View Full Version : Jumping Question

SpiralSweetie09
05-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Ok, heres my problem. My coach has this crazy idea in her crazy head, that I should be learning jumps that im not supposed to know for about 3 more levels? (Im in FS1) Only problem is... I have the memory of a (INSERT WORD HERE) ... exactly. I cant tell if Im doing a toe loop, or A flip, or... gah, and My Salchow, it bites. I can't seem to go from a 3 turn into a toe pick jump. Idk why, its just too wierd for me. My coach keeps teaching me things beyond my level, because it seems pretty easy for me, Ive been practicing a lot. But now Im all confused and shes getting pretty upset... :cry: I have no clue what to do... I want to jump, I want to show her, but if I keep getting confused?... I was just wondering if anyone had any advice? On memorizing these jumps? And also... If anyone has a Spinner, what do you think about it?
~Best of luck in skating~
Lauren

VegasGirl
05-08-2006, 08:50 PM
I know exactly what you mean, I used to have the same problem!
I think it's just that your brain get's overloaded with all the things it's got to remember and process... all those things are connected to an action (correct arm position, entry, foot position, body form etc etc etc), the only thing not directly associated with an action are the names of those jumps and I think that's why it takes a while to remember. Don't get frustrated just keep chipping away and you'll see eventually you'll ne able to put the names with the correct actions. :)

Chico
05-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Write things down. Just the process of writing them down helps you remember and then if you forget you only need to look at your notes. You can even ask your coach to do this for you if needed. Have your coach break things down into three or less things to work on each lesson. You should only focus on one new skill per lesson, as a newbie it can overwhelming. I agree, coaches and more advanced skaters can forget how difficult learning a new skill can be. Your normal, =-), have fun and write things down. Oh, my first coach sang skills to me. Sounds weird but it helped me remeber. Pick a familiar tune for each skill and sing. When you forget, sing. I found even when I forgot the process I could always remember the song and thus the steps of a skill.

Chico