she asked me if next competition (not showcase, USFS basic skills, level FS1) she can wear shorts or pants. Now I never seen that around here. But if girls wear unitards now at Olympics can a girl wear pants or shorts in a local comp??????
yes she can wear pants to local competitions competitions, there's a few people around my area that do.