View Full Version : Riedell or Jackson?

littleiceskater
05-10-2006, 07:29 PM
All things considered...comfort, support, durability ect....which brand??? Which all around has better quality boots? Help?!:??

sj702
05-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Get fitted/sized by a well experienced skate boot fitter who has access to a variety of skate boot brands... And then let your foot decide. Every brand skate is a little different in size and fit, the skate brand that best suits your own foot anatomy will be the best choice overall. Also remember to keep the ratio of skating level = to stifness of boot. You don't need more boot than you can handle.

If you are trying to save $$$ you can always get fitted/sized by a pro then shop online for a good deal, as long as you know your correct size in the brand you need/want.

beachbabe
05-10-2006, 10:16 PM
well in my opinion...jackson.

Most of the beginners at my rink go for riedell as beginners, but usually end up with skates that are way too long in order to accomodate width and they wear thibk socks to compensate. The thing is, riedell fits a very specific foot type: long and narrow. I only know a couple of the higher level skaters that actually use riedell, because it is so easy to get fitted incorrectly and skaters feet are usually not that narrow lol. Riedells also tend to be very expencive for relatively low models. Like the gold medallion is I think like $300 which is more than Jackson competitor model that will give much, much more support.

That said, in my experience jacksons break down fast, but it could be because i continually go for boots below my level to get the easy break in. I hate breaking in skates. Jacksons definately accomodate a slightly shorter and wider foot, which seems to work great as a beginning boot and many people stay with it after. I have never heard anyone complaining about breaking in a pair of Jackson's. While there is one girl thats been breaking in ehr silver stars for 3 months now and she still can't bend her ankle. She is just beginning freestyle, but that said i feel sorry for the poor girl who has blisters all the time. Jacksons seem to be very forgiving, and in my experience the padding molds very well to the foot.

but with all that in mind, many of the higher level skaters end up in harlicks, klingbeils or sp teri's (which my coach is trying to get me to switch in to so i will get more life out of my boots)

in the end its whatever fits you best and what is in your price range.

wow, that was long lol

flo
05-11-2006, 09:12 AM
I've had both. I also have wide feet. I prefer the Jacksons, but am going back to try Harlicks.

Kristin
05-11-2006, 10:09 AM
All things considered...comfort, support, durability ect....which brand??? Which all around has better quality boots? Help?!:??

Whichever one is right for YOUR feet. I would take the recommendation from your boot fitter. Everyones' feet are different & you just have to go with the one that is going to get the best fit for YOU. Good luck.

littleiceskater
05-11-2006, 03:43 PM
thanks guys...you were all very helpful...i guess my feet will decide for me...:)