View Full Version : some dumb questions ...

AW1
05-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Sorry I have to get this out of my brain because it's been bugging me for a while now.

Firstly - what is COP? I see alot of people mentioning it here and on a synchro board I go to but I have no idea what that means?

Secondly - what is the difference between an Artistic and Interpretive? Am I correct in saying that in an Artistic you have certain elements you must include but that you don't have to in an Interpretive?

Reason I ask is because I notice someone mentioned in another thread about people turning up to competition wearing something like they were to be competing in Interpretive but it was Artistic?

That leads to this question - what's the difference between Artistic and Interpretive costumes then??

Sorry for all the dumb questions :??

jp1andOnly
05-15-2006, 12:33 AM
COP= Code of points..aka IJS..aka CPC...its the "new" judging system.

Artistic/Interpretive: basically the same. In the US they also have something called showcase. Thats where you get the real big costumes and such. Up here in CAnada, we don't have showcase.

Sorry I have to get this out of my brain because it's been bugging me for a while now.

Firstly - what is COP? I see alot of people mentioning it here and on a synchro board I go to but I have no idea what that means?

Secondly - what is the difference between an Artistic and Interpretive? Am I correct in saying that in an Artistic you have certain elements you must include but that you don't have to in an Interpretive?

Reason I ask is because I notice someone mentioned in another thread about people turning up to competition wearing something like they were to be competing in Interpretive but it was Artistic?

That leads to this question - what's the difference between Artistic and Interpretive costumes then??

Sorry for all the dumb questions :??

AW1
05-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks for your reply. I have found the quote by Terri C about the costumes so if that were the case, it wouldn't really make any sense...

Friday night was interesting also for the Artistic programs... many of the competitors in my group came dressed as if it was a Adult Interp event... UGGH!

Ok so maybe I'm getting my abbreviations all mixed up ??!

Thin-Ice
05-15-2006, 03:41 AM
Artistic is one name for a USFS non-technical event in which the music can include lyrics and there are no required elements. In some parts of the country it's also called Interpretive and at Adult Nationals it's called Interpretive. Costumes have a tendency to be more elaborate than for technical events.. and in some cases hand-held props are used (i.e. a cane, a hat, one year at AN, Terry Jinks actually juggled during his Interp!).

BUT in ISI "Interpretive" is when they play a piece of music 2-3 times for skaters in the event and then one more time while the skaters are warming up on the ice.. and skaters must make up their own new program to that piece of music that presumably they are hearing for the first time that day.

Sometimes you have to figure out from context which "Interp" the speaker/poster means.

Mrs Redboots
05-15-2006, 05:46 AM
Artistic is one name for a USFS non-technical event in which the music can include lyrics and there are no required elements. In some parts of the country it's also called Interpretive and at Adult Nationals it's called Interpretive. Costumes have a tendency to be more elaborate than for technical events.. and in some cases hand-held props are used (i.e. a cane, a hat, one year at AN, Terry Jinks actually juggled during his Interp!).Under NISA rules, small props are allowed for Artistic; the schedule usually says that "the skater must perform an exhibition-style programme". You have to be able to carry your props on and off the ice in one journey by yourself, though - but it means you can have a chair, for instance, or a screen.....

BUT in ISI "Interpretive" is when they play a piece of music 2-3 times for skaters in the event and then one more time while the skaters are warming up on the ice.. and skaters must make up their own new program to that piece of music that presumably they are hearing for the first time that day.ISI Interpretive = everybody else's Improvisation!

AW1
05-15-2006, 05:57 AM
so in that case can anyone else tell me what we have in Australia then? I assume we have ISI?

Mrs Redboots
05-15-2006, 06:09 AM
I doubt you would have ISI, as I think - but I could be wrong - that this is a purely American organisation.

The ISU is the world-wide governing body of the sport, which is what you might be thinking of, and there is an Australian Skating Federation called Ice Skating Australia (http://www.isa.org.au/) which is your governing body!

aussieskater
05-15-2006, 06:42 AM
so in that case can anyone else tell me what we have in Australia then? I assume we have ISI?

AW1, we don't have ISI; the best we can do is Artistic (as in "Macquarie Ice Rink Artistic" comp, or "MIRA"). I think it'd be great if we had something less formal than tehcnical comps all the time!

BatikatII
05-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Our rink has just hosted an inter-club artistic competition. This being the UK, artistic here is judged on 5 areas, technical, musical interpretation, choreography, use of costumes and props and 'artistic impression'. All judges give a second mark for 'entertainment'. Freestanding props can be used. Any elements can be included and unrecognised/illegal moves ('swimming' on the ice for example) are not penalised. The highest level skaters tend to do exhibition style programmes with less use of costumes and props.

Interpretive competitions are also run and follow ISU guidlines I believe. Only hand held props can be used along with costume and the emphasis is on musical interpretation rather than technical elements. No doubles are allowed at any level.

Improvisation programmes here are more like the ISI style interpretive. Skaters hear the music for the first time just before the competition itself and listen to it for 15 mins. they have to improvised the programme and the elements are strictly limited (often just one jump and 2 spins) so there is more emphasis on linking moves and interpretive steps than jumps. Costumes for Improvisatin are supposed to be restrained and therefore suitable for any type of music (since you dont know what you might get)

It would be really helpful if the governing bodies could agree on the same names for the same type of comps!

Isk8NYC
05-15-2006, 10:05 AM
I doubt you would have ISI, as I think - but I could be wrong - that this is a purely American organisation.The ISI professes to be an international organization. They often highlight their footholds in the Middle East, Far East and Asia in their magazine. Yet, their website doesn't really communicate that well, so I'm as confused as you. (I'm a former ISI skater, too!) However, the ISI Worlds used to be held in Singapore and other places outside the US. The ISI is steadily losing LTS programs to the USFSA's Basic Skills programs here in the US, so maybe they've lost some of their international ground as well.

Thin-Ice
05-16-2006, 02:44 AM
I doubt you would have ISI, as I think - but I could be wrong - that this is a purely American organisation.

The ISU is the world-wide governing body of the sport, which is what you might be thinking of, and there is an Australian Skating Federation called Ice Skating Australia (http://www.isa.org.au/) which is your governing body!

ISI (used to be ISIA which stood for Ice Skating institute of America -- but dropped the "of America" about10-15 years ago) is actually an international organization based in Texas. ISI has rink-based competitions in many places. The biggest outside the US tend to be in Asia. And the premiere event of the ISI season is ISI Worlds.. which always includes teams from the Middle East and Asia.

And wouldn't it be much easier for ALL of us, if they had picked different initials.. I realize they want "Skating" in their names.. but between "International" and "Ice" there are WAY too many "I"s in all these abbreviations!:lol:

Mrs Redboots
05-16-2006, 06:39 AM
I stand corrected about ISI, then!

Isk8NYC
05-16-2006, 07:06 AM
Since we started dating in the early 1980's, my now-DH has referred to the two organizations as "isafisafisa.." (ISIA) and "ooosafasafasa" (USFSA). Anytime I mention a test, competition, or membership he goes off blabbing it like a maniac in staccato syllables! LOL!

My kids test and compete USFSA as well as ISI, although my teenager refuses to skate in a USFSA competition (even Basic Skills). She's not a tough competitor, but she's always a good sport. We have a good time and always make friends at the ISI comps, so that's okay. (I think they all want to pass Mom in badge collecting! The USFSA book is nice, but the pretty badges are nicer.)

The ISIA was out of Minnesota, right? I remember that they were always very helpful to me when I was a skater. When they moved to Dallas and dropped the "A" I guess they lost all of their staff. I have yet to order sometime from Dallas that doesn't have a problem. My favorite was when I printed their online order form, filled it out and mailed it the same day. They returned it because the prices had gone up $1.50 and they hadn't updated the website. I couldn't believe they didn't just fill the $80 order and send it with a note about the change in prices.

Now, the USFSA is also known as 'US Figure Skating' in words, but kept the "A" on their acronym.

I'm getting too old to keep up with the names. (Where's the "decrepit" smilie?)

Back on topic, the Ice Skating Australia LTS program is interesting: they have category tests: Spins, Jumps, and Footwork with sub-levels in each. I wonder how the group lesson programs are organized and run?

twokidsskatemom
05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Isi Usually has alot more events to enter into, more than USFSA.Last ISI comps by daughter did 11 events, her last USFSA she did I think 4.Its good for the experience alone !!We do both for that reason .

iceygold
05-17-2006, 07:09 PM
AW1, you need to visit the following websites for Australia.

www.isa.org.au
www.isaq.org.au

You will find rulebooks, information on COP etc on those websites. ISA DO NOT use ISI, they are an ISU affiliated association. You must be an International Skating Union (ISU) member (meaning the country must be a member) in order to participate at World Championships and Olympics. ISI members cannot participate at Olympics. ISI is not recognized by the International Olympic Committee.

In saying that ISI is a very good system and is predominantly in North America.

As a newcomer, welcome to the world of figure skating. It is truly a beautiful sport.

AW1
05-18-2006, 07:41 AM
AW1, you need to visit the following websites for Australia.

www.isa.org.au
www.isaq.org.au

You will find rulebooks, information on COP etc on those websites. ISA DO NOT use ISI, they are an ISU affiliated association. You must be an International Skating Union (ISU) member (meaning the country must be a member) in order to participate at World Championships and Olympics. ISI members cannot participate at Olympics. ISI is not recognized by the International Olympic Committee.

In saying that ISI is a very good system and is predominantly in North America.

As a newcomer, welcome to the world of figure skating. It is truly a beautiful sport.

Um thanks :??

iceygold
05-18-2006, 06:17 PM
AW1, it appeared you were seeking information so I posted the information for you. It also appeared that you are very new to the sport (your child is in Aussie Skate), having been a national sport administrator I was simply offering you some advice which may be helpful for you in the future.

AW1
05-18-2006, 07:55 PM
iceygold thanks. I know of both of those sites but was trying to relate how what we did here is related I suppose to what others do overseas.

iceygold
05-18-2006, 08:34 PM
It is interesting to hear how other countries run their competitions and tests.

In Australia we have predominantly technical competitions with some artistic competitions scattered in. Sounds like it won't be too long and your daughter will be doing her Preliminary test. She can skate interstate competitions then as she will be at the National testing entry level. I hope she does very well. There are some very good coaches at Acacia Ridge.

We need to encourage more people to skating.

iceygold
05-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Sorry to sound like I am preaching. I truly love this sport and have enjoyed the figure skating athletes I have worked with over the years. I am a big supporter of encouraging more young children to take up the sport and stay in the sport.