View Full Version : Screws loose?

Hannah
05-04-2006, 11:51 AM
No, I'm not crazy yet...

I was just wondering if it is normal for the screws that hold the blade to the boot to work loose on a regular basis, and what the solution is. A bit of blue Loctite?

TashaKat
05-04-2006, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't say that it's normal for them to come loose on a regular basis but they can come loose and you should check them from time to time.

I'm not sure that I'd use a glue to keep them in as you may want to move or change your blade at some time in the future.

We used to use either the wood end of a match stuffed into the hole or a flexible wood filler and then rescrew the screws in again.

Thinking about it, though, I never had problems with this happening to my Wifas or Harlicks. I wonder if their soles are made of different stuff.

garyc254
05-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Wood glue should do the trick.

When I remounted my blades, I dipped each screw in wood glue before putting them back in.

OR

If the screw hasn't stripped the hole, a little dab of clear silicon caulk in the hole would keep the screw from working it's way out.

8-)

doubletoe
05-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Make sure you dry the blade and bottom of the boot thoroughly and it will help somewhat. Also, ask your blade sharpener to check the screws whenever you get them sharpened. Mine will usually tighten them for me and will occasionally decide to put a new screw in.

Hannah
05-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the replies! These are new boots with about 6 hours of skating on them, and one screw in the heel loosened enough to put daylight between the heel plate and the boot- I noticed this after my last lesson.

A related question: are there supposed to be screws in all of the holes in the plate, or just a couple to hold it down? (I've got two screws in my heel but about four spots where a screw could go.)

TashaKat
05-05-2006, 12:15 AM
No, they don't use all the holes so that you have 'spares' for if you want to move the blade or mount a different blade with slightly different placings.

6 hours seems a bit quick for the screws to work loose, I'd definitely keep an eye on them. Keep a screwdriver in your skate bag and some spare screws!

dooobedooo
05-05-2006, 01:54 AM
No, I'm not crazy yet...

I was just wondering if it is normal for the screws that hold the blade to the boot to work loose on a regular basis, and what the solution is. A bit of blue Loctite?

Did the fitter use short screws? (half inch). Blades usually come with some longer screws for the heel (about one inch).

Mrs Redboots
05-05-2006, 05:01 AM
I always keep a small screwdriver in my skate bag, to guard against any such thing happening - it has been known to, occasionally, either to mine or to the Husband's.