View Full Version : sweepers and podium flower givers (or whatever they are called)

ddpskater
08-30-2002, 12:56 PM
Hi. In Dallas, auditions are coming up for sweepers and the kids who hand up flowers to the podiums. Does anyone know what level skaters are generally chosen for these positions for televised events. My kids (8, boy, Delta and 12, girl, pre-pre) want to try out. Is it worth trying? The application just says that they have to be able to go forward and backward strongly and stop quickly and easily, which probably is the bare minimum, but I don't know. Thanks!

Mrs Redboots
08-30-2002, 01:25 PM
I should let them try out. It's quite possible there won't be enough applications, and even if there are, your kids might be chosen. You will, I am sure, explain to them beforehand that not everybody is chosen and though it is very disappointing if you aren't, it happens to everybody from time to time (etc). You could explain, if they are very young, that sometimes when you are cooking you want a metal spoon, and sometimes you want a wooden one, and it doesn't mean there is anything the matter with the one you don't choose, just that it isn't what you want this time.

At our rink, there is always a problem at local competiitons as most of the little ones want to compete, and of course they can't get on the ice until they have. Last time, one of the mums was flower-girl for the first competition, as she wasn't skating later, and her daughter, who didn't fancy competing, has also done stirling service. But they have moved away....

Mazurka Girl
08-30-2002, 03:27 PM
Here are the requirements from the Worlds page to give you an idea:

Ice Sweepers:
http://www.worlds2003.com/story.php?news_ID=34&catID=1

Award Presenters:
http://www.worlds2003.com/story.php?news_ID=35&catID=1

rinsk
08-30-2002, 04:21 PM
I really don't know how it's done.

I'd wonder if size would almost make more of a difference than level (can't have the ice sweepers towering over the competitors) as well as availability (are the kids able to go for the events they're needed for?). If too many kids apply, I could also see it come down to pulling names out of a hat.

It sounds like it could be a really great experience for your kids. Good luck to both of them.

Terri C
08-30-2002, 07:12 PM
One of the kids that I skate with recently tried out for flower sweeper for Worlds in DC. She is intermediate level. I thnik they have to be Juvenile or above , between the ages of 9-13.

Black Sheep
08-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Wonder how come they don't let adults try out....:?:

Figureskates
08-31-2002, 08:28 PM
They do at some events. At the Synchro Nationals at Lake Placid in March, I had the opportunity to do so to fill in for another adult at the last minute. problem was it was the one day I left my skates back in the hotel room....what an idiotic thing to do...

ddpskater
09-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice. It would be very exciting if they could do it.

bellyflop
09-06-2002, 08:40 PM
In the tryout for Nationals in Boston-the kids all had a great time-so even if they didn't make it it was a really fun day. Some of the requirements were:

1. Age 8-13 (think that is correct) Olders skaters were the flower presenters.

2. skate crossovers forward and backward

3. be able to stop to pick up stuff on the ice.

4.perform footwork sequence of their choice.

5.follow simple instructions

6.decent stroking-to get quickly across the ice

They took skaters who were at pre-preliminary level-juv/intermediate. I may have missed something but this should be a good guide.

Mazurka Girl
10-24-2002, 08:58 AM
Here's an article about ice sweepers:

Ice Sweeper Article (http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=5807152&BRD=1430&PAG=461&dept_id=185335&rfi=6)

ddpskater
10-24-2002, 10:00 AM
Thanks to all who encouraged my daughter to try! She made it. She's a sweeper. My son chickened out and scratched from the audition, but he was on the bottom of the age cut-off, so I can't say I'm unhappy as that would have made me nervous!

Susan
10-24-2002, 05:56 PM
Congratulations to your daughter

I am sure it will be a wonderful skating experience and memory for her!

bellyflop
10-24-2002, 08:32 PM
They also may need chaperones-to help organize the sweepers-so if you want to help as a parent? You can!:)