View Full Version : insoles?

beachbabe
05-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Ok, so i took out my insoles to dry yesterday and my dog totally chewed one of them up. Now i have no clue what to put in my skates.

So any tips on what insoles you all use would be great. I used to use just the ones that came in my jackson's but obviously they are half chewed right now and I need something else.

I asked my pro shop and they didn't have any insoles at all, so i kinda need something fast as I have a lesson tomorrow. Are drugstore insoles ok? which ones?

sj702
05-06-2006, 11:54 PM
You can try the drugstore variety or you could try...

Sole Custom Footbeds, it's an over the counter heat moldable insole/orthodic:
http://www.yoursole.com/

or try Superfeet
http://www.superfeet.com/

I don't know if I posted the linky thing right but you can google them and check them out, I've used both brands and think that there're great, I have yet to heat-mold the SOLE custom footbeds 'cause we're in the middle of a kitchen remodel and the oven is out of commission right now.... I'd feel odd asking my friends to borrow their oven for my insoles, so for now thats on hold but I know a gal who has and she absolutely loves them!

gt20001
05-07-2006, 07:14 AM
I am currently using the superfeet brand in my skates right now and have been very happy with them when i first got my skates i had to put a generic sole in one skate becuase one of the soles was left at the skate shop and i could tell a difference between the two skates. I prefer the superfeet over a regular sole.

Mrs Redboots
05-07-2006, 07:30 AM
My coach recommends thermal insoles, but those might be difficult to get at this time of year. I should just use whatever you can get, for now - drugstore cheapest are probably fine!

samba
05-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Superfeet also for me.

As for the dog, no treats for at least a week. Reminds me of when I found one of my chiffon dresses totally wrecked when one of my cats got into the wardrobe.

SkatingOnClouds
05-08-2006, 03:24 AM
I've just got orthotics for work shoes, and am wondering whether Superfeet slim might be an option for my skates. My orthotics are hard, no padding at all and my feet really hurt.

When you heat mold superfeet, can you mold them to the shape of your orthotics?

vesperholly
05-08-2006, 04:02 AM
I have Dr. Scholl's Double Air-Pillo (http://www.drscholls.com/product.aspx?prodid=65) inserts. I get the men's version because it's easier to cut down. I'm very curious about the Memory Fit (http://www.drscholls.com/product.aspx?prodid=79) ones, but so far I've been too cheap to buy them in case I don't like them. :lol:

sj702
05-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Vesperholly, I tried dr. scholls memory insoles and found them to be a big disappointment, of course I did't care for any of the dr. scholls insoles, none had enough support and made my feet cramp.

Beachbabe, if you take your remaining Jackson insole with you to the drug store and compare it to the others you will notice that the jackson insole has a bit of a heel cup and arch support, infact it says 'Jackson Anatomically Designed', try to find something simular in support, you will be doing your feet and skating a favor. I do highly recomend boths brands of insoles in my original post Superfeet and SOLE, I love them so much I use them in my other shoes as well. They both trim easily and both will fit into Jacksons.

SkatingonClouds, if you go to the Superfeet website you will find dealers in your area, take your skates with you... I've used Green in my skates because the place I went to did not have the grey/skate model instock, but the Blue, green, grey will work. Superfeet even offers a 'custom' personalized fit at some retailers, check for your area. They even have thermal if that is an issue for you. I have met a few skaters who swear by Superfeet customs for their skates.
Now SOLE Custom Heat Moldable Footbeds, have 3 different models that will fit into skates depending on your skate and personal comfort... The slim model has no cushioning; then there is a moderate model with something like 1.5 Softec cushioning material which helps with impact [those are the ones I have]; and theres another with something like 3.0 Softec. A gal put these in her skates and they were a little tight, then she tried heat molding them and she says they fit like a dream. SOLE doesn't have their 'retailer near you' thingy up to date on their website so you might want to call around if you choose to try them.
***I just noticed that you are from Austraila, I couldn't find a SOLE retailer in my area so I called them [# on website] and they were very helpful, I ordered off the website and had no problems with my order.

Aleeta
05-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Interesting, I tried my green Superfeet in my skates and my heels fell asleep in about 20 minutes and I had to take them out. When I asked the guy at the pro-shop about it he said that I had literally put too much arch support in my skates (I have beginner Ridells) and had squished my foot in the middle. At the moment I have the normal insole in there that came with the skates with a chopped up part of a Dr. Scholls pad just under my arch (my arches collapse when I put weight on them and don't actually make a whole lot of contact with the middle part of my skates)

I wonder why my SuperFeet are fantastic for my hiking boot, but I couldn't get them to work in my skates. They are fantastic inserts though if you can get them to work.

flo
05-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Take out the other one, trace it onto thin leather - turn over and use it. Or you can trace your foot or an insole that fits and trim as needed. My Harlick insoles are thin leather, and the date the boot was made is written on the bottom.

sj702
05-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Aleeta,
It's probably the brand, Riedells run a little long and narrow compared to other brands like Jacksons, Grafs, Klingbeils or Gams... Right now I'm using [limping along] Jackson skates, til I get back into shape and save up for new customs.... There is no way either brand would fit into my customs, I have a very narrow heel and a wide ball [C/AAA], my arch muscle is very large for a low arched foot and my left foot is slightly larger and wider than the right, so only custom othodics would fit in a custom boot. I've had a lot of problems w/boot fitters even after visiting Harlick in San Carlos and having customs made twice, both didn't fit. I've just recently seen Phil and he noted more of my foot oddities so I need customs before I really start skating again. Anywho, a lot of it depends on the skate boot and the make up of your foot. Insole companies aim for the average of a population and make of shoe.

beachbabe
05-08-2006, 04:24 PM
well i just bought some cheap ones to use just for this week, but i have a question:

for those of you that use SOLE or Superfeet, which particar insole do you use, because i'm sure you all understand me when I say my skates don't exactly have any extra room. I get them as tight as I can without yelling in pain. I mean, these insoles look all nice from the pictures but it seems like they are very thick and would take up a lot of room.

sj702
05-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Beachbabe,
This is what I have in my jacksons and they fit fine, this model was suggested by their reps for skates when impact moves are involved and they are really no more bulky than the insoles that came with your Jackson skates, but they are better designed, put together w/better materials.

SOLE Regular SOFTEC is designed for medium to tightly fitting footwear. Designed to provide shock absorption in footwear with reduced volume, SOLE Regular SOFTEC comes with 1.6mm of our proprietary cushioning material (SOFTEC). SOLE Regular SOFTEC also provides excellent support and a heat moldable, custom fit.

There is a younger gal who has put this in her Jacksons, her concern was impact of jumping, at first they were snug fitting, but after doing the heat molding process she says that they fit fine... but I might be concerned with bulk in this model...

SOLE Ultra SOFTEC is designed for footwear with removable insoles. Made for applications where shock protection is critical, the SOLE Ultra SOFTEC footbed comes with 3.2mm of our proprietary cushioning material (SOFTEC). SOLE Ultra SOFTEC also provides excellent support and a heat moldable, custom fit.

Then there is the slim sport, this one has no cushioning for impact but is recommended for skates...

SOLE Slim Sport features an ergonomically designed, heat moldable EVA base. The increased hardness of the high-density EVA frame provides maximum control for high performance applications. Designed to provide superior support and control for use in low volume footwear, SOLE Slim Sport also features a moisture wicking topsheet to keep your feet cool and dry.

Superfeet has a insole called Performance Skate, this is the one that I did not find locally. So I used the green and it worked fine in the Jacksons.
Here is the link for the Performance Skate:
http://www.superfeet.com/content/grey.html

----------------------------------------------------

gt20001
05-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Interesting, I tried my green Superfeet in my skates and my heels fell asleep in about 20 minutes and I had to take them out. When I asked the guy at the pro-shop about it he said that I had literally put too much arch support in my skates (I have beginner Ridells) and had squished my foot in the middle. At the moment I have the normal insole in there that came with the skates with a chopped up part of a Dr. Scholls pad just under my arch (my arches collapse when I put weight on them and don't actually make a whole lot of contact with the middle part of my skates)

I wonder why my SuperFeet are fantastic for my hiking boot, but I couldn't get them to work in my skates. They are fantastic inserts though if you can get them to work.

I had reidells at one point and tried to replace the insole because the originals were so uncomfortable they were beginners as well i go tthe thinnest regular insole i could find and they just squished my feet up i had to put the original back in and i had to use that insole that squished my feet up in the reidells in my jacksons when i got them becuase i left my other orthotic at the shop and they had to mail it to me and that foot that had the thin insole felt like there was too much room in the boot compared to the one with the orthotic so i agree it depends on the skate which will fit best

Casey
05-19-2006, 11:13 AM
I also use the Sole footbeds in my Grafs. It's like night and day. The Sole's actually have some arch support and my feet don't slide forward and back in the skates like they did with the old insoles. The last time I tried them both at the rink, it resulted in me angrily shoving the Graf insoles into the garbage bin, so that should say something. :D The first couple times I wore them skating my feet got a bit cramped, but that went away quickly and they've been a dream since then.

Totally worth the investment - less than a pair of bunga pads, and they last longer too. The only caveat was that it took a while to carefully trim them to be just the right shape for the insides of my skates, but I don't small mind a bit of work and used my old insoles as a template to some extent...