View Full Version : Skate identification

mintypoppet
05-16-2006, 06:35 AM
It must be an AOSS related symptom, but every time I see a skater at the rink or on TV, I wonder what kind of skates they're wearing. There's only a few brands I'm familiar with and can identify. I was wondering what distinguishing features other skates have?

- SP Teris have a badge on the side of the heel, but then so do some other brands. (Which ones?)

- WIFA skates often have a green sticker on the sole, assuming the skater hasn't taken it off!

- Klingbeils have an extra hook.

Can anyone add to my very short list?

Thanks,

minty

Isk8NYC
05-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Riedells have an oval "badge" on the heel.
Jacksons have a notch at the ankle. (Although most dance boots have this as well.)

Hmmm. Guess "over the boot" tights must frustrate you, huh?

mintypoppet
05-16-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm not that pedantic about it, promise :lol:

I guess I'm just nosey about what boots people choose to wear. It's such an individual thing, and it interests me to see what skaters at different levels go for.

luna_skater
05-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Riedells have an oval "badge" on the heel.
Jacksons have a notch at the ankle. (Although most dance boots have this as well.)

As well as some Riedell models...

- Gams have a very large, high tongue
- Edmonton Specials (Graf), have three horizontal lines across the back of the boot. They are also lower cut, and also have an ankle notch
- Harlicks have "Harlick" scripted on the heel
- Risports have a long, narrow heel plate. They also have a very rounded toe. Riedells have more of a pointed toe.

TashaKat
05-16-2006, 11:45 AM
My Harlicks have a small 'badge' with 'Harlick' in script on the heel. They're also purple .... I find the shape of Harlicks to be quite distinctive though I can't actually describe it! Same with Wifas, they LOOK like Wifas somehow :)

dbny
05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
- Klingbeils have an extra hook.

SP Teris have copied that hook. The only way to tell them apart now is to look for the badge, or if you get a real close up of the toe, to look for the stitching around the lace holes. On Klingbeils it forms an inverted "V" pointing away from the tip of the boot.

jazzpants
05-16-2006, 01:38 PM
My Harlicks have a small 'badge' with 'Harlick' in script on the heel. They're also purple .... Okay, so we know that if someone turns in a pair of purple skates to the police that it's probably belongs to one of us? :lol:

FWIW: there is a skating coach at my weekend rink that also has purple boots, but hers (I think) is a SP Teri and it's a light lilac suede fabric!!!

Mrs Redboots
05-17-2006, 05:00 AM
Gams seem to have a very wide gap where the tongue fits, I don't know why that should be. Although the husband's don't (I have a sore thumb from re-lacing boots after polishing them, and know his boots all too intimately right now), for some reason. Both my pairs have had.

sunshinepointe
05-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Some Graf models have a slot in the back that some people* put miniature crystals in.

*some people = me among others :halo:

jenlyon60
05-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Okay, so we know that if someone turns in a pair of purple skates to the police that it's probably belongs to one of us? :lol:

FWIW: there is a skating coach at my weekend rink that also has purple boots, but hers (I think) is a SP Teri and it's a light lilac suede fabric!!!

I have a friend who has pink pearlescent (sp?) Harlick dance boots. They are neat looking.