View Full Version : Surgery, Down Time, The Blues!

MusicSkateFan
05-09-2006, 10:39 AM
:cry: Well my slight (or so I thought) knee strain about one week before adult nationals has turned out to be a little bit worse than I thought(ok a lot worse!)

Short version...MRI shows 2 areas of miniscus tear, 2-3 areas of bone sprurring(arthritis), ACL damage, and a big cyst on the back of my knee!

Surgery will take place before Memorial Day.
No Adult Clinic this year!

Good news is that while I am away in Europe (July 4-August 14)I will be well enough to work on strength training, etc and hopefully return to the ice by August?

In the mean time....I will skate until my leg falls apart! lol
:roll:

Just when my spins were coming along.....I am doing a 1z seq 1f,1l,1t !!!!
and I was starting to get some of those damn silver moves!

Oh well.....
Sort of have the Blues about it but...I want to get it taken care of ASAP!

jenlyon60
05-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Having suffered from a Baker's cyst in the back of my right knee (that still acts up every now and then) and other miscellaneous damage... if you can get it fixed sooner rather than later... Go for it.

(I still haven't figured out normal health insurance enough to have my right knee cleaned out...)

NoVa Sk8r
05-09-2006, 10:56 AM
We'll miss your presence on the ice, as well as your perseverence, enthusiasm, determination ... and amazing spirals!

Here's to a speedy recovery!!!

Debbie S
05-09-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your knee, MSF. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I'm sure you'll get your lutz combos and Silver moves back in no time. :)

LoopLoop
05-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Aw, MSF, that's too bad! I'm sure your muscle memory will "stand you in good stead" when you get back on the ice in August.

garyc254
05-09-2006, 11:38 AM
One thing I discovered when I had my knee surgery, the great conditioning that skating gives our leg muscles really helps during recovery.

Best of luck on the surgery. Get back on the ice as soon as you can browbeat your doctor into releasing you.

`

MusicSkateFan
05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the cheers, etc. It helps! NoVa, as I said, I will be pounding away probably until the day before surgery so you will get a few more of my spirals whizzing by!

I may even try to get the basics of the 8 step down before then too!

"Survive, survive, survive......" ("Mommy Dearest" Reference for those who know!)

Terri C
05-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Awww, man that sucks!! :cry:
If I can say anything, at least you can save $$$ for when you come back to the ice and you'll be stronger than ever!

jazzpants
05-09-2006, 04:46 PM
BUMMER, MSF!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

But looking on the bright side, you found this early enough before it got worse... and you'll be skating (knee) pain free when you do get back on the ice... and it'll definitely make life a lot easier on those Silver moves in the end!!!

passion
05-09-2006, 07:15 PM
I just had surgery four months ago so I can empathize. I wish you well, and don't let your mind play games with you. Get a really good physiotherapist (I swear by it) to help you get yourself back together again. It will make a big difference.