View Full Version : Curious... Pop Concerts Anyone?

sj702
05-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Does your rink/skating program have monthly Pop Concerts?

I've noticed that the rinks here do not have regular 'Pop Concerts' and I've been wondering if that was something that just is not done any more.
Back when I was skating seriously, we had regular monthly Pop Concerts. It was a really great training aid. Everyone/anyone of any level or ranking would perform their programs in front of family, friends, coaching staff and of course other skaters. It was a time to get used to skating in front of a crowd as well as a time to evaluate what worked and what did not in a program. It was an opportunity for coaches, choreographers and consulting judges to confer and offer advice. It was also a great way to promote skating to the community as well as the beginer crowd. Oh yeah, even those in the trial judge program, used the pop concerts as practice.

AshBugg44
05-15-2006, 11:00 PM
We allow up to 2 skaters do exhibitions after ice cuts on pubic sessions, every day.

sj702
05-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Hmmm... Well, that's a shame that the 'pop concert' has died. Not that many responded to the poll, so I'm guessing that "No" and "What the hooey is a pop concert" is the overwhelming answer.

Ashbug, 'pop concerts' were more than just an exhibition or a program run through. Our exhibitions were done with show lighting and were limited to a small cross section of competitive skaters, but the 'pop concert' was more casual than the exhibition... More like a dress rehearsal for compitition and great training aid for all the skaters in the club working on a program, competitive or not. It was not required but most coaches strongly encouraged all to participate. It really helped with learning how to overcome nerves in front of a crowd and working the bugs out of program presentation. It was like I stated in the first post an oppotunity for all involved with the skating program_ skaters, coaches, choregraphers, judges, supporters, sponsors, etc... Too bad no one does them anymore.

AW1
05-16-2006, 09:53 PM
I was completely confused as to why a thread about Pop Concerts was in the Skating section honestly!!

To me a Pop Concert is if U2 or Robbie Williams has a concert... like a music concert.... so what is a Pop Concert exactly to you?? 8O

mikawendy
05-16-2006, 10:14 PM
The rinks I skate at haven't offered something like pop concerts while I've been skating. However, when I went to uni, I took a lot of dance classes, and the dance department had something similar on Fridays--people could bring their pillows to the dance dept. and watch choreographers present their works in progress for an audience, critiques, etc. No fancy lighting or costumes, but a chance to get input from peers.

(AshBugg44, there's a funny typo in your post. Just thought you might want to know.... ;) )

flying~camel
05-17-2006, 06:49 AM
In the fall, winter & spring, our club puts on Sunday exhibitions that anyone can sign up for and do their program.

We also allow 2-3 skaters to perform exhibitions right before group lessons on Saturday mornings.