View Full Version : Best entry for an outside Spread Eagle?

cassarilda
05-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Just curious...

Im ok on inside Spread Eagles... just need to learn how to get into an outside one :D

froggy
05-04-2006, 06:32 PM
this is something work on every now and then when i have time after practicing my mitf and freestyle, from back CW crossovers (just 1-2 don't need/want too much speed when just learning), with right foot on a back outside edge slowly turn the body facing out of the circle, open up the left hip and place the left foot on an outside edge! be sure to keep knees straight, back straight and hips open and pushed out in front, breaking at the waist looks awful and makes your behind stick out real bad :o)

good luck! practice practice

flo
05-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi,
I do these clockwise from back crossovers with the left foot in place first on a back outside edge, then the right. It's a bit harder from forward crossovers but can look good. I also like to go into them from an inside eagle, roll over to an outside.

To begin to learn one I would suggest startinng with an inside and flattening it out on a line. When it's on flats, then look over your leading shoulder (mine's the right) and go on outside edges. Don't try too big of a spread at first, just get the feeling.

doubletoe
05-05-2006, 02:01 PM
I can now do an outside spread eagle from any entrance under the sun, but my big breakthrough was when an instructor showed me how to get into it from an outside mohawk. I had been trying to do it for months, and after learning this technique, I had it within a week. Here's how to do it:

OUTSIDE SPREAD EAGLE - Outside mohawk entrance

1. Preparation: Holding onto the wall and facing the wall, turn your leading foot out and place it down on the outside of the blade. Now point the toes of your trailing foot and bring it down, heel first into the instep (arch) of your leading foot. Notice how it makes your trailing foot turn out and fall right into place on an outside edge.

2. Now, stand in the middle of the rink, facing the end of the rink. Take a few strokes straight forward, then push off at a 90-degree angle toward the side of the rink, pushing onto whichever foot is your leading foot (the knee of the leading leg will be bent). Pushing off at a 90-degree angle will put you on a nice deep outside edge on your leading foot. You want to feel like you're almost on the side of the blade, and going in a big circle around your own leading shoulder.

3. Looking over your leading shouder, gently swing your trailing foot in front of your leading foot to solidify the outside edge, straightening the skating leg at the end of the swing. Now bring the trailing foot back halfway (so that it's in front of you at about a 45-degree angle), turning the foot out and pointing the toe. Lock the knee out straight.

4. With the knee locked out straight and the foot turned out and pointed, bring the trailing foot in, heel first, to the instep of your leading foot (the skating leg is already locked out straight). The trailing foot should fall into place and turn out as soon as it is on the ice. Make sure you shift at least half of your weight--maybe more-- to the trailing foot once you put it down. Also, try not to keep looking down at the ice once you've brought the trailing foot into place. Look in the direction you're traveling.

5. Look over your leading shoulder and pull your leading shoulder back. This will solidify your outside edge.

6. Now squeeze your butt in and try to pull your thighs closer together. This will straighten your body. This part will probably take awhile to achieve.

7. You can get out of an outside spread eagle by shifting all of your weight to one side and lifting up the other leg, or by switching over to an inside edge to end in an inside spread eagle (I like to do an outside to inside spread eagle, then lift my back foot and go into an inside 3-turn with the leading foot).

kayskate
05-05-2006, 04:25 PM
I can now do an outside spread eagle from any entrance under the sun, but my big breakthrough was when an instructor showed me how to get into it from an outside mohawk.

This is how I learned to do it, granted mine is not especially good and I do not work on it often. However, the swing of the free leg and placement on the ice seems to open the hips. Something similar also works for an inside eagle.

Kay