View Full Version : what to do with DD skates.

felixdacat
05-17-2006, 09:19 AM
My daughter is 7 1/2, just moved up to basic 4, weights 40lbs, and has a pair of riedell 12's (the 50$ ones). She is in a size 12, and when I sized her, this is correct. She complains that her pinky toe hurts though.

We tried on a pair of 21's (115) in 12 1/2. It seemed like she had too much room in them at this point. She will probably be out of the 12's in a few more months , so moving up to another 12 doesnt make sense.

The guy at the skate shop suggested that maybe heat molding her old skates would help with her pinky toe situation. Does heat molding really help?

so my choices are.
1. heat mold her old skates and hope that helps and still use her skates until the fall when she will most probably outgrow them.

2. move up to the 12 1/2's which will be looser on her for now. maybe use thicker socks, even though that is not recommended.

I am trying to be economical about this, as with most 7 years olds, she might change her mind about skating anytime. I am willing to move up in skates for her, but I wonder which is better--heat molding the size is suppose to be right, or moving up to the larger size already

Thanks!

phoenix
05-17-2006, 09:23 AM
1. Yes, heat molding really does help. Definitely give that a try.

2. If you're looking at new skates, also look at Jacksons--their boots have a wider toe box than Reidell, which fits a narrow foot better. It could be that her foot shape just won't be a good fit in Reidells no matter what the size.

felixdacat
05-17-2006, 09:34 AM
her foot is only 6 1/2 around at the wide part, so her foot is somewhat narrow, but maybe we really do need to try the jackson. Which jackson would be good for someone who will probably still be in basic 6-8 before they outgrow them?

the other problem is that the pro shop at our rink only has the riedells. Other then online, where else can I get jackson's. our play it again sports has new riedell's as well. I checked jaskson's web site and no dealer in the atlanta area.

thanks again!

sandy

Isk8NYC
05-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Heat molding will definitely help, as will having the pro shop "punch out" the toe area or stretch the skate. Any of these options will make the skates last a little longer.

Too big skates will set her back because she won't be able to control the skate from front to back. If they're just a little loose, put an extra insole underneath the one that comes with the skates. When her foot grows (as it will) you can remove the extra insole. (You can use a Dr. Scholls or just cut one from white felt, using the original as a template.)

Make sure the pro shop gives her the right WIDTH skate. Riedells run narrow, Jacksons a bit wider, as Phoenix remarked. I've known people who buy their skates on vacation every summer because they like the pro shop near their vacation homes.

Good luck,

Isk8NYC

PS - I LOVE FELIX THE CAT! He's my DH's favorite cartoon character.

felixdacat
05-21-2006, 10:56 AM
The pro shop doesnt punch out skates. they said to go to the cobbler at the mall! One of the instructors at the rink does it though.

I was going to look into the jacksons when we go to NJ this summer, but found this deal online. Is this too much of a skate for a 40 or so lb girl who is in basic 4? (skating for about 8 months now 1-2 times a week,) she is not that athletic so I dont think she will ever make it past beginning freestyle to be honest, but she loves skating.

here are the skates:

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/83413709-D610-7E99-D047AD19106BD357

thanks for all your help.

sandy

Casey
05-21-2006, 07:02 PM
I was going to look into the jacksons when we go to NJ this summer, but found this deal online. Is this too much of a skate for a 40 or so lb girl who is in basic 4? (skating for about 8 months now 1-2 times a week,) she is not that athletic so I dont think she will ever make it past beginning freestyle to be honest, but she loves skating.
The description says "This skate set is great for beginners through Delta."...ISI Delta is roughly equivalent to Basic 8, so it seems like a good match for her level, certainly not too much.

Best of luck - I can only imagine the frustration of buying good-fitting skates for a constantly-changing foot size!

Isk8NYC
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
The Silver Medallion is a step up from your daughter's Blue Ribbon skates she now uses. My kids are on their second pair of Medallions, and I like them a lot. However, be aware that the Riedell line runs narrow.

I noticed in the description that these boots were made prior to 2001. The Medallion series was redesigned about 2-3 years ago. The older model was NOT heat-moldable, the linings weren't as cushioned, and the blade wasn't as good as the current one.

I think the bigger concern is what condition are these 5-year old skates in now, after sitting in a warehouse for all this time? You might want to ask about return policies before you buy. If the leather's dried out, or the blades are badly rusted, you'll probably want to return them. (BTW, Rainbo Sports is a good company; they probably just got these from a distributor recently.)