View Full Version : Ankle Sprain - Would you skate?

rf3ray
05-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Hey guys, I managed to sprain my ankle doing a Lutz, but it wasnt on my landing leg. After coming back from the the rink it has become slightly swollen.

A) It hurts not walking, and I can do a TEA Pot (Shoot the duck position)

Question is should I give it a rest or should I have a lesson tomorrow with my coach?

I can jump on the sprained ankle, its just when I move it in certain positions?

NickiT
05-08-2006, 06:18 AM
Personally I'd give tomorrow's lesson a miss. Though it doesn't sound like you've done anything too serious on it, it's probably going to need a few days to recover and skating on it may put more stress on an already injured ankle. You may also find that when you wake up tomorrow morning it may hurt more as in my experience, these things tend to seize up over night.

Keep applying an ice pack to it, put on a compression bandage and rest with it elevated. That way it will heal fast and will result in the minimal time off the ice.

Nicki

Skittl1321
05-08-2006, 06:35 AM
I'd make sure to rest it.

I did something to my ankle (doctor just said "overuse"- but I didn't go until 8 weeks after the initial injury, so who knows what happened to start with. The doctors I get to go to really stink in explaining whats wrong.) and kept working on it, because it didn't hurt during the lessons, just while walking. So I sat out for 2 weeks and then got back to lessons. Then it started hurting during lessons. So I sat out again. It stopped hurting, as soon as I got back on it it would hurt again. Doctor told me to stay off of it for 8 weeks. I would be working on it a lot sooner if I had thought to really let it heal the first time.

VegasGirl
05-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Agree, I'd stay off the ice and give the ankle a rest... better a couple of days now than to cause more severe injury and possibly be off the ice for weeks!

SpiralSweetie09
05-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Dont go to your lesson. Make sure you ice it, and elevate it, gentle stretches might help also. Think of it this way..
Would you rather...
A. go to the ice rink and move in a wrong way, and hurt yourself even more?
OR
B. give it a rest and try to heal it, that way, it wont iterfere too much with your skating later on.

Best of luck in skating!
Lauren.

jazzpants
05-08-2006, 06:12 PM
STAY HOME!!! DR. JAZZPANTS ORDERS!!! :twisted:

And don't come back on the ice until you can actually walk on it w/o any effort whatsoever... Trust me on this!!!

Thin-Ice
05-09-2006, 03:04 AM
Do yourself a lifelong favor... DON'T skate.:!:

I sprained my ankle shortly after I started skating. I went immediately to the doctor and did all the right things. BUT my first competition was scheduled for about 3 weeks later.. so after 2 weeks of being very good, I went back to the rink and of course, it wasn't fully healed. I STILL have problems with it.

Years later I went to a sports med doctor who has treated lots of skaters and believes everyone should be passionate about some sport. He says I would not still be having ankle problems 20 years later if I had just pulled out of the competition, done two more weeks of "all the right things" and let it heal all the way.

And of course, it IS my landing leg!:frus:

SkatingOnClouds
05-09-2006, 04:23 AM
Well I have to add my vote for staying home and resting.
If you can, a visit to a physiotherapist might be good.

Thing my physio told me years ago about sprained ankles is that if you don't treat them right, you get scar tissue, meaning that you never regain the elasticity of the tendons, therefore never regaining full strength in the joint.

Chico
05-09-2006, 10:36 PM
You should stay home. However, if it was me I'd skate. I'm sorta stupid this way, probably should stay home and be smart.

Chico

beachbabe
05-09-2006, 10:57 PM
better safe than sorry!!!!:D

If you're not sure give it a few more days and your anle will thank you

rf3ray
05-10-2006, 02:18 AM
It really sucks not skating :-*(, I also have off ice training on this Sunday, should I attend that? I am preparing for a test soon

NickiT
05-10-2006, 02:30 AM
It really sucks not skating :-*(, I also have off ice training on this Sunday, should I attend that? I am preparing for a test soon

I know it's not good missing out on skating, but it's better to miss it just for a few days than really do yourself some damage and end up being in a plaster cast for weeks. As for the off-ice training, Sunday is a few days away and if you've rested up all week you may be able to give it a go, depending on the severity of your sprain. However it may be wise to give it a miss just to make sure. You'll stand a better chance of skating well in your test if you've allowed your ankle to heal properly rather than struggled to train on it and end up in pain.

Nicki

rf3ray
05-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Would it be wise to have a pressure bandage on whilst I skate for this Sunday fellow skaters?

ÞãÏ® §kÅT€®
05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
i have had numerous ankle injuries due to skating, and i have always decided to take the time off. If you are sure you want to get back on the ice so soon, make sure your ankle is not frozen. This may feel great while you are skating, but after the freezing leaves, there is the chance of tweaking the injury again.:cry: As for wearing a brace or bandage inside your skate, it all depends on how much room there is. Not many skates allow for braces or bandages, but it's worth a try.:)

fmh
05-11-2006, 06:04 PM
let it rest for a day or two, then see what happens later

lovepairs
05-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Give it a rest, and cancel your lesson. Besides icing it down eat some IBU Profin to reduce any swelling. You don't want to injure it anymore than you have, so give it a rest. Injuries no matter how small are the pits! :frus: