View Full Version : New skill basic

AndreaUK
05-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi

Today was my first ice skating lesson and I learned a new skill only I cannot remember what it is called. It has a name and I think it begins with S but I am not sure what it is.

Basically what I had to do is, skate around the painted circle on the ice. I would glide on my left foot and push with my right. As my right foot came level with my left, I would lift the left up so that the blade is parallel with the ice. When placing the left foot back onto the ice I would push with it, the free leg would be extended. The free leg would then come back next to the left leg, left leg lift parallel and when placed down again push.

I was told that this is something I will learn before i start to do crossovers but I cannot remember what the name of this technique is called. Can anyone help me?

Andrea xx

NickiT
05-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Sounds like a chassee (sp?) to me! Does that ring any bells?

Nicki

AndreaUK
05-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi, Yes that does sound right. I remember when she mentioned it that it sounded like some sort of food and a little exotic but it does sound like that yes.

Andrea xx

dbny
05-04-2006, 03:17 PM
If this were a chasse, then the left foot would lift and again take the ice straight down without a push. The only push would be from the right foot, which would extend at the end of the push.

I actually cannot figure out quite what you are doing from your description. Is your right foot crossing over the left without leaving the ice, and you are pushing under and out of the circle with the left? If so, then that is indeed an exercise for FXO's. The problem is that this is usually done without that push and extension from the right foot, the purpose being to develop the under push and to smooth out the right foot as it takes the ice so that you begin to do progressives rather than FXO's.

AndreaUK
05-04-2006, 03:22 PM
If this were a chasse, then the left foot would lift and again take the ice straight down without a push. The only push would be from the right foot, which would extend at the end of the push.

I actually cannot figure out quite what you are doing from your description. Is your right foot crossing over the left without leaving the ice, and you are pushing under and out of the circle with the left? If so, then that is indeed an exercise for FXO's. The problem is that this is usually done without that push and extension from the right foot, the purpose being to develop the under push and to smooth out the right foot as it takes the ice so that you begin to do progressives rather than FXO's.

Yes the left foot lifts and then goes down, the right foot pushes it and then extends. I know my coach mentioned XO's will be learned after this so maybe im a bit confused as to if i was doing chasses or an exercise for XO's heehe ah well first lesson its a lot to take in.

Andrea xx