View Full Version : I'm really bummed

Skittl1321
05-13-2006, 09:40 PM
So I drove to Cinncinnati today to get fitted for skates. I was all set to get Jackson Competitors with a Protege blade, and the fitter was describing how he mounts the blade. He looked at me and said "Oh did you decide to go with the 3s instead of the 3.5s?" Yep, the blade was too big. So the hockey guy there (the one who kept telling me that the skates should feel comfortable like running shoes, as opposed to the actual fitter who kept rolling his eyes and telling me they should be very snug but not painful) said "we'll make it fit." I looked at the blade on the bottom of the boot- and there was no way to "we'll make it fit"

So no skates for me. I'm really disappointed because I wanted the freestyle (which they didn't have in my size- you'd think since figure skating is populated by little girls they could cater to small shoe sizes) I told the competitor and protege were above my price range- so they were going to give me the pair for $250, which was a great deal. I didn't order any because they have a "if you order them, they are yours" policy and I want to be able to say no if they don't fit- not to mention I can't get a discount on the blade if it's a special order.

Long story is here- if you're interested.
http://community.livejournal.com/skittles_skates/5071.html?nc=5

Now I'm bummed and not sure what to do next. I guess I'll just have to wait until I move to Iowa and drive to Chicago. I thought about buying them online from somewhere that allows returns, but the thought of heat molding them myself is freaky, and the only place I can find that carries my size is Amazon.com- which is just weird.

Either way I'm stuck in my lousy pond skates for Basic 5 lessons (that start in June, I don't get to skate for the rest of the month) and not happy about it.

Mercedeslove
05-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Sorry about the bad experiance. If you do wait to you go to Chicago, I'm assuming you are going to rainbo sports. I have been to their store a bunch of times and they do a very very good job. They make sure they fit and everything. The staff is very friendly and kind.

I wish you the best of luck and if you come out this way. Lemme know. Maybe we could possibly meet up for lunch or something.

techskater
05-14-2006, 09:28 AM
If you are serious about Jacksons and will wait until you get to Iowa, get them in Des Moines from Burt (who goes by livestoskate on this board). He's a coach and a Jackson dealer.

Skittl1321
05-14-2006, 10:04 AM
If you are serious about Jacksons and will wait until you get to Iowa, get them in Des Moines from Burt (who goes by livestoskate on this board). He's a coach and a Jackson dealer.

Thanks for the recommendation- that's alot closer than Chicago. I'm willing to get whatever works, but the Jacksons fit well and were mostly in my price range.

iceskaterdawn
05-14-2006, 11:58 AM
I also want to say that I had a great experience with Rainbo Sports when I went there to get fitted for my skates. I can't even remember how many different brands and styles of skates they had me try on before we settled on the right ones for me. They were very professional and very friendly. So if driving to Chicago is an option for you, I'd highly reccomend them.