View Full Version : Help with spins please!

Evelina
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Hello,

Since you were all so brilliant and gave me lots of good advice on the loop, I thought I'd pick your brains again, this time about spins. So I am having a nightmare of a time on the parallel spin. Granted I have only started learning it not long ago, but I have spent hours on it - literally - and I can't get it. The best I do is one revolution and then my leg just kind of falls and I can't help it! Any advice?

I was also told today I need to get my sit spin all the way down, so I am spinning in the Teapot position. 2 hours later and a very soaked backside I still can't do it, I seem to have a problem with going down on one leg with the other one extended, for the Teapot I go down and then extend the leg which is easier. Suggestions much appreciated!

Ev :)

NickiT
05-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Without seeing what you are doing I can't really help, but I will say that the thing with spins is lots of practice. Two hours spent getting down into a sit spin isn't enough. Being realistic, unless you are exceptionally talented, it will be more likely several months if not years depending on how much time you spend on the ice. Pretty much the same with the camel. I started working on this probably around 3 to 4 years ago and it's only really become consistant this year, and even now I still mess it up. Just keep working on these spins and you will get there!

Nicki

SpiralSweetie09
05-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Im not a pro on spins, but I practiced so hard to learn them, that ive improved a lot, and it feels great, all i can tell you is to practice. Oh, and off ice too. I do on our hard kitchen floor while wearing my soccer socks, or if you have a spinner that would work nice too. I havent tried one, but I've heard they work tremendously.

Best of luck in skating!
Lauren

doubletoe
05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
The camel spin (I didn't realize it was also called a parallel spin) is a tough one to master. It will take awhile. A couple of tips that always help me are:

CAMEL SPIN:

1. Get low on your knee on the entrance edge and push your chest out over your skating knee while keeping your shoulders back. Make the entrance edge round, and hold it longer than you think you need to before initiating the spin.

2. As you go into the spin on the entrance edge, make sure you keep your shoulders level and be especially careful not to let your leading shoulder (left shoulder for most of us) drop. Keep it high, while keeping your chest parallel to the ice.

3. Keep your chin up (i.e., look up!) from the moment you push off onto the entrance edge, and throughout the whole spin.

4. To keep from getting pitched up onto your toepick, keep your knee slightly bent for the first revolution, and never completely lock it out; keep the knee "soft".

SITSPIN:

1. Keep your back very rigid and arched on the entrance edge and as you swing your free leg to the front.

2. On the entrance edge, get down as low as you can and extend your free leg as far behind you as you can.

3. For the swing, keep the back rigid and arched (chest out, shoulders back) and keep the free leg straight and extended behind you. Then swing the free legit wide and powerfully but smoothly, focusing on staying on the ball of your blade as you do so. Turn the foot out quickly as soon as the free leg reaches 2:00 (or 10;00 if you skate CW and swing the left foot). Unless you turn the foot out before it is in front of you, you won't be able to get low without planting the heel of your blade.

4. Once your free leg hits the skating leg (and it will, if you swing it right), keep lowering your rear end and pushing the free leg forward until you feel the top of the calf of your skating leg pressing against the inside of the thigh of your free leg. Once you feel this, that means your skating thigh is parallel to the ice. To get used to the feeling, try it off-ice in a pair of shoes with a 2" - 3" heel. Also, remember that it's easier to stand up out of this position when you're spinning, so if you can do it on the floor, you should be able to do it on the ice.

By the way, I can testify to the fact that it is possible to get your sitspin this low in just one practice session. That's what happened when my coach told me how to feel for my skating calf against the inside of my thigh.

bbowie
05-09-2006, 10:42 PM
camel spin is pretty hard spin, it takes heaps of practice for you to get how this spinning should feel like. I practiced more than half an year to get it pretty consistent n confidence.
A few tips here i hope can help you :
1. Dont lean too forward/ low when you are entering the spin.
2. Dont kick/hold the right/ free leg too high behind you when you are entering.
3. Dont look at the ice , try to keep you head up .

Hope that can help. And the most important thing is keeping practicing . I know you did heaps of them already. But you still need to keep practicing and practicing til you nail it!

beachbabe
05-09-2006, 10:53 PM
now that i know parallel spin is actually a camel, her eis my advice:

do not try to treat it as a spiral spin. The goal is not to get the leg up as high as possible or to stick your arms out. Think of your body as a T and try to get into position immediately as you go in to the spin. Don't try to lift up your leg higher as you spin. Basically if you miss the entrance you won't be able to get in position in time. If you get in to it correctly make sure to keep your arms at your sides and DO NOT LOCK YOUR KNEE- so many people do this and wonder why they can't spin. Also resist the temptation to look at your foot, look straight ahead or anywhere but don't let your head drop.

to practice sistspins, do lots of dip-shoot the duck moves, it helps. Then at home put on your skates and guards and lean up on the wall and get in to shoot the duck position and try to find your balance point. A spinner would really help you with getting the balance just right. Or maybe you need to lift weights to strengthen that leg.

techskater
05-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Camel spin:
The best advice I was ever given on the camel spin was "sweep the table (with the leading arm in the spin) and then put your (female anatomy) on the table"

doubletoe
05-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Camel spin:
The best advice I was ever given on the camel spin was "sweep the table (with the leading arm in the spin) and then put your (female anatomy) on the table"

Yeah, that's a good one. I actually think, "Coffee table" because that makes me keep my shoulders level and my chest parallel to the ice, while also reminding me to stay low on my skating knee on the way into the spin!

doubletoe
05-10-2006, 06:15 PM
P.S. I believe that "female anatomy" needs to be clarified. Men have it, too, it's called, "your chest" LOL!

Skittl1321
05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
P.S. I believe that "female anatomy" needs to be clarified. Men have it, too, it's called, "your chest" LOL!

You know, before I read the clarification I was trying to picture how that instruction would have worked, because putting "that" on a table didn't seem to match my image of a camel :)

Casey
05-11-2006, 03:43 AM
Whenever I try camel spins, my weight falls to the inside edge, it's a real (and thus far, impassible) challenge to keep my weight enough to the outside to stay balanced for more than a revolution or two...

Mrs Redboots
05-11-2006, 01:02 PM
You know, before I read the clarification I was trying to picture how that instruction would have worked, because putting "that" on a table didn't seem to match my image of a camel :)ROTFL! :D :D :D

doubletoe
05-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Whenever I try camel spins, my weight falls to the inside edge, it's a real (and thus far, impassible) challenge to keep my weight enough to the outside to stay balanced for more than a revolution or two...

You might be initiating the spin before your entrance edge is done. For the camel, you need to make the entrance edge very round and stay down low and hold the entrance edge until you feel like you have already done a complete circle. You won't, but it will feel like it. Then come up gradually, focusing on the ball of your foot and keeping the knee soft instead of locking it out. Also, make sure you are turning your free foot/hip out and getting that free hip high so it doesn't pull you onto the inside edge too much.

Skate@Delaware
05-11-2006, 06:39 PM
to practice sistspins, do lots of dip-shoot the duck moves, it helps. Then at home put on your skates and guards and lean up on the wall and get in to shoot the duck position and try to find your balance point. A spinner would really help you with getting the balance just right. Or maybe you need to lift weights to strengthen that leg.
You actually read my mind-this spin was my nemesis this past season....and what you are suggesting is what I decided to do this summer to "train" myself!!! I just got my spinner and now if I can actually get myself geared up to do this...

I have been hitting the gym but had to back up due to a medical problem (soon to be healed but for now now heavy squats or leg stuff)....then I will be doing more leg stuff: squats, lunges, curls, and extensions which should really help. I also plan on incorporating some plyo work....I will let you all know how it goes!!!8O

Casey
05-11-2006, 09:26 PM
You might be initiating the spin before your entrance edge is done. For the camel, you need to make the entrance edge very round and stay down low and hold the entrance edge until you feel like you have already done a complete circle. You won't, but it will feel like it. Then come up gradually, focusing on the ball of your foot and keeping the knee soft instead of locking it out. Also, make sure you are turning your free foot/hip out and getting that free hip high so it doesn't pull you onto the inside edge too much.
Thanks. :) Today I actually tried looking out forward instead of at the ice and that made a big difference - not really a good one because I'm totally not used to the idea of that, but it felt like it helped overall. A side effect of not being used to it was that I indeed stayed lower and that felt a lot better though I didn't manage to get more than a couple revolutions because it was awkward newness. I think these bits of advice will really help over time though!

luna_skater
05-12-2006, 11:39 AM

I have this same problem, and it helps when I remember to keep my free leg behind me, keep my free hip high, and ride the edge as long as possible. I also need to remember to keep my arms square and get my chest right over my skating knee. Still working on getting the timing of the left arm "sweep" just right.

flying~camel
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
3. Keep your chin up (i.e., look up!) from the moment you push off onto the entrance edge, and throughout the whole spin.

I recently started thinking about raising my chin on my forward camel and it has helped tremendously! It's funny to think that something so minor could make all the change in the world :P

doubletoe
05-12-2006, 02:08 PM
I recently started thinking about raising my chin on my forward camel and it has helped tremendously! It's funny to think that something so minor could make all the change in the world :P

It's always something "minor" and the more difficult the element, the more true that is! I used to wonder why I messed up my camel spin so often in practice but always managed to complete it in competition. Now I realize it's because I was focused on "presenting" in competition and that made me keep my face up as I went into it! LOL!

doubletoe
05-12-2006, 02:11 PM
I have this same problem, and it helps when I remember to keep my free leg behind me, keep my free hip high, and ride the edge as long as possible. I also need to remember to keep my arms square and get my chest right over my skating knee. Still working on getting the timing of the left arm "sweep" just right.

Yes, keeping the free leg behind you (and almost a little crossed behind you) is great advice!

looplover
05-12-2006, 03:27 PM

:D :D :D

Thank God you posted that. Because what I was picturing was very strange indeed, and I was wondering why it had to be on the table,

lolol:lol:

vesperholly
05-12-2006, 04:09 PM
What helped me was doing a camel position on the boards first, then doing the spin. Stand with your left side to the boards and go into a camel position. Put your right skate and left arm on the top of the boards. See how your right leg almost crosses behind your left leg to reach the boards? That's how far back it should go in the spin.

I also try to think of stretching my left arm (CCW) towards my right skate. But you also have to keep your right shoulder checked back or you'll just pull your shoulders around and that will hurt the spin.

jazzpants
05-12-2006, 04:09 PM
:D :D :D

Thank God you posted that. Because what I was picturing was very strange indeed, and I was wondering why it had to be on the table,

lolol:lol: http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d030.gif (Thanks for the good laugh, doubletoe!!!)