View Full Version : I need some advice...

Leda
05-08-2006, 12:57 PM
ok I am in a class with one of my friends and like 4 little kids. my and my friend are progressing really well but the little kids are struggling. I feel that me and my friend aren't being "challenged" in the class. Not to mention the fact that our coach doesn't want to be teaching us... hes just not motovating and has to ask us what we did the past week. I am getting a bit annoyed and am not sure if me and my friend should ask if we can have our own class. any opinions? I am feeling a little stuck...

Isk8NYC
05-08-2006, 01:13 PM
If you ask for your "own" class, chances are you'll find out that you're the only two non-kids at this level during that time slot. I doubt they'll start a new class for two students -- it's not cost-effective to have that small a class:teacher ratio. They may assign a helper to the class, which would be good.

How flexible are you about taking classes on another day or at another time? At our rink, we have a decent-sized adult group lesson on Monday, but other than that, the adults have to skate with the kids because there are just too few adults to make up a class.

What if you and your friend asked about semi-private lessons? You would get to choose the instructor, split the cost, and the time could be during the public sessions.

phoenix
05-08-2006, 01:23 PM
They probably can't put you in your own class w/ just 2 people; I know at my rink we have to have 5 in a class to run it. Perhaps what would work is to find a coach that would teach you semi-private lessons w/ just the 2 of you. You'll probably make more progress that way, and have more fun!

SpiralSweetie09
05-08-2006, 04:54 PM
They probably wont let you have your own class. But, Make friends with girls from higher levels, And ask them to teach you things that are a bit more challenging. If your level coach is a real drag, dont wry, Once you pass, theres a chance you will move on to a different coach. right? And Talk to some of your other coaches during free time (if you have this at your class?) and they can help you. If all else fails, talk to the director. Or get private lessons?
~best of luck with skating~
Lauren

Leda
05-08-2006, 05:07 PM
well actually Me and my friend are both homeschooled and we skate during a homeschool slot during the middle of the day. so they are happy if anyone comes since usually my class and one other class with three people are the only ones on the ice. so I just wanted to know if you think my coach will stop me from living up to my full potential or not. if you get what I am saying...

SpiralSweetie09
05-08-2006, 05:26 PM
well actually Me and my friend are both homeschooled and we skate during a homeschool slot during the middle of the day. so they are happy if anyone comes since usually my class and one other class with three people are the only ones on the ice. so I just wanted to know if you think my coach will stop me from living up to my full potential or not. if you get what I am saying...

Thats nice that you have so much room to skate, But lack of people is not that cool. Our class is very crowded. make me feel like im scrunched, yea, try doing a spiral when theres about 20 kids next to you, awful just awful, and like... 2o kids in front of you. I would still ask a coach to learn some more tricks.
~Best of luck in skating~
Lauren

Leda
05-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Thats nice that you have so much room to skate, But lack of people is not that cool. Our class is very crowded. make me feel like im scrunched, yea, try doing a spiral when theres about 20 kids next to you, awful just awful, and like... 2o kids in front of you. I would still ask a coach to learn some more tricks.
~Best of luck in skating~
Lauren

Thanks for your advice!;)

cassarilda
05-08-2006, 10:03 PM
I dont suppose you could organise a private lesson with the two of you? Sort of like a joint private? At some other time?

I was in a similar situation with the weekend group classes, and my mate from skating and I were very interested in doing joint privates, but unfortunately, there is no other time we are able to get together during the week..

But maybe its an idea?

Mrs Redboots
05-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Lots of coaches find group lessons rather dull, and, to be honest, your instructor will be concentrating on the little kids. It might be worth while seeing if someone would be able to take you for a shared private lesson instead - lots of people do that, and as you and your friend are much older than the others in the class, it would probably work better for you.

Leda
05-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Lots of coaches find group lessons rather dull, and, to be honest, your instructor will be concentrating on the little kids. It might be worth while seeing if someone would be able to take you for a shared private lesson instead - lots of people do that, and as you and your friend are much older than the others in the class, it would probably work better for you.

thats what I will probably do... Thanks again to all of you for your advice! :)