View Full Version : Other people's reactions

sue123
05-03-2006, 08:48 PM
I decided to wear capris today since I didn't have to go to work. A friend of mine saw my ankles and says "What did you do? Cut yourself?" Yes, I have scars on my ankles. And if you don't like it, too bad. I for one am proud of them. I've got a nice little irritation I got hte other day when I forgot my Bunga pads. Yes, my ankles aren't pretty. But my calves and quads look pretty nice :P

beachbabe
05-03-2006, 09:08 PM
haha, don't worry I have skaters legs too. people keep asking me if someone was beating me up or something everytime I'm learning a new jump.

I solved the problem by using this french concealer stick, its really good. plus waterproof so no smudging untill you wipe it off.

how sad, i have to wear makeup on my feet lol. Just with sandals though...which come to think of it is everyday as i live in the south haha

Mercedeslove
05-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I don't wear shorts and all because of the bruises and stuff. It gets old after a while...all the questions and stuff.

AW1
05-03-2006, 11:27 PM
I don't wear shorts and all because of the bruises and stuff. It gets old after a while...all the questions and stuff.

Look on the bright side girls, at least these people care enough for you to ask whether you are ok!! I think it's great and though I know it would become annoying people asking you after a while, it shows that they care. :halo:

TashaKat
05-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I used to get those horrible scars on my ankles too until I bought Harlicks (love em :) ).

I was ALWAYS covered in bruises especially from skating with a partner 8O I also had a bad habit of kicking myself in the shin when I was learning jumps (guess what was going wrong there then :) ).

My worst even bruise was when I had a suspected skull fracture. The entire side of my head, down my neck and behind my ear were BLACK. That's when I decided that perhaps I should go to hospital (the tennis ball sized lump hadn't motivated me!) and when they started to panic because they couldn't find a doctor (it had turned into a walk in centre rather than an A&E).

Mind you, I still am but now it's from my horse!

The main thing that bothered me about skating was that I couldn't get any trousers/jeans to fit because I actually HAD thighs and still can't get any long boots to fit because I have small feet (UK 4) and muscular calves. They seem to think that I should be 10 years old with twiglets for legs!

dbny
05-04-2006, 12:04 AM
TK, I wear the same shoe size as you! I've always had relatively large thighs, maybe from roller skating as a kid and then skiing, but I get occasional comments at the rink, usually from a mom, that I have "great legs". It really cracks me up. One even said that I had "haunches, you know, like a race horse". She did mean it as a compliment, but I'm not so sure I liked it. :roll:

When I was a roller dancer, we didn't wear tights over our legs, and all the girls had huge bruises on their upper thighs from falling. Even though I fell also, I never bruised there.

VegasGirl
05-04-2006, 05:27 AM

That's pretty sad... 8O

Rusty Blades
05-04-2006, 06:59 AM
The main thing that bothered me about skating was that I couldn't get any trousers/jeans to fit because I actually HAD thighs and still can't get any long boots to fit because I have small feet (UK 4) and muscular calves. They seem to think that I should be 10 years old with twiglets for legs!

I have big wide feet but have never been able to get a high-top boot that fits and also have trouble with pants/jeans 'cause I am narrow in the hips and massive in the legs.

Oh well, at least I don't bruise easily.

doubletoe
05-04-2006, 01:19 PM
I have big wide feet but have never been able to get a high-top boot that fits and also have trouble with pants/jeans 'cause I am narrow in the hips and massive in the legs.

Oh well, at least I don't bruise easily.

Try "trouser cut" jeans. Most of the top denim companies make them (like Seven, Citizens, Paige, etc.) and they'll show off that great skater's butt without ripping in the thighs! ;)

2loop2loop
05-04-2006, 04:16 PM
I have the same trouble with jeans. Any pair that is comfortable in the thigh is too big at the waist. If I'm not wearing a belt I can pull my jeans down without undoing them! :mrgreen:

John

Mrs Redboots
05-05-2006, 04:56 AM
I am just so glad you guys are saying this - I was wondering whether my jeans were really too tight.... but they are loose round the waist, normally! Just tight over the thighs.

kayskate
05-05-2006, 04:32 PM
I have had the imprint of my boots scarred into my ankles for yrs. Most of it has gone away since I am skating less these days. It never bothered me. Those are battle scars. I wear an ankle bracelet. Show it off. Many of my adult skating friends adhere to the same philosophy w/ toe rings.

Kay

Skate@Delaware
05-05-2006, 07:37 PM
My daughter, who is 16, was once asked by a woman, "My God! What happened to your legs?" after someone saw her scars from skating....her reply? "My God! What happened to your face?"8O

she is not known for her tact.....my mother taught me (and I did teach my daughter) if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, (dad added: unless someone says something mean, then take the gloves off......

jazzpants
05-05-2006, 10:41 PM
she is not known for her tact.....my mother taught me (and I did teach my daughter) if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, (dad added: unless someone says something mean, then take the gloves off...... Well, I guess that makes her "Daddy's little girl", huh? LOL!!! :lol: :twisted: :lol: (Awww, c'mon!!! I would be quite tempted to say that if I were in her shoes!!! She just has the nerve to say what I wish I would say! :P :lol: )

VegasGirl
05-06-2006, 08:16 AM
My daughter, who is 16, was once asked by a woman, "My God! What happened to your legs?" after someone saw her scars from skating....her reply? "My God! What happened to your face?"8O

Sounds like something I'd reply... good for your daughter to stand up to the comment about her legs!
Though we do raise our kids to show respect, we also teach them to hold their own... sounds to me like your daughter was doing just that!

she is not known for her tact.....my mother taught me (and I did teach my daughter) if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, (dad added: unless someone says something mean, then take the gloves off......

I'm on your hubby's side with that one!

MQSeries
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM

I dunno. The lady's question didn't seem to deserve the smart-alecky reply that your daughter gave. I mean, if someone like a teacher sees bruises on a child's leg then you would expect that he/she tries to find out what happened. I'm sure the lady was concerned that a kid would have bruises/scratches on her legs. But to reply back with "What happened to your face?" is a direct intent to insult the other person. I would definitely have said something back to the 16 years old.

VegasGirl
05-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Oh pleease, what next a visit from child protective services? :roll:
It's none of her bee's wax what happened to the girl's legs... period! And actually, to tell you the truth, I would not even have appreciated a stranger talking to my daughter in that manner.

kittie067
05-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I am just so glad you guys are saying this - I was wondering whether my jeans were really too tight.... but they are loose round the waist, normally! Just tight over the thighs.

I cant stand jeans anymore if they are not stretch!!(they always seem to shrink....:?? ) I'm in love with elastic bands and stretch pants nowadays.

I have a tiny waist as well (and I'm short!!) so that makes clothes even more annoying sometimes(sigh). But all of my friends are jealous,

They ask "how do get your body to shape so nicely??"

I told them to skate!!!

~kittie

Skate@Delaware
05-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Oh pleease, what next a visit from child protective services? :roll:
It's none of her bee's wax what happened to the girl's legs... period! And actually, to tell you the truth, I would not even have appreciated a stranger talking to my daughter in that manner.
My daughter later told me she responded this way because she overheard this woman laughing about how "amazing it was that the fat girl can skate so well for her size" 8O and this woman has acne scars.

My daughter is good at standing up for herself and can be polite most of the time-she was just ticked at this woman's unkind manner which bordered on hostile.

samba
05-07-2006, 12:56 PM
My most embarrasing war wound was when I got onto the ice with my blade guards on and fell on my face, result - a lovely black eye. You wouldnt believe the looks my poor husband had to put up with, he joked that I should walk ten paces behind him.

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2006, 02:26 AM
My absolutely best one was when we tripped and Husband's toe-rake grazed my leg. An absolutely brilliant set of toe-rake marks, which scarred (you can still just about see the place today, even though this happened over a year ago ) even though they barely bled and didn't even hurt.....

VegasGirl
05-08-2006, 06:16 AM
My daughter later told me she responded this way because she overheard this woman laughing about how "amazing it was that the fat girl can skate so well for her size" 8O and this woman has acne scars.

My daughter is good at standing up for herself and can be polite most of the time-she was just ticked at this woman's unkind manner which bordered on hostile.

Good for her, seems you've raised her well!!!

Isk8NYC
05-08-2006, 07:33 AM
My daughter later told me she responded this way because she overheard this woman laughing about how "amazing it was that the fat girl can skate so well for her size" 8O and this woman has acne scars. My daughter is good at standing up for herself and can be polite most of the time-she was just ticked at this woman's unkind manner which bordered on hostile. I'm with your daughter on this one. Stupid people really should tape their mouths shut because they always say idiotic, insulting things LOUDLY to be overheard. The only polite response your DD could have given under the circumstances was "Why do you ask?" or pretended to not hear her and walked away.

Skate@Delaware
05-08-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm with your daughter on this one. Stupid people really should tape their mouths shut because they always say idiotic, insulting things LOUDLY to be overheard. The only polite response your DD could have given under the circumstances was "Why do you ask?" or pretended to not hear her and walked away.
I'd go with the silent treatment, personally. A close second is to talk about something else or look at the person then look away and go about my business (I do that to really annoying people that tick me off)....

People can be sooooooo rude!!!